called Early Intervention

Ktllc

for baby girl...:sigh:
She does not have any words anymore... and I don't believe she understands much more than her own name and "no".
The lady explained they have 45 days to get everything done.
I told her that Early Intervention had completly missed V but was able to help my big boy. She asked some questions about all 3 kids and explained that things have changed. Even if the kiddo does not have a 30% delay in one area or 25% in two, they might still provide service based on the kid's history and family history.
I asked her if she thought I should wait a few more months, to kinda be sure. Her opinion is that the loss of words is bad enough on its own and the team should come and evaluate.
So I guess let's get ready for more evaluation!
Honestly, I don't want to worry too much, 'cause baby girl is quite social and has good eye contact. I think it is strictly a language/speech issue.
But then... loss of words and only "ah" sounds is not too good. She will once in a while make a "d" or "t" sound. That is really it.
She will engage with people and make herself understood when she needs some. I suppose that is a good sign.
Anyone else with experience with real young kids?
Do you guys see any red flags for any bigger diagnosis?
Oh, one more thing. Between 6and 9 months she had 6 words pronounced very clearly.
Now, after A LOT of solicitation she will attempt to say "Mama" but it sounds like a deaf person is talking. And her Hearing has been checked early spring (following ear tubes at 5months) and everything was fine.

buddy

With your family history for sure it is a great idea to check things out. Even if they say they are not too concerned, you will have a baseline for her and if things continue or get worse then you can compare. Yes, I do have to say that I have seen kids stop talking much, seeming to go backwards at a time when another area of development is taking off....like learning to do more with motor skills. It usually resolves quickly though and I would never risk it, doesn't hurt to check things out.

Good job, let us know what goes on....

Ktllc

The hearing test was about 6 months ago and she is almost 14months old. She stopped saying anything at about 10 months.
I use sign language for some key words (eat, drink, more, yes, no, sleep...). She will sign more and no, but not consistent. She has signed "eat" a few times. I usually try to make her sign before giving her what she wants, she usually gets ****** off! lol
I don't know, it one of those things where you see stuff but yet she seems to be ok.

BusynMember

I hate to bring up the "A" word, but regressive autism's first symptom is loss of speech. I hope you are right and she does not have this, but, if not, I would be looking into a medical reason. Kids that once spoke don't just lose the ability to speak unless it is autism...or some other medical problem. Has she seen a neurologist? He may want to do an MRI to make sure her brain is healthy. A child who has spoken and then stops...not trying to scare you...but I would take it very seriously and do the gamut of medical testing before I chalked it up to just a language problem or a psychiatric issue. At the very worse (and I pray it's not this) a tumor can cause a person to be unable to speak...my mother had this happen to her. I would not play around with this symptom. Rule everything out first then go from there. (((Hugs)))

buddy

it is true that not speaking after developing speech can be a form of autism (childhood disintegrative disorder). It can happen young, typically you'd notice it around 3-4 yrs old. Most professionals have never even met a child who truly has this. It is far more rare and these children tend to have a loss of many skills, it affects speech/social/motor skills. A big clue would be to look at if she is actually stopping all communication or just speech. Is she is still pointing, making eye contact, lifting her arms for you to pick her up, using the signs you taught her (eat, more, etc.) and imitating them (even if she gets ticked off, smile) ? Not to say that in addition she has some Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) stuff given you have other kids on the spectrum. Is she a kid who gets ear infections easily? Fluid in her ears even if no infection? There could be lots of things going on. She is only 1 right?

InsaneCdn

You've called Early Intervention. That is positive.

Probably a good idea to schedule whatever else you can and/or know about... to rule out as much as possible, and to find other 'pieces to the puzzle'.
- PCP or pediatrician should be made aware of the "loss" of words - what medical issues might be behind that?
- hearing re-test - its been long enough, and a "change" in between
- others may have more ideas

You are very wise to be seeking help early.

Ktllc

Her pediatrician. is aware of it. She said we'll be watching it, she is still young (that discussion hapened at her 12 month check up).
She does communicate: points, arms up to be carried, looks at people and stuff, smiles, laughs,etc. She will also use her voice, but does not babbles or make words.
The other thing I wonder about: she will not hold her bottle to feed herself. Once in a while she will if I force her, the bottle is almost empty and it is plastic. But if it is full or a glass bottle: no way. She will just be screaming in frustration. She will not drink out of sippy cup unless it is a straw one. She takes it and drink. I think it's because she does not have to tip it to drink (?)
She otherwise likes to feed herself (cheerios, small pieces of whatever).
As far as ear infections: she had soooo many that they put ear tubes in her at 6months old. No complications. At that age between 6 and 9 months she had 6 words. I kind of assume it had not affected her. At the time, when she was sick all the time, it did affect her growth, but she is now very healthy. Just small.
Last thing (lol, yes Mama is worried and wants to give all the info!): she started walking at 11months. She is doing great on that end. She is 13.5 months.

L

Liahona

I've found the Ages and Stages Questionair that my pediatrician uses are a great predictor of autism. If my kids have autism the personal/social and communication subtests are very low. Sometimes the gross motor subtest is very high with autism.

