Can Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension cause Disruptive disorders in adolescents?

carrielsal

Has Psuedotumor Cerebri ever been linked to disruptive behavioral disorders in children? I have a 14 y/o daughter who was diagnosed last year. She did not respond to drug therapy and had a lumbar shunt installed this spring. Last year when her headaches started getting really bad she started having behavioral issues that have gotten previously worse over time. Currently she is an a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. I am trying to get her placed in Merridell's Achievement Center in Texas. I would like to know if high CSF pressure has ever been known to cause brain damage or has ever been linked to disruptive behavioral disorders. I found one study on the web on ICH and migraines that mentioned possibly memory issues due to mild brain damage caused by Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension.
Thank you,
Carrie

TerryJ2

I have no idea, but you sound like you're onto something there.
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure others here will have some info.

Josie

Is there any possiblity she could have Lyme Disease? Lyme can cause behaviour problems. My daughter with Lyme has constant headaches and I thought she was headed to the psychiatric hospital before we started treating her for Lyme.

Here's a link to a symptom list for Lyme. www.canlyme.com

I will tell you that this possibility will most likely be dismissed by the doctors treating her now. Mainstream medicine does not recognize chronic Lyme. If it seems possible to you, you will need to find a doctor that acknowledges chronic Lyme to rule it out.

Last edited:
F

flutterbee

From what I have read about about Intracranial Hypertension, it can cause behavior changes.

What kind of behavior changes are you seeing? What are the doctors at the psychiatric hospital saying?

Welcome to the board, by the way.