Canning jar boxes

nerfherder

First, I can say from my recent posts that this cold has really dragged my mood down. Like a 2 year old, I get all whiny and weepy just before I get sick.

OK, our cardboard boxes are wearing out before our jars. Plus sourcing jars from thrift shops, where about half the time the boxes are so ratty and mousy they go straight from the truck to the burn barrel.

So you rural and nearly rural folks - do you find anything in the bin section at WalMart that works well for jar storage? We have quarts, pints, half-pints of various sizes.

I know that Lehman's sells special plastic storage bins for canning jars. But... we'd be spending about 5 times what we spend on the jars, and they're too specialized. Form-fit and all. Definitely for the Yuppie Wannabee Rural spendy crowd, last I looked they were $20 or $25 to store a dozen jars.

Mattsmom277

If you took some of those large rubbermaid type bins, you could use the inside cardboard sleeves from toilet paper or paper towels to create a "sleeve" (think like the sleeves on hot take out coffee cups) for the jars. It would prevent them bumping against each other to break etc. And allow you to stack them. I'm fortunate to have pantry space (was on my must have list when we moved in February, I wasn't giving up having one) so I don't box my canning, I just line them up in there.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Yuppie Wannabee Rural here! We always used cardboard boxes when there were too many jars for the pantry. Do you have nearby liquor stores? You can get boxes there.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I use any cardboard box that will hold them. Most rural folk I know seem to do the same. I use those big plastic icecream tubs from walmart or whatever for the rims........win/win.......ice cream first and a storage container later. LOL

If you have an aldi's or sav a lot type store near you...........they have loads of boxes that work well :)

InsaneCdn

Use a cardboard box that the jars fit in fairly well... and then use strips of thin cardboard such as from cereal boxes or such, to create inter-locked dividers (cut slits half-way up the strips, put one direction in with slits up, the other direction with slits down, and join them together).