Calling Chefs of Filiipino food!

klmno

I like pancit that is cooked by people actually from the Philipines. There are Chinese restaurants around here that have pancit on the menu for delivery. I have tried two different ones- once with pork and once with beef. Both restaurants brought me plain cooked noodles with a small amount of meat in it. It didn't look or taste anything like the pancit I have eaten, which includes some vegies and is more of a dark yellow color instead of white. These Chinese restaurants also have a House Special Mei Fun (pancit) and various types of Lo Mein (soft noodles) and a Yat Gaw Mein (includes egg). Would any of those get me pancit that is a little more like the Filipinos actually make it? I tried to ask once when I called the restaurant but there is somewhat of a language barrier.

H

HaoZi

Have you considered emailing the restaurant critics in your area? They might have know where to find what you're looking for.

klmno

I called a 3rd Chinese restaurant. This guy understood me better and according to him, Lo Mein is the same type noodle but is yellow. They sell small quantities so I'll try it as a side order. If you've never tried "real" Filipino pancit, it's really good- at least it's one of those dishes that most people love.

DammitJanet

I have never heard of pancit but I love lo mein..lol. I get a house lo mein from my local Chinese place here that is basically like a thick spaghetti noodle with chicken, pork, and shrimp with veggies and it is steamed in some sort of brown sauce...probably a terriyaki type but I am not sure.

LittleDudesMom

k, you should really try cooking it yourself. It's made with a rice noodle which you can find at just about any grocery store nowadays in the oriental food section. It's not hard at all and you don't need any other "unusual" ingredients for pancit. Check out my two fav recipe sites - allrecipes.com or thefoodaddicts.com (great pics!) to see if they have the recipe.

Sharon

klmno

Maybe I will sometime- but I don't cook as much as I used to now that I have a job and difficult child isn't here. I like the Lo Mein - I got exactly what you described DJ- but it wasn't pancit. Maybe the Chinese traditional recipe is a little different. I'll be having leftovers tonight- I got some apetizers and egg drop soup so I have plenty. LOL! This makes it a lot easier to clean refrigerator out of foods that can go bad, get all dishes clean, etc, while packing and preparing for another week-long trip. If I get this job where regular travel isn't a requirement, I'll be able to get back into cooking some old favorites and new dishes. I've been wanting to makle some eggplant parmesan but being out of town every other work-week leaves weekends pretty hectic- especially when I had continuing educ to catch up on and now have taxes to do.

Hey- I wonder if pancit would keep if frozen???

H

HaoZi

I work with a woman from the Philippines, I can try asking her. I'm not going to guarantee that I can understand her answer.

H

HaoZi

I'll try to remember when I see her tomorrow. Memory gets sketchy, esp if we're busy.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Okay, at first I thought you were looking for pig bellies (which I am for the upcoming cook off). No clue why pincit brought that to mind. Good luck ~ I love cooking Asian & lo mein, ants climbing a stick, & pad thai are 3 of my favorite noodle recipes.

H

HaoZi

She said it's the Lo Mein (rice) noodles. And yes, there would differences in the way Chinese make it from the way Filipinos make it.

klmno

Thank you so much! I guess if I want closer to what I'd like most, I will just have to break down and try one of the recipes on LDM's links! The Lo Mein was good though- it will do if I don't have time to cook.