Can I just say...

Wakegirl

....that no matter the hell and emotional roller coaster ride my son has put me through, he never (well, 99% of the time) walks out the door without saying "I love you". And that warms my heart. Just wanted to share a tender side of my difficult child.

buddy

That really is nice. I've heard that a few times in the last couple of weeks and I am always so surprised. It really is nice to hear.

Wakegirl

Thank you, RE. It's the one thing that has always reminded me that I did at least one thing right...teach him the importance of letting your loved ones know that you love them. Although his actions and verbal attacks have definitely counteracted that at times (many, many times), it still feels good to hear it. And I honestly believe he means it.

Wakegirl

It truly is, buddy! I'm glad you're hearing those 3 important words from your difficult child, too! It sure beats the alternative! ;-)

Calamity Jane

Wakegirl,
That's a great observation and I'm glad you hear those words each day. Hearing "I love you" fills up our tank, so to speak, so we can be energized and continue our hard work as parents. It means so much and you certainly deserve to hear them.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That is very sweet!

When difficult child is manic, she doesn't really talk with me at all, let alone say I love you. But the rest of the time, she will not only always tell me she loves me but she gives out hugs and kisses too! :eek:)

Winnielg

That's very nice. :)

It made me laugh though because when difficult child was in elementary school he made 'magnet' of sorts that is still on the fridge. It says "I love you Dad and I've proved it before..."

We used to joke that difficult child told us he loved us once in 2007, so in his mind why should he ever have to tell us again.