Can someone help with 504/IEP for difficult child

StressedM0mma

I am starting to wonder if I should try to get difficult child 14 an IEP or 504? She is missing so many morning classes. And, cannot do the work because of the depression and exhaustion that comes with the it, and the possible medication side effects. I think at this point we need more than what the school is willing to do to help. So, I figured I would come here and ask for any ideas, help I could get. Thanks

JJJ

Go for the IEP. A 504 wouldn't give the necessary protections for her.

Start by sending a certified, return receipt letter to the school asking for a full and complete evaluation due to the negative impact her disabilities are having on her education.

Ask her psychiatrist to write a letter stating what issues her disability has on her (increased exhaustion, depressed mood, etc.) Make sure it is signed by the MD not just the therapist.

buddy

Abslolutely. If at all possible, this is kind of backwards, but see if you can find out what kind of Emotional/behavioral program they have at her school. Our school has a really really nice one, sometimes I wish Q could benefit from it. (Actually the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Ebd teachers do support eachother esp. since some of the kids have mixed diagnosis...and if someone needs personal attention , they cover for eachother) These folks know how to take little moments and capitalize on them or help calm them or encourage etc. Yes, they can do behavior programs, but for your daughter since she probably does not act out at school it would be more motivational, with support to break down work, reduce what they can etc. She could have an advocate in them daily.

Just MHO, an IEP does not have to be forever, if she truly would not need it at some point, great... but a 504 would not give her as much contact with people who can really help, they are not under threat of auditing and loss of finances if they dont follow it, etc. It can be written faster though (depends on the school)....IEP would require going thru the channels so if you think you want it write the letter TODAY and you can send it registered mail, but another options is to walk it to the school or district office and have them stamp it in front of you (there is often a line that says received in district on:___) and you get a copy of it right there and then.

Start the ball rolling, heck, what do you have to lose at this point? IN the mean time, is there a counselor or social worker that can help you? Ask them to help her and also to help you go see the EBD classroom, dont worry if you see kids who have serious problems different from your difficult child. EBD programming can take on many faces including just using the room as a resource, meeting with a staff for check-ins, having them write academic goals and working on them with her etc. It is more important to see how the staff would/could help. If not there then ask what i available for kids like yours in the district. Some districts are really good at this stuff, some of course, not so good, but it only takes ONE for your daughter....ONE hero.

mine actually did a modified day for 1/2 year. she was already on an IEP, but it was a simple letter from the psychiatrist to get it done--she went to school after the first two periods of the day. in our case, one was a core subject, so we got the school to tutor her 3 days/week right after school which worked out beautifully.

her day ran from 9:30-2 (2:30 on tutor days). i would have made it a later start, but that was the natural "change of class" time and i didnt want her to miss a third class if i could help it.

the only slight hassle was that i had to provide transportation, which i should have fought and made them pay me for, but i didnt have the energy. but honestly, the benefits FAR outweighed the hassle. it was only for a semester, and mine has been able to attend a full day ever since.

LOTS of things can be done to help yours--don't let the school tell you its impossible.

StressedM0mma

Confuzzled that is what I was looking for more than anything. She is doing better, but is still having a near impossible time getting up in the mornings. Although this morning she was only 30 minutes late to school. That is a huge improvement for her. I think if she could go in a little later it would help. I just don't want her to think it can become a habit. And, I have afeeling that she would try to take advantage of it.

JJJ

Tigger had a 10:30am start for over two years.

Is your difficult child in high school or 8th grade?
How does she do during gym?
Is she academically on target? behind grade level? honors?

buddy

since confuzzled difficult child was on an IEP, they can make school day accommodations more systematic. I know a lady who tried to just adjust the school day and the school charged her with educational neglect, so for sure get the docs input in writing etc. since this could be a long term thing, I still think it would be good to go thru the Special Education route but still investigate what you can get now thru the social worker or counselor at the school, it is a really good idea.... and you know your kid, so if you think she will take advantage, you will need to problem solve that into the plan too.

no, mines IEP had nothing to do with it at all.

it came directly from the doctor--no different than if you broke your leg and needed to be excused from gym--it was a medical accomodation. i wasnt even required to amend the IEP. my process was maybe easier than some, only because the school themselves knew they played a gigantic part in things, and no doubt they knew i was done playing and a second away from filing a complaint....they needed to mitigate their own damage.

but *I* alone didnt try to adjust the school day. even if i had the time to start the process and fight the point, odds arent good that i could have done it on my word alone.

a modified day is more common than you'd think, but it does need proper documentation. any psychiatrist (or reg. doctor for that matter) should be familiar with the process.

StressedM0mma

Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions. JJJ, she is not in gym class this semester. And, she is taking all honors classes. She is in H.S. a freshman. She won't consider dropping down to less intense classes. Just want to kind of get my ducks in a row.

buddy

that's cool confuzzled. well not cool that they were treating you badly, sigh. I only really meant that it might not be enough in the long run, she has not accommodations and it seems like she may need more, so when the day is shortened, she can still come back to resources. And like this lady who tried to change things, plus to drive because the kid was afraid of men... they filed ed. neglect. Funny thing is she tested way higher than her grade level by independent testing, but the school testing showed her to be many grades behind (like 4-5 years!) the independent district tester tested her at 8th to 12th in everything and she was in 6 th at the time... so maybe nto a good example, they did seem like they were crooks.