I wouldn't wait to get her tested for autism. Its one of those that early intervention makes a huge difference. Good job calling early intervention. The bottle thing sound like a sensory issue. easy child 1 wouldn't learn to walk because she didn't like the feel of pressure in her legs. She had early intervention for that. Since then we haven't had any other sensory issues.

DammitJanet

I have an uncle that we "think" has the regressive form of autism. No one is completely sure of what is wrong with him but it has to be pretty bad because he has lived in an institution for most of his life since he was in his early teens. And that would put him in his early 70s now. The family thinks that what did it to him was a predisposition for it and then watching 4 of his older brothers going off to WWII before he was 5 years old. He was never the same after that. By the time all the boys came home from the war, he was non verbal and in his own shell. My dads mom had 9 kids in total and simply couldnt handle the youngest being like that so he ended up in placement.

Now I am assuming thats the diagnosis, it could be something else.

ready2run

my nephew had a huge regression around that age too. he went from using about a dozen words to one, which was 'baba' for his bottle. he also has sensory issues. he stayed non-verbal until he was 7. once his speach came back it came fast though. he still sounds a bit odd when he talks now, he is almost 12 and he gets speach therapy still. he is now caught up to his classmates at school in most subjects and he is an amazing builder. he did not receive any type of early intervention, his mother did not fight for it so he fell through the cracks. i agree that loss of speach is most likely autism. i just wanted to post about my nephew so that you would know that even if it is an uphill battle, they can catch up in time.

Ktllc

Thanks for sharing all your stories.
But honestly, I doubt it has anything to do with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). She is non verbal but communicates really good. She uses grunting, arms, finger pointing, eye contacts, etc.
She reminds me of my oldest son who used to have a severe speech delay but is now an A student and ahead of his peers as well as socially adapted (he has like 15 best friends! ).
The only difference is the loss of words... I really cannot explain that one.
I still have to hear from early intervention for scheduling the evaluation. Will call them tomorrow.

Malika

Yes, trust your instincts, ktllc. I'm pretty sure most paediatricans would be quite unfazed by this - I know when J was a baby and I was worried about this, that and the other, the paediatrician in Morocco was always very calm and matter of fact about things, telling me that development never followed a smooth line and each child had his/her own rhythm for development. So, probably, all is and will be fine for your little girl. At the same time, of course, one needs to be open to the possibility of something else going on. This paediatrician was also the one who was very clear from babyhood, really, that J was hyperactive when so many other people were dismissing my concerns about it...

BusynMember

My son who was diagnosed with autism communicated well too without words. He pointed, he pulled me from place to place, and he grunted and made sounds. He was actually very lively and quite friendly (he became far more shy and less friendly as he grew older). His professionals, at the time, said he was too "friendly" to have autism. They were way wrong.

Your girl could still have regressive autism. That doesn't mean she won't be able to have a good life, but I think it's worth looking into. There is really no other reason a child regresses in his language that way other than extreme trauma (selective mutism). It does not sound like selective mutism. I would try to get his diagnosed by a neuropsychologist and interventions so that she can be the best she can be. Interventions are very important and you should be able to get them from your school district.

Malika

I think your children are bilingual, ktllc. Could this be relevant in any way? I am just thinking out loud, as it were, but I wonder if a small child exposed to two languages could kind of shut down for a while, until the brain sorts it all out... ?

Ktllc

Malika, being bilingual is most relevant! When my oldest was evaluated (he was about 20 months then), they did take that into account. But it is not used as a single explanation. In my oldest son's case, the therapists said that his speech was too severely delayed to be explained by the single fact that he is bilingual.
I guess although nice to know "why", it is not that important after all. If there is a delay, speech therapy is the solution. It cannot hurt in anyway. For the child, it is more like a fun playdate and it is better than having a bigger problem later on.
Despite the fact that baby girl does not use words, she does not really understand speech either unless I use gestures. Simple directions such as "give the bottle" "give the ball" I think she should understand by now but she does not. She also does not answer yes or no questions. If you ask her "do you want some yogurt" she will shake her head no. The head shaking can mean either "yes" or "no".

soapbox

Well... you're on the right track with the speech/language intervention... they should be able to pick up on any hearing issues, while they are at it...

But it could also be an Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)... if her "hearing" is fine, and she isn't showing other traits for other dxes, then maybe her brain isn't making sense of language?

nvts

Hi! Sorry I haven't been on at all...the usual family up and far more downs lately. You've got things going forward which is fantastic. My first 3 are diagnosed with Aspergers...the youngest has Early Intervention for speech/feeding issues, Occupational Therapist (OT) for fine motor and PT for a bent leg (that is straightening out). She's going to be 3 in January and is not showing any signs of autism. It is true that they'll set her up with EI services based on her delay and the family history. I agree that rechecking the hearing to rule out a physical issue. In the meantime, do the whole speech and other evaluations. It'll give you peace of mind that you put everything into place on the outside chance there's a problem.

Beth