Call me a grump

F

flutterbee

But what trick or treat really means for me is 2 hours of incessant dog barking.

I. Don't. Feel. Good. I don't want to listen to the dogs bark non-stop. Everything I've tried to get them to stop has failed.

I have two large bowls of candy on a chair right next to the door and right under the porch light, yet my doorbell has been rung at least a dozen times. It's bad enough when the dogs bark because they hear people outside, but the doorbell sends them into another tizzy entirely.

And once they start barking, they keep going. The kids will be long gone and they're still going at it.

I'm cranky, I'm crabby and I don't want to deal with kids or animals tonight.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Can you go for a drive to a coffee shop and just leave the candy on the porch? Come back home around 9:00... then turn out all the lights!

F

flutterbee

Well, fortunately it is 8:01 and trick or treat is officially over. I finally went in and laid down on the floor pulling the dogs against me and if they even perked their ears up, I snapped my fingers and shooshed them. That seemed to work.

Gcvmom, great idea, but I have taken pain medications. Driving on pain medications with a bunch of kids running around....prolly a bad idea. ;) I'll try to remember that for next year, though.

Just a grump today. I'll get over it.

F

flutterbee

Now that the dogs have stopped barking and my grump will be improving....

I still have a lot of candy left. I put a note out asking the kids to only take a couple of pieces so there would be enough for everyone. And they did. Sitting in the kitchen, I could hear the kids reading the note to each other and some parents pointing it out and reading it to their kids. Last time I did this in my old neighborhood, the first bowl of candy was gone with 5 kids. So this was really nice.

And it was nice hearing the little voices of the kids....."They have gum! Oh, look! They have the big tootsie rolls! Look! The big tootsie rolls!" Obviously, I had a tootsie roll fan. :D I wish I felt better and could ooh and ahh over their costumes. I do enjoy that.

I'm just soooo sensitive to noise. You know how our Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) kids react to too much stimulation? Well, that's me except I'm older and handle somewhat. I just get really, really, really irritable and want to come out of my skin.

So, it's quiet and I'm feeling better. :) Thanks for letting me gripe.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather you won't believe how I got my dogs to not bark. I put them on the porch with me. None of my dogs feel comfortable barking at kids if I'm with them. (they don't want scolded) And they actually seem to enjoy it. Molly loves seeing all the little kids. lol

Although I haven't done it since about 3 yrs ago. I spent a ton on candy and no one came, I haven't done it since. Our neighborhood is in the process of changing back over to young people.....but it's taking time.

Glad it's over. Nice that both kids and parents paid attention to the note and did as you asked. :)

Jena

hi

sorry you had a rough nite. Glad you were able to pull thru it though and quiet the dogs lol.

we also had minimal people this year was sooo sooo odd. I took difficult child and friend out again later we hadn't gotten enough candy in our first round and we were the only one's on street lol.