Can you believe???????

Lucedaleblessed

Over in Florida parents on a "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day." allowed an officer to zap their kids with 50,000 volts.

It was not only a single incident. It was at several jails and many parents.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article997379.ece
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article998415.ece

I believe myself to be a strict parent. I know that sometime kids have to experience consequence on their body, but that is even too much for me.

I didn't believe it when I heard it, but it is true. Are we that desperate?

Star*

call 911........call 911
tomorrows bi-line reads

Local cops shocking behavior seen as moronic.

I took my kid to work - they hired him. If someone had hit him with 50,000 volts I'd be hitting them with a 50mil. lawsuit.

:confused:

DammitJanet

Ok...that just seems bizarre.

I expected that to be something along the lines of how people who go into either the military or law enforcement have to get maced, zapped and do the gas mask in order to graduate training. So I expected those were the "kids" being talked about. My kid has been all three but he was 18 or 19.

helpangel

UGH change the instructions to keep out of hands of children and morons! About a month ago a 16yo in our area was tazzered while running from police and it stopped his heart (dead). I can't imagine what kind of idiot would allow someone to zap their kid, all those parents should be zapped then referred to CPS.

Abbey

Spork Queen
You know, the ONE promising job I had here was at a security firm, but one of the requirements was to be zapped. Ummm...no.

Stupid people.

Abbey

Andy

What were they thinking? For stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

I see some lawsuits coming on. Even though parents were asked for permission I bet you anything they were not informed of the extreme danger. I bet you anything these parents trusted the officials and didn't think the "shock" was going to be the real thing. They should have gotten more info before agreeing.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
These parents if I understand also work there so they should have known what it would do. Someone needs to smack some sense into those folks down there. I believe in showing kids things but not to that extent.

beth

DammitJanet

Abbey...Jamie really didnt mind the gas chamber or the mace too awful bad. I mean it wasnt the most pleasant of experiences and he really doesnt want a repeat but it wasnt really really terrible. The tazer was bad. He didnt like it one bit. He actually said he wondered why they had to get tazered when they didnt have to get shot too. Hmmm.

TerryJ2

Wow, that's a lot of voltage. 50,000.
I thought this thread was going to be about the Oregon dad who shocked his 3 kids (all under age 10) with-a dog shock collar (9V).

All I can say is that these parents gave permission.
I hope the kids were all in the 17-18 age range.
Other than that, stupid is as stupid does.

Gas chamber? Uh, yeah ... my friend had to do that. They make you take off your gas mask to see how you react. He was one of the few who got a panic attack verging on psychosis. You HAVE to know your reaction b4 you go into battle.

But that's not practicing on kids.

DammitJanet

Yes abbey....gas chamber...it really isnt all that bad. You have a gas mask on and they show you how to clear it properly. They toss a canister of gas into the room with recruits in there and they all have to pull up their masks and say their names, socials and some other info before the pull the masks back down and clear them. If they do it right and dont panic its not too bad. The mace is worse. It stays with you for a while.

My kid must be a glutton for punishment...lol.

DDD

This is on AOL news but the posts in the "news" section of the Board seem to be all directed at helping instead of griping. I hope this is the right place to post. I get so angry at the insanity.

In Florida (yes, MY State) on "Take your kids to work day" officers at the Correctional facility had the children hold hands in a circle AND THEN used the taser on one........so the shock passed around in a row.

OMGoodness! How insane are these people??????? I am just completely livid. Two or three "Officers" have been fired. Sometimes I truly wonder if our society can possibly survive with so many IGNORANT people in positions of authority. Gripe! Vent! Rage! DDD

DDD

Sorry, I missed your post altogether. I no longer know how to delete a post since the last batch of changes to the site BUT Moderators feel free to take this away. It's too disgusting to have two posts about such stupidity! DDD

Marguerite

This incident made it into the news over here too.

Our cops are only just getting tazers. But in the zeal to proote the use of tazers by our NSW police force, the Police Minister arranged for a public demonstration of a tazer being used. One of his staff (who must have drawn the short straw and perhaps wished he'd stayed home that day) was the "volunteer" to be tazered. The media were there filming the whole thing, it was a classic PR piece, trying to show how getting tazered was so much more preferable to getting shot and really, very humane. The demonstration was held in the hallowed halls of our NSW Parliament House (like having it on Capitol Hill in Washington). The Police Minister had been getting a lot of flak in parliamwnt about it and had brazenly gone ahead with the demonstration in te face of a lot of criticism and disapproval.

And it backfired badly on him. The staffer stood bravely but fell twitching uncontrollably, screaming. All of this being caught by the (not terribly supportive and happy for conflict) media. The public, who had been tentatively coming round to the idea of tazers, were horrified. What the ...?

Then the fun started, in parliament next day. We have a law in NSW - Parliament House is a no-weapons zone. It is VERY strict. Even visiting dignitaries are forbidden any weapons within the walls, unless permission has been given because of obvious and urgent personal security reasons.

And the tazer is a weapon, and the Police Minister himself broke the law by having a tazer fired within the walls of Parliament House!

I could be a little wrong on the weapons thing and our security - they may be the only ones permitted to have weapons, but the tazer was fired without security's knowledge or permission, it caused a HUGE ruckus.

Mind you - it didn't stop them issuing tazers to our cops. And despite the horror of the demonstration - I do think it is a good thing, it could mean fewer mentally ill people shot dead through the need to immobilise/disarm them.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sparkles-scully-zaps-parliament/2006/09/28/1159337263834.html

Marg