Can someone help with digital photo resolution? I am *clueless*!

S

Signorina

I have an opportunity to order a digital file -OR- a digital print of a black and white photograph from the late '70s that I wish to give as a gift to my mom. I am happy to order the print itself - but I think an 8 x 10 is probably too large and I like the idea of making a few copies to give to my brothers... I think I would want to have 5 x 7s or 4 x 6 prints made. Which size digital file should I order?

Digital file:
72dpi, 8x10: $20 per image
300dpi, 8x10: $30 per image
600dpi, 8x10: $50 per image

Photoprint:
8x10 in.: $30.00 per image
11x14 in.: $35.00 per image
16x20 in.: $60.00 per image
20x24 in.: $85.00 per image

(Background: I was searching for a picture of my brother online for a project I am doing (the picture had been published in a newsletter) because I couldn't find it on my computer. I couldn't find it online so I tried adding details to the search, city name, putting his full name in quotes, etc. I was STUNNED when a reference to a late 1970's photographic portrait of my late Dad (brother's namesake) popped up in the city's Historical Society's archives. It was taken by a now famous photographer whose works are archived there. I don't think anyone in my family has ever seen it! They sent me a low res copy so I could preview it - and it's my dad - probably 1977 or so? I am dying to surprise my mom with it... I would have it printed by a local studio so that the quality would be good...)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't do photo copying much. But I'd make it even less complicated........take the photo you want copied to walmart photo dept and use the kodak machine to do the copies just the way you want them......it prints it right out for you. It's not hard, just follow the instructions on the machine.

S

Signorina

Well, that's the plan - but FIRST i have to get the photograph. I am thinking that I can buy the file and then bring or send it to Walgreens or wherever and have them print it professionally. I am not sure which resolution is appropriate though for a 5 x 7? The preview copy they sent me isn't suitable for printing or copying - it's very low resolution and hallmarked repeatedly to prevent making a "free" copy. [[sigh]]

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Basically dpi is dots per inch, and the more of them you have, the better quality ANY image will be (more dots=more detail). When I scan photos in, I almost always do 600 dpi. Does that help any?

InsaneCdn

GO for the most DPI you can get.
When a professional photo printer does it... they can condense that 8x10@600dpi to be even higher density which means the details stay clear.

JKF

The higher the dpi the better! The 300 would definitely work for what you want to do but the 600 will give you the best quality image.