Career advice

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
So....when you are facing burnout, do you tell your boss or keep it under wraps?

Its mostly schedule-related and I think once PT winds down again, it will be better, but regardless, this is where I'm at right now... So what do you do with it?

InsaneCdn

Really depends on the boss and the corporate culture.
I've had it both ways... if they really care about you, then they get mad if you're not speaking up. But... if you're just another 2x4 on the staff... and can be replaced tomorrow (attitude, not necessarily reality)... speaking up can bite.

<ugh>

{{hugs}}

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's just it... I *think* this group actually wants me to hang around... Other groups I've worked with have been hit or miss depending on their leader...if they weren't flexible with my hours, I was pretty much red-x'ed. If they were flexible, they generally were happy with me. This group has been WAY flexible. And I have really liked working with them, and am a permanent member now...But going to PT and then trying to make up those hours at night, often very late at night, is just wearing me thin...even on days off I sit around and think about needing to log on to do this or that...

InsaneCdn

Ya. I know what you mean.
I'm stretched to the max right now - the whole team is - but I can't push back too far, because they have been (and ARE) so fantastic in allowing flexibility to deal with difficult child (and normal kid issues... like orthodontist appts etc.!)

keista

Hmmmmmmm You mean there's an option? Every time I was burning out, I quit. Of course, I was generally burning out because of a toxic work environment.

Sorry, I'm no help on this one. Sending positive thoughts that the path you choose is the right one.

KTMom91

When I burned out on retail, I quit and went back to school for my credential. Would it be possible to take a leave of absence without hurting your position at work?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I could take leave, but I'm our breadwinner and primary provider... I didn't have a sitter on Friday for Wee, and I called in for 3 meetings that I couldn't miss, but I took intermittent FMLA leave for the rest of the day, just so I didn't have to make up the time or try to juggle Wee and work all day. Its unpaid, but I don't honestly think I could have done another day last week...

KTMom91

I hear you...I was a single parent who went back to school to live on student loans for two years. I had to do something, though, ten years of nights, weekends, and Christmases just weighted me down, and I was gonna snap or something if I didn't make a change.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I would love to go back to school...I just can't right now. I am frustrated with my project leader right now (communication on this project hoovers), and that's not helping a bit (I have addressed this with my boss)...however, I think it's simply the schedule....I hit the ground behind in the morning and it never let's up. I usually finish the day logged in with our off-shore associates 16-17 hours later... I've skipped the last 2 days of pt, but I can't keep doing that, either...

susiestar

Roll With It
Shari, you have been carrying a HUGE load of stress for a very long time now. This isn't surprising (the burn out) and I think you need to take some time and think about ALL thes tress you have and what you really WANT from life right now. A new job problem isn't an option because the income. So telling the boss wouldn't be my first choice in your shoes.

I know this sounds like adding more stuff to your to-do list, but have you tried meditation? Guided meditation can be useful in helping to cope with all of this, and it can help you get into a frame of mind where you CAN figure out your priorities and what you want/need to do to make your life fit your priorities. I have been known to use 20-30 min guided meditations at lunch or on a break just to get through a tough day/week when I was going through burnout. There are free ones online that you can download or you can buy them.

What happens to the job/$$ if you tell the boss and boss decides that the solution is that you are not part of his group/project? Does your company have an employee assistance program (EAP)? If so, call them and see what help they can offer.

(((((hugs)))))

DammitJanet

Shari...is it possible for you to get a job working from home? You seem to have the qualifications that would be in high demand. Or so it seems from reading your posts. I am wondering if you could get a consulting job that you could get online as maybe a help desk job or something else where you could do everything simply from your home so you could do it all after wee is in bed at night of from say 3-11.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shari--

My husband is very much like you...hard-working, hates to be late, goes the extra mile....

He was really getting burned out due to schedule issues a while back. He was frustrated that he often started his days behind on the workload and then tried to catch up by putting in the time at night - only to get behing again later in the week.

He solved it by working a few hours on Sundays from home. He found that by working, say, 1 to 5 on a Sunday - he could get a jump on the work for the week...and then not have to stay late or work from home in the evenings.

Now when he originally pitched this idea to the boss - the boss didn't like it...and instead tried to give him a pep talk along the lines of "O come on, you're doing great! Don't beat yourself up about getting everything done." But husband insisted that the boss at least let him try it. After a few weeks - the boss admitted that the Sunday work did seem to make a huge difference in husband's productivity....and job satisfaction.

P

PatriotsGirl

I am in the same boat right now. I am working LONG days and still don't have time to get everything done. Meanwhile, my two coworkers are allergic to extra work and rarely do I see them work any hours beyond the required 8 (both have been there forever!!). It is frustrating to say the least and I have had a conversation with my boss about it. We are hiring another person next year and I was told they will be working for me. So, I should get some relief then, but meanwhile, ugh. Luckily I work from home two days a week - that helps a LOT but I am putting in more hours when at home, too. I put up with it because I love my boss, I love my company and I love being able to work from home. My boss was SO understanding through all the difficult child koi we were dealing with - he earned a spot in my heart for that. I will always bust my rear for that man.