Can Depakote in a urine test produce positive for spice?

TerryJ2

We just got back from the PO mtng. They did a drug screen. It was positive for spice. difficult child swears he hasn't done anything. I suggested it may be the drugs already in his system. I gave the PO the psychiatrist's biz card. I am trying to be neutral. I just want to crawl back into bed.
Cross your fingers. I'm already pretzeled.

InsaneCdn

I do know that some rx medications will look like other stuff on a drug screen... and that some rx medications can affect how your body gets rid of other stuff... so either explanation may be logical. Or not, of course.

TerryJ2

I called the dr and missed his call ... didn't get to the phone in time. :(

Now I'm doing Internet searches because difficult child is begging me to look for false positives for clonidine, herbs for sleep (aka melatonin), concerta, and cough drops. He had one cough drop today.
I did find a false positive web page that mentioned cough drops but it didn't say how many.

The only good part is that misery loves company and difficult child is as upset as I am. :(

buddy

Gosh I hope he's not using again. Is it still true poppy seeds will cause false positives? We eat almond and lemon poppy seed muffins alot.
Maybe it was the cough drop.

DammitJanet

Is there anyway to look up what is in spice? I would say it wouldnt show up as pot or an opiate but I have no idea what spice is made up of. I have heard that if you eat a lot of poppy seeds you can pop hot for opiates but that may be urban legend.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Yes poppy seeds can show a false positive for opiates if you eat a lot. Can't answer the spice question though.

TerryJ2

Yes, poppy seeds are in the opiate family. That's not what is in spice. The weird thing is that spice has so much stuff in it, and it's different every time, but the main ingredient is always weed. And difficult child said that they did a sep weed test and it was neg.
I called the pharma. He said that the people doing the test should know the medications he's on so there is no confusion.
Sigh.
Round and round we go.

klmno

When my son was on medications- including Depakote- he always tested neg on drug tests given by PO. That being said, I'm not sure they were giving the K2 test (for spice) then but there was never any issue if PO knew exactly what medication he was on. I'd leave it in the hands of the PO to find out since you seem to have a reasonable one.

buddy

Retest him at the doctor?

I wonder if he was told by friends it wouldn't show up so he is really reacting out of panic?

Would he be likely to tell the truth if he did smoke it?

I'd think you could have smelled it on him, I can always tell smokers but not sure about spice. I don't think I've smelled that.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:sigh: Spice doesn't come up on any of the standard drug tests, so are they using a special one? because spice will NOT make one test positive for marijuana - because it doesn't contain it at all. This is straight from Onyxx's PO - to check and see if she was using spice they had to get a special test they didn't have...

TerryJ2

Hmmm. I hope the dr gets is straight with-the PO.
Meanwhile, I stopped by another pharma to pick up a urine test, and asked the pharmacist about spice. He said that the test shows the synthetic ingredients, and that Ritalin and that sort of thing will show up as a positive.
I don't know if difficult child got a new test, or if it's because he's on a new drug--Depakote--that mixes with-Concerta and other things, and the combo is what is showing up. The pharma said that is a yes and that I should talk to the dr b4 wasting $ on a blood test that is more specific.

InsaneCdn

or if it's because he's on a new drug--Depakote--that mixes with-Concerta and other things, and the combo is what is showing up. The pharma said that is a yes

Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/for...t-produce-positive-spice-53057/#ixzz2OBuNvwrO
That makes sense to me, because... these drug tests don't actually test for the DRUG. They test for known by-products of the drug that show up in urine. It makes these kinds of tests less accurate if the person is on ANY medications, and more "less accurate" the more medications there are in the combo.

TerryJ2

The pharma said that the test will look for something synthetic.

The dr just called and spoke for some time. He said (gulp) that difficult child's heart palpitations and other symptoms, plus the postive for spice, actually sounded like he used. He said he's never had anyone call up or show up for low BiPolar (BP) and heart palpitations for Depakote.
He also said that he worked with-the military for 14 yrs doing testing for drugs, incl spice, and that a new test just came out last yr that separates it out from other things such as pot, because you don't want a false positive.

He recommended a confirmation test, if the P.O. saved the urine (doubtful), and re-rest it with-the exact same company. He said a blood test is a waste of time.

difficult child is texting me now, wanting info ... oh, I had asked him about the confirmation test and he said he saw the guy throw out the urine. :(

buddy

Doesn't sound good for difficult child.

One advantage with Q is I can convince him the police have tests to know if he's telling the truth. He always tells on himself. Too bad your difficult child is higher cognitively (weird thing to say, I only mean in this instance)......

DammitJanet

I know with my UA tests they actually test for each medication I am supposed to be taking...ie...morphine, lorcet, and the blood levels. Then they do a screening for all other drugs such as benzo's which they know Im on...so that one should show up, I should also show up positive for ambien which comes up by generic name as a hypnotic. Then they test specifically for cocaine, amphetamines, pot, and other opiates that I am not prescribed such as methadone or opana. I will get in HUGE trouble if I come up hot with something else in my system...or if I dont have something in my system that I am supposed to have in it. For some reason on one test, my lorcet level was extremely low but it shouldnt have been. I think the test was wrong.

Of course, my tests cost about $200 a pop.

klmno

Terry, they called that new test "K2" here. My son had a K2 and a THC test given by his PO the Friday before his death. His was neg but wasn't on any rx'd medications then.

TerryJ2

Thank you.

Yes, it is a K2. I saw it today.
The PO called from her cell ph (nice!) and told me she found a male to do it today.
We went in and difficult child took the test.
The other PO came out and said that it was questionable.
Arrgh! Why can't anything be black or white? I asked him about a more refined, expensive test at a local lab. He said yes, people do it all the time. I said, for spice? And he said yes.
That's weird because the psychiatrist said there wasn't another one ... hmm.
The guy said that his call would be that it's clean, but given that the last one was positive, he didn't want to make the call. I told him I'd try the lab. He said, "Well, if you want to put it on him... "

I wasn't sure what that meant so

klmno

I take it to mean they are willing to let him off but if you don't want to and you want to find out for sure, you can get the other test.