Can someone with schizoaffective disorder also have ADD?

Melody

Hi! I'm a newbie here. My 17 year old daughter has schizoaffective disorder. She was diagnosed 3 years ago. As long as I can remember, I've thought that she may have add. She can't focus. She always has to have something to do with her hands. She is constantly forgetful, etc.... Does anyone have any ideas about this???

JJJ

Yes, my daughter has schitzoaffective and ADHD (and a few other diagnosis). The problem is that many people with mood disorders (including schitzoaffective) have very bad reactions to stims.

TerryJ2

Absolutely. And what JJJ said.
Your dr didn't say anything about that?
Have you tried medications for her? If so, what kind?

T

TeDo

Both can co-exist but as the others have said, stimulants may no be a good choice. My ex had both and took non-stimulants (when he bothered to take medications at all).

DDD

Yes, our 20 year old has been diagnosis. with both...and he takes stimulant medications every morning with no bad side effects. on the other hand in most cases (just based on personal experience and knowledge...not out of a textbook, lol) the signs of ADD or ADHD usually are identified at a young age. There are cases where that diagnosis is originated in adulthood but usually there is a history that goes back to childhood. Welcome. DDD