Canker sore in the throat

F

flutterbee

Poor easy child. He's had this sore throat for about 2 or 3 weeks now. He went to the GP last Wed because it had been hurting to turn his neck (swollen lymph nodes) for 3 or 4 days. Strep test and culture were negative.

He's still miserable. His lymph nodes are still swollen. He went back to the doctor and he has a canker sore in his throat. The GP rx'd something called Magic Mouthwash which is 30cc's of this and 20cc's of that (don't remember).

He gets canker sores quite often. And he's been sick *a lot*. Plus, when he gets sick, it lingers for a long time. He only has a week or so off from being sick when he gets sick again. When my mom cut his hair last (couple weeks ago), she noted that his hair is getting thinner. She said you can tell a lot about a persons health from their hair.

I asked that they do blood work to check for nutritional deficiencies. He doesn't eat like he should and he doesn't take his vitamins. They're going to get back to me.

Please keep a good thought for my boy. I'm worried about him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Holding a good thought, and saying a prayer. Hopefully the rx mouthwash will kick the canker sore for good. Is he still trying to burn the candle at both ends?

Hugs

rejectedmom

500 mg Lysine a day can help keep canker sores away. This was proven by the army medical corps in a study they did years ago. My orthodontist tole me about it and I have used Lysine ever since and I almost never get those horrid sores anymore and when I do it can honestly say that I had't been taking the lysine for a while prior to the sore. -RM

F

flutterbee

GG - I didn't go with him to the appointment. The neurontin has me sleeping about 15 hours a day. However, when I scheduled the appointment (mostly asleep this morning when easy child handed me the phone), I did ask for a mono test. They didn't do it. I had mono a few years ago and it hurt to turn my neck for a month.

Lisa - He's really not burning the candle at both ends anymore. He's not working near as much as he used to be. He's just getting sick way too much. Thing is, we're not catching it from him....which I find odd. difficult child caught a cold from him. Devon had it for a month. She had it for about 4 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Zinc deficiency can cause the hair loss, as well as overall poor nutrition. difficult child 1 had the same problem when his Crohn's was first flaring. His hair got very thin and his fingers would peel. We learned he was in fact zinc deficient, among other things.

Sounds like his immune system is not up to snuff right now. They should probably run a full blood panel to make sure there's nothing serious going on.

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope he feels better soon and that his immune system will get stronger. I also hope they do a full blood panel to see what is going on. If it is a zinc deficiency, there are a lot of zinc supplements available. they really do help to shorten a cold, so maybe they would help him feel better soon.

4sumrzn

Canker sores are common with difficult child....no way she could do the "magic mouthwash" though, just can't do that yet. Very popular the 13 years I was in pharmacy....must still do the trick. Honestly....I use the 2 OTC ingredients out of the 4 when I get them. I hope it does the trick for him soon!!!!! Hmmm....the hair loss? Maybe some extra tests would be a good idea!?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think it's time for a complete physical.

Thinning hair on a boy his age and sleeping 15 hour days? Somethings not right and I wouldn't venture a guess (although I too thought Mono)

Go with your gut on this one WG - time to be that warrior Mom and make the boy listen.

Hugs

KTMom91

With no other symptoms, I'd suggest acidophilus tablets. They're great for stopping cold sores before they even form. But with the other things, I'd agree with the physical. Sounds like he's got more going on than just a canker sore.