Call from the psychiatric hospital....

in a daze

We have the same dilemma. My kid was admitted to the hospital last night for depression/suicidal thoughts. I called his therapist. He reccommends a higher level of care than three quarter house. The program he mentioned cost at least 9,000.00 a month.

BusynMember

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Our difficult children can be so unpredictable. You said it. They can do well for days, weeks, months and suddenly they implode. I believe it is often due to drug use mixed with personality disorders. I think he's lucky he ended up in ER and not in jail. Good call about the car. Once we knew our daughter was using the car keys became unattainable to her (we locked them up). We did not want her to kill herself or someone else in a car wreck.

The knife is scary. Anytime one threatens anyone else it is an act of violence, whether or not the person follows through. I learned this in therapy, because I had not known I grew up in a violent home, although I was terrified half the time because of the chaos and fear and tossed/broken items by my family. It isn't ok to scare people or to make them believe you are going to run them over, even if you don't. He is way too old to be pulling that stuff. Most kids never do that.

The cause is probably drugs, I am guessing. He could be using a variety of drugs and not all drugs show up on drug tests. The users know which drugs do not show up. Spice (legal weed) is so dangerous that you can die from it, but it does not show up on a drug test.

Your son is getting help now. He is safe. You can try to rest and regain some composure and sanity. I'm sure, like all of us, you have done everything you could when he was younger and now it is 100% up to him to do better, both in his recreational drug/alcohol use and if he has a mental illness he needs to learn to care for and manage it.

Sending warmth and empathy...and remember,

"God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I can not change,
the Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference." This little prayers gives me so much peace. You don't really need to be religious to get the message either. Hugs!!!