Calling all Chefs!!

klmno

There are two types of sauces that I would love to get the recipes for (or find where to buy them).

One is "shrimp sauce" that is served at japanese restaurants. It is pink and can be used as a salad dressing or on the main entre. (It doesn't have a shrimp flavor.)

The other- I don't know what it is called. It was served at a restaurant in the Seattle area on the side with blackened swordfish. It seemed that it might have had mayo in it, maybe a little tomato flavor (not positive), a very little horseradish- it was fairly mild- not hot or spicey.

YUM!!

Oh, I took difficult child out to a buffet tonight- they have chinese, Japanese, mongolian, (sushi), and american/seafood- good price and all you can eat. We can barely move now we ate so much! Needless to say, I am not frequenting that new "HEALTHY" forum- LOL!!

:treadmill:

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I have no answer but just a quick "share". I was rolling on the floor laughing at myself when I saw your post as a gourmet sauce for me is butter on the toast I burnt. Kudos to you for cooking succesfully - I was taught by a mother who opened cans of vegetables/beans and poured them onto our plate along with spaghetti covered with ketchup! I hope you find the recipes your looking for!!!!
-Dara

happymomof2

I have no answer but just a quick "share". I was rolling on the floor laughing at myself when I saw your post as a gourmet sauce for me is butter on the toast I burnt. Kudos to you for cooking succesfully - I was taught by a mother who opened cans of vegetables/beans and poured them onto our plate along with spaghetti covered with ketchup! I hope you find the recipes your looking for!!!!
-Dara

ewwwww you poor thing! Did you guys like that? I know kids will eat and like strange things.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I have slowly learned over the years to cook at least 10 meals from scratch (I have an awesome very simple mess-up proof recipe for pepper steak in a crock pot if anyone's interested) Otherwise my boyfriend and difficult child scream when they see me turn on the stove. My favorite weird thing from child hood I still eat is spaghetti (but now with actual sauce!) mixed with sour cream. It actually took me untill the age of 27 to learn how to clean out the toaster "properly". I used to shake the whole toaster and then cleaned the counter of all the crumbs! Hopefully I'll be a better parent than a cook!!!

klmno

LOL, Dara! But, notice that if I was a gourmet chef I wouldn't have to ask for recipes of sauces I don't even know names for now would I?!!

We had a few meals out of the can too!

klmno

PS I didn't know there was any other way to clean a toaster. Do you care to share your family secrets from the kitchen or do I have to go on living like this?

ROFL

F

flutterbee

You're supposed to clean out the toaster? :bag:

While at the grocery store with my mom today, I told her that I would learn to cook if it killed me. I don't enjoy anything about it and have my stand-by recipes that I make over and over. There aren't very many. LOL I'm spreading out, though, and am trying to learn.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Oh thank you so much for the laugh!!!:rofl:

It's the first time I laughed out loud all day. Wait till I tell you how I clean the oven!!!!

witzend

The one that floored me was my neighbor, Sherrie, whose parents come from Wisconsin occasionally to visit for a few weeks. They were here last summer. She said that they make her a little nuts "helping" around the house. One day her mom is sweeping, and says to her "Sherrie! How long has it been since you washed your broom?!?! It's filthy!"

You're supposed to wash the broom? I totally think that takes it a bit too far!

klmno

Oh, Dara, you're still here? How do I clean out crumbs that fall between the oven and the glass door of the toaster oven? Seriously- this drives me nuts and I really need an answer because they are disgusting and I'm getting tired of trying to get them out by using little pieces of paper to get one crumb at a time.

Sara PA

This is the first shrimp sauce recipe that googled up:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/8 teaspoon garlic powder

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, white sugar, rice vinegar, melted butter, paprika and garlic powder. Mix well, cover and refrigerate.

The note with it says "This is the shrimp sauce found in Japanese steakhouses. It is sweet and pinkish-orangish in color. You can substitute fat-free mayo, butter, and 0-calorie sugar, and it still tastes great."
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Japanese-Shrimp-Sauce-I/Detail.aspx

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Hi again,
The irony is I actually clean houses on the side at times! So for toaster oven dilemma - Try a can of air blaster (I don't know that's what it is actually called ?!) made for cleaning computer key boards. Sometimes I also wet a cloth and shimmy it into the crack and move it back and forth until it"s all gone. I don't know what I was thinking but I recently bought one that has a glass cover that slide up over the toaster when you open it and unless your houdini you can't get in there to save your life!! Why do they complicate our lives so much??!! Cant' they make a self cleaning toaster oven??!

klmno

Sara, Thanks so much! I should have thought to try that- (googling)- i love the sauce but it sounds a little fattening now that I read the ingredients- I'll never make it to that "Healthy" forum.

Dara- great idea! I'll get some!

D

DavidH

daralex
learning the ropes

YES>>> pepper steak info PLEASE... I am so tired of boxed food... frozen pizza, beenies and weenies, pot pies I could scream... only thing I seem to be able to "Cook" for myself since Justin is in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is taco's and I cook them at least 3 times a week...

funny I eat only beef... so peppersteak sounds good... but I can not cook "Steak" as it always turns out tough and like leather...

meowbunny

One thing I found about steak is keep the salt off until it is cooked. If you're getting cheaper cuts, marinade them. London broil loves a being "slimed" with cut garlic and then a liberal dose of paprika. Don't turn them too often. Add salt and pepper at the end. The no salt was something a butcher told me. He also said NO brushing with anything. Add it before or add it after but never add anything while it's cooking. (I ignore him if it's on the bbq but totally listen if I'm broiling.)

