Can We Discuss Childhood Vaccinations?

How Do You Feel About Childhood Vaccinations

• 100% in Favor. Vaccines are vitally necessary.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Despite a few concerns - I am largely in favor.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I'm really on the fence - Vaccinations are both good and bad

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • There might be some benefits - but I am largely against vaccinations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100% opposed. Vaccinations are dangerous/ineffective/too risky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I am posting a poll because I have seen news stories about more and more parents choosing not to vaccinate their children.

Diseases like "Whooping Cough" are back on the rise...

And just yesterday - I learned that a family in my area has come down with Chicken Pox. They are offering to host a "Pox Party".

S

Signorina

We had 15 cases of pertussis in our HS -plus more in the community- in December. I was scared to death bc we were on vacation & my 74 yo mom was staying w my kids when I got the notification! Many of the kids who became ill were vaccinated so had mild cases. My h had extreme chicken pox that hospitalized him as a child- so there was no doubt my kids would be vaccinated. My neighbor died suddenly of meningitis at age 11 and it was very traumatic - his mom found him dead in the morning. Scared me to death (I was 17) I was so relieved when the vaccine became available for my own kids! I am very pro vaccine-but I remember a lot of the "scary illnesses" that have since been eradicated.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Signorina--

That was my feeling about the Chicken Pox vaccine, too! I have scars from having Chicken Pox as a kid. My little sister was just an infant and almost died from Chicken Pox. I had both my kids vaccinated...and felt relieved that they would never have to go through that illness.

Hearing that there is a "Pox Party" in my neighborhood just makes me want to scream!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
In December, I had blood work done in prep for the next round of IVF. And all was good except... My MMR vaccine had expired.

I'm an adult, right? And my kids are vaccinated, right? So no big deal, right? Except... If I were to get rubella while pregnant, I could easily end up with a disfigured or stillborn child. Not guaranteed, of course. But - NO! Scary enough that I have to pray for a easy child. I got another vaccination.

I'm iffy about the HPV vaccine. I think it's a good idea - but when it first came out, there hadn't been enough testing done in my opinion. Bio got Onyxx the first 2 of the 3 but never bothered to tell husband - and the doctor first refused to submit records and then when he did, they were incomplete. So the poor kid ended up having to start over from the beginning due to the time lapse.

Now, if this IVF works? The baby will get their vaccines. because I do NOT think they cause autism, and while other kids can get sick, mine won't. At least... Not like that.

Oh. Onyxx & Jett had all the vaccinations, but somehow went through whooping cough, scarlet fever, chicken pox and mumps one right after another in the summer of 2004...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Step--

I agree with you about the HPV vaccine. It was very rushed to the market...and then the state of TX made it mandatory right away... It made me very uncomfortable.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
As mother in law would say...........if you ever saw a child die from ________ (insert vaccine related disease here), you'd agree it is necessary. And I agreed with her. Vaccines for DPT, MMR, polio, and a few other deadly things have been miraculous. On the flip side, these are viruses that are constantly mutating.....our resistance to them only makes them mutate into stronger strains. So, what happens when our vaccines are no longer effective? The idea behind vaccines was to "stamp out" certain diseases that were deadly. Problem is, in underdeveloped countries those people are not vaccinated and the diseases run amok and mutate. We *thought* we had smallpox licked and polio, and I think TB for a while. We found out otherwise, not to mention the newer strains are stronger than ever. (as in resistant)

For those it's an ongoing battle. One that even some scientists are beginning to wonder if vaccines are worth the possible repercussions of virus mutations ect. It's become a catch 22 situation.

Vaccines are important if you would like your child to survive the deadly childhood illnesses. Period. Honestly, I think if more docs put it that way more parents would get how important it really is. We've seen a couple of generations without deadly epidemics.....people just don't realize anymore what these diseases can do.

The chickenpox vaccine is unnecessary, it's not a deadly disease if treated properly, with rare exception. (but you'll find those exceptions with any disease) I had it, but I was used as a lab rat, I'm still not thrilled about that either. Poor Nichole had both measles (the 2 wk really bad kind) and chicken pox as a baby. It was a really bad year. She was miserable and yes sick with the chicken pox, she was near death with the measles most of those 2 wks. Huge difference.

Those parents and their pox parties, omg, should have their kids taken away. While I think the vaccine is unnecessary, deliberately exposing your child to a disease hoping they catch it should be grounds to have that child removed. I never understood such nonsense or ignorance. easy child brought it home from kindergarden, trust me that was bad enough.......3 kids ages 6, 4, and 1 having them at the same time I'm surprise that I survived. lol

Of course Nichole was the only one of my kids it was available for and she can't be vaccinated because she's severely allergic to the preservative in them.

I just shook my head at the HPV one, released too soon, pushed too hard, when safe sex or NO sex is probably a better preventative. I'm afraid I'd have had to go to jail in TX just to make a point.

DammitJanet

I believe in vaccines and poor McKenzie just got her first round last month. They were supposed to do her two month ones in November but didnt schedule them right on time. They gave her 8 at one time! I told Mandy to watch her and if she got sick she could ask to have them done on a slower titration but she seemed fine.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hate it when pediatrician docs do that! (they do it in fear parent won't bring the child back) They can easily space out vaccines that are behind instead of giving them all at once. They gave so many to poor Travis once (he'd had a bad winter of viruses) that the poor kid laid down for a nap after and when he got up he couldn't walk across the room without screaming in pain. I layered Vicks (think heat) on his thighs to help unknot his muscles. It worked but man I was mad.