gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 2 had only one timeout today -- YAY! Again, for minor stuff. No violence, no inappropriate behavior with other kids.

I think the Seroquel bump is working, but I'm not sure if this is truly enough yet. He's still a bit impulsive in the late afternoon now (at least we're getting a couple more hours of coverage), so I called psychiatrist with an update and asked if we could bump him up to 600mg. I also let him know that cutting back the Depakote has improved his mental clarity :)

Hopefully he'll call back tonight or tomorrow morning and advise me what to do. I am hopeful we will finally reach a stable state in time for school this year! What a dream, what an answered prayer THAT would be! :D

klmno

Way To Go difficult child!!!!! I'm glad to hear the seroquel is working. Would an extra dose during the day be a possibility, if it's just that it's wearing off too soon?

That depakote must be a brain-blocker. My son has had cognitive dulling since he's been on it. It really controls his hypomanic symptoms that the lithium hasn't though. You know- the stuff that gets him in trouble at school (excessive talking, rough-housing, not staying in seat, etc), so I'm not sure if I want to try lowering his or not. I REALLY wish I could- he went from honor roll to barely passing.

Anyway- congratulations! Send many "thatta boy" s to difficult child from his board aunties. I think this will help him to start school on a better foot moreso than if he couldn't have finished camp.

Wiped Out

Staff member
It's great he is doing so well!:) A stabilized difficult child in time for the school year-priceless!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
psychiatrist called back this afternoon and gave the o.k. to increase the Seroquel XR to 600mg, and I am to discontinue the Depakote ER in 3 days. I hate the waiting-to-see-what-will-happen part of this! Do you know how many psychiatric medications he's tried in the past 6 1/2 years?

Let's see...

Adderall
Adderall XR
Zoloft
Risperdal
Concerta
Focalin
Focalin XR
Abilify
Daytrana
Zyprexa
Tenex
Inderal
Depakote ER
Lamictal
Klonopin
Ativan
Seroquel
Seroquel XR

I think that's all... I think that's ENOUGH. I HOPE that's ENOUGH.

smallworld

I hate to tell you, gcvmom, but my son can match yours almost medication for medication (except not as many APs and more ADs).

Glad the Seroquel is helping.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Kinda scary, huh SW?

Well I went to the camp open house this afternoon. Introduced myself to the director since we'd only spoken by phone. She said his behavior was much better and much different than last week, so whatever change had been made it was good in her opinion :) She had lots of positive things to say about difficult child 2 (he was the only kid in the whole camp who was able to capture the flag during their gauntlet game yesterday, which won him a trip to the snack shack for his pick of goodies) and that means a lot considering what a pain he can be.

So I got a tour of the forts, the maze, and then I wowed the other parents by being the first (and only 1 of 2) mom to go down the zipline into the mud pit :D Went down the water slide, tried the rope swing (but messed up my arthritic finger) and took a couple turns on the log bridge where I managed to knock three teenagers into the mud before being shoved in myself! :tongue:

husband showed up a little later and took the plunge as well. He had one dry dad come up to him and tell him he was making the other dads look bad! I guess some people aren't as tuned into their inner child... :rofl:

klmno

LOL! It sounds like you did well on your last day of camp, too! I'm glad the whole family had fun- you deserved it!