Care to diagnosis a complete stranger's kid??

DDD

A young woman who helps me out a few hours a week told me today
that her Mom's best friend just got a diagnosis. of Aspergers for her
son who is around ten or so. The young woman said to me "he is
very different from your difficult child with Aspergers".

The boy (honestly I don't know them from a hole in the head)
evidently "tilts his head, opens his mouth and kinda zones out".
The boy also steals ladies underwear and dresses up in it.

Neither of those traits are AS traits to me but the "zone out"
sounds like mini seizures that some family member has posted about for years. Since it didn't effect me, I just vaguely remember. The underwear thing?? I'm not sure what to think about
that in an elementary school kid.

Interesting, huh. NO this is not a diagnosis request seriously,
it just got me wondering. DDD

BusynMember

Dressing up in woman's clothes can be "Gender Identity Disorder" (I think it's called). My son never zoned out either, so I can't guess on that. I think seizures and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are commonly seen together though. Also, I think some professionals diagnosis. Aspergers when it is really more severe Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)--it sort of softens the blow, but still gets the kids supports. One last thing, remember that all Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids are different. However, I don't see dressing in the other gender's clothes as having one thing to do with autism.

JJJ

My son with Aspergers did (and still very rarely does) the cross dressing thing. He spent the entire first day of Kindergarten in a wedding dress from the dress up box. Is it part of the Aspergers, part of the PTSD, or something else? who knows?? (His first diagnosis was Gender Identification Disorder but that diagnosis only lasted a few months.)

F

flutterbee

A former friend of mine has a 6 year old boy who isn't diagnosis'd, but has strong Aspie traits. I would be surprised if he's not on the spectrum. He's always liked to dress up in girls clothes. He especially liked things that twirled. He thinks the girls clothes are prettier and, well, you can't really argue with that, can you? He's also all boy so I've never thought anything about Gender Identity Disorder.

I may be wrong, but I think the thing with Aspies is that they do their own thing and aren't so concerned - at least in younger years - about whether it's considered socially acceptable. It might also be a Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) thing. Ladies and girls clothing just feels nicer than boys.

Sara PA

Head tilt, mouth open, zoned out could be partial seizures. Absence seizures are usually just like being frozen in time for a few seconds. The head tilting and mouth opening suggest the possibility of partial seizure activity.

Can't help with the underwear part. Hadn't come across that in my seizure info.

TerryJ2

Sounds like seizures to me.
I wouldn't jump ship about the underwear thing. My son did that for a while and after I bought him some new things of his own, he stopped doing it. You need more info on the type of fabric, whether he lets anyone see it, etc.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I sure sounds like some of the seizures Travis has had. And he also has absense seizures, too.

The underwear thing may just be the feel of the fabric he likes more than a gender issue.

Aubrey will drag my satiny nightgown around if she can latch onto it while I'm doing laundry. She LOVES the feel of it, and it's quite a battle to get it away from her once she gets her hands on it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Why hasn't she sought a second opinion?

And as far as the underwear (not to make light of the situation) but if I were a man and had my choice between light silky pants or itchy heavy cotton ones with an incredibly binding elastic waist? I think I'd go for light and airy. If I bought difficult child silk boxers or cotton boxers - he'd always pick the silk, soft, breathes
Just a thought.

I think what Terry did was very smart.

DDD

LOL! I don't know if she is going to get a second opinion...I
have never met the woman and don't particularly care to meet her.
The young woman who helps me knows the lady and because my difficult child
is AS and she is around him quite a bit, she just thought it was
strange they were so different so she asked me if difficult child did the head tilt-zone out thing. It sounded like a "Sara" topic so I
decided to ask. Somehow I hadn't thought about the smooth texture on the clothing being the appeal. You guys are probably
right. Don't they make satiny kind of PJ's for men? Seems like
I saw them in movies...back in the day when people wore clothes
to bed, lol.

I did ask what kind of Doctor made the diagnosis because we are not in a
sophisticated medical, educational or judicial district! It could have been a PA from the health clinic, sad to say. Thanks.
I'll keep my ears open in case I can help from afar. No...I am
not going to share the site. There is a vague connection to my
boys so I want to protect my privacy. I'm getting selfish! DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
FYI - not that anyone would care to know this - BUT

Walmart sells silk and satin mens boxers - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/money.gifmoney/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/money.gif

susiestar

Roll With It
HAs anyone thought to ask about sensory integration??? I think at early elementary it is a bit too young to diagnosis gender issues simply because they like a particular kind of clothing. There are a LOT more issues that go into gender identity than what clothes you wear.

The head tilt is more seizure. NO ONE even suggested an EEG on ANY of my kids until difficult child had 5 years of psychiatric treatment. I found out about wanting to rule out seizures HERE. Not from any professional.

There are just too many things going on to try to diagnosis someone else's kid with-o even input from a person who has spent time with him. in my opinion, of course.

Susie

Sara PA

Remember that EEGs cannot rule out temporal lobe epilepsy. They can rule it in. The temporal lobe is deep in the brain and hard to get a read on. It is estimated that 50% of TLE is not detected on EEGs (including mine and my son's).