can you use a urine sample to test for...

can you use a urine sample to test cholesterol level? Our family doctor couldn't check my daughters choles. level by urine and said it would have to be checked by taking blood.

She is 6, has had high cholest in the past and we left the pediatrician. doctor and now our children are seeing my husband and my family doctor. We have had a lot of problems with physicians here so they are going to the same doctor we are. (family doctor)

Thanks!

TerryJ2

I've never heard of it being tested in urine. You can test for lipids and protein though, if that helps.

I don't know that I would put a great deal of faith in a cholesterol test for kids anyway, because M.D.s will want to put kids "at risk" on adult medications, which is FAR more dangerous than a high cholesterol reading any day of the wk.

Sorry for throwing in my 2 cents but that's what you get when you ask me a question! :smile:

no my husband isn't a DR. I worded that wrong. Our children are seeing the same DR we are seeing.

At there old pediatrician dr's office they tested it with a fringer prick. She had high cholest and they had to check it every 3 months.

Just wondering...

Thanks!

smallworld

Actually, Terry, if I remember correctly, the APA recommends that all kids have cholesterol checked at age 6 and at certain intervals thereafter. It is useful to know if kids have high cholesterol so diet and exercise can be modified. My son has borderline high cholesterol, and his pediatrician said he would not put him on medications. I don't think that's the first option for responsible peds before others are tried.

I don't have a clue, she said that its done through blood work. I was so confused! Like I said we have had with Dr's here in our area. They did finger pricks at there old doctor as well and this doctor said she had never heard of it.

TerryJ2

I don't think that's the first option for responsible peds before others are tried.

"Responsible" is the operative word. Sigh. Yes, absolutely, kids should be put on healthier diets. My kids included, regardless whether they have high cholesterol.