I recommend www.foodnetwork.com for recipes. (How can you beat Paula Deen and Emeril?) They have a tremendous amount of recipes there. What's nice is they tell you if hard, medium or easy to fix and amount of prep and cook time they need. I've found all of their estimations to be pretty accurate.

Marguerite

I've got to head for bed - it's after midnight here and I need my sleep.

But serious suggestion - YOU remember how that sauce tasted, so go ahead and play with the recipe you've got so far, see how close you can get. I've got a number of recipes which I worked out this way. Many chefs do the same thing - if you asked that chef for the recipe, he probably wouldn't be able to give it to you, because he probably threw something together on the spot.

As for the fattening ingredients - as with ANY food, if you eat it in moderation and ensure you have a balanced diet of food you've prepared yourself (without a load of additives in it) then you can't go too far wrong. Eat food in season, fresh is best.
I was on a low-fat diet for over ten years, it did me no good at all. In previous years I counted calories - all it did was teach my metabolism to conserve energy, so in the long run I gained weight.
Then I counted carbs and found I had to maintain a diet of 30 g a day or less (carbs) and I lost 10 Kg over ten months - but you can't stay on such a low carb diet, you can't maintain.
Now - I follow the advice of my neurologist, plus keep carbs lower than dieticians recommend. I can maintain weight and still eat whatever I like, as long as I eat balanced and a variety.
One Aussie diet has an interesting rule - eat 15 different plants in a day. You can 'cheat' and make some of those plants various herbs you might use. For example, I would make a breakfast omelette with three bantam eggs, cheese, prawns and add in herbs such as chives, chervil, oregano, thyme, basil, coriander - that's six different herbs, all cut fresh from my garden. For lunch I might have a home-made vegetable soup (easy, with a blender) based on chicken stock to which I've added tomato, celery, parsley, onion and garlic. That's another five plants. All I need after that is carrots, potatoes, peas and cauliflower for dinner (with the steak).
As you can see, it forces you to eat with variety, which forces you to eat healthy. But it's fun and tastes great. You also fill up on good food and are less likely to be tempted by rubbish.

But as I said, I was going to bed. I'll look up recipes tomorrow, and I'll think in my sleep. With the swordfish sauce - try experimenting. A good start would be a lemon juice-based vinaigrette (lemon juice + olive oil, mostly oil - and use the good stuff, not 'lite' which is flavourless rubbish and no better for you anyway) and add a teeny bit of horseradish. Make up the basic vinaigrette then break it up into small 'doses'. To each one, add an extra ingredient, such as a teaspoonful of sugo (bottled Italian tomato sauce), a small spoonful of horseradish, a bit of onion and/or garlic. Herbs. Go easy on the extras and also, don't forget salt and pepper in the basic vinaigrette.

If you only make a Tablespoon of sauce at a time, from the larger base amount of vinaigrette, you won't be wasting anything or creating vast amounts of stuff that has to be eaten (or thrown away).

And what to eat all this vinaigrette with? Make some leafy salads, or pour it over steamed broccoli.

And if this doesn't work - try adding a bit of mayonnaise to the sauce, see if that changes it.

But the chef would have used fresh ingredients too - the best-tasting stuff usually does, plus it's cheaper and healthier. So that should limit the possibilities for you.

Good luck, as I said I'm thinking about it in my sleep now.

Good night.

Marg

donna723

You're supposed to clean a toaster? I figure the heat when you're using it at least sanitizes the gunk that's in it. Once in a while I unplug it and shake it over the garbage can. I have a self-cleaning oven but I'm afraid to use it! 800 DEGREES??? I don't think so. Not in MY kitchen!

Growing up, I never realized what an awful cook my mother was until I started cooking myself! In her defense, she had learned from my grandmother and she was pretty awful too. And mom learned to cook during the Depression, so she naturally skimped and substituted. Everything she made was plain, unseasoned, bland and burnt! She never quite learned to work the gas stove and she burned everything! Spaghetti was a can of plain tomato paste stirred into the cooked spaghetti. We had plain boiled potatoes with butter on them EVERY night for dinner. She made "salad dressing" by mixing plain white sugar with vinegar and pouring it over lettuce, but the sugar never quite dissolved - nasty. She made cake frosting with about a tablespoon of butter mixed with powdered sugar and milk - it hardened up just like concrete. Occasionally we'd have "steak" - round steak that she fried until it was hard like shoe leather - and burnt! But we didn't know any better! We never went to restaurants either, so until we grew up, we never knew any different. But we LOVED the school lunches and scarfed them up like there was no tomorrow!

This is so funny thinking about it now, but when we were little kids there was an elderly retired Italian couple who lived in a little house behind us. They were very nice but we never even knew their names and they rarely ever went out. But once or twice a week, that old lady would start cooking things that smelled so good it would make you just want to cry! She would start cooking early in the day and the smell wafted through our whole end of the block, turning on the whole neighborhood! My brother and I would stand there at the edge of their yard looking down at their house trying to imagine what she could possibly be cooking that smelled so wonderful. We even discussed the possibility of knocking on their door and inviting ourselves to dinner, but we never got that brave! Or rude. But we did seriously consider it ...

busywend

I believe the fish sauce you refer to is: Roumalade.

At least that is the one that is served with crab cakes and we recently used it with crab legs. It is an orangeish/pinkish sauce or dip. It is delicious!
:goodluck: