Carpal Tunnel

Abbey

Spork Queen
Went to the doctor again to do the formal testing for it, although we both know I have it. Have you ever had that done?:highvoltage::highvoltage:

I think it was worse than child birth. It's like having electric shocks go through your upper body continually. Yep...got that nerve, now let's try this one. Yep...now this one. Whoops...missed that nerve. I thought I was being electrocuted. Then they go onto the tendon tests.:faint:

I've got it in both hands, right one being REAL bad, left one on the way. She wants to do surgery on both hands at the same time. Ummm...hello? Who is going to zip my pants up?

She said the testing is worse than the actual surgery. Oh, that's a big relief. Can we get back to how I'm going to zip my pants up for three weeks?

It's nothing that can heal...it just only gets worse over time unless you have the surgery and you have to get it done about every 10 years. Great.

Fortunately the doctor and hospital have been incredibly accomodating about me not having insurance. That seems to be a non issue at this point.

So, I'm going to think, procrastinate and think some more about this. Like I said...I'm a certified chicken.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry Abbey. The testing IS painful, but isn't living with it also very painful?

Glad they are working with you and that the insurance is a "non-issue".

Sending many hugs and prayers, I know you must be scared about the whole surgery thing.

Susie

F

flutterbee

The testing DOES hurt when you have nerve issues. The rest of it isn't so bad, but when they hit my ulnar nerve (entrapment), it was like being stuck with a cattleprod. That's cause they have to turn up the juice to get it to read. :highvoltage: And then the doctor had the nerve to get *excited* about it. Then he's like yep, ulnar nerve is an issue. No kidding, Sherlock. I coulda told you that without zapping the bejeezus out of me.

I honestly don't know what I would do about surgery. I guess I would decide how limiting the carpal tunnel is vs the results you would achieve with the surgery. I'd make sure to do all the research and ask all the questions. No surprises.

I'm glad they're working with your insurance status.

TerryJ2

Ouch.

My mom had her wrists done separately for exactly that reason.

Best of luck. Nice that they aren't harping on the ins. Sounds like you can pay a certain amt per mo.

by the way, I slugged my husband a cpl mo's ago. I had pulled a calf muscle, and he was digging his thumb into various areas, saying, "Does that hurt?" "Does this hurt?" as doctors do, and when he hit the spot, my arm shot out and got him square in the jaw. Knocked his glasses off.
He said he'd never had a patient to that b4 ...

Andy

Do you have the wrist supports? For both hands?

About 6 years ago, I was tested. Was just on the borderline of the diagnosis. I started wearing both wrist supports 24/7 for about a week and then just at nights, when my wrists started hurting, or when I knew I was doing something that would strain my wrists. After a few months, my wrists got better - no more pain. When it does flair up, I just wear the support overnight.

Sounds like you do need the surgery regardless but try the wrist supports while you are waiting for the surgery. It may just reduce the pain?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Ouch! O.k. I have to admit I was rofl at mstang's response!

I think two at once would be difficult. Sorry the testing was so painful.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Andy,

I have been wearing a right handed wrist band for about 5 weeks. Not one on the left. When the doctor told me to utilize my left hand more I'm thinking...ok, now I'm going to have two bum hands. I ALWAYS wear it at night. That is the worst time.

Abbey

KTMom91

I didn't want surgery, because they couldn't give me any guarantees on how much improvement there would be, if any. The doctor has determined I'm permanently partially disabled, and if I ever get to the point where I can't manage, I'll think about surgery.

Right now, I'm having so much pain after my knee surgery that it'll be a cold day in he!! before anyone cuts me open again.

meowbunny

I've had a few friends who have had the surgery. One was successful. Two were not, mainly because they went back to the same profession (one a legal secretary, one a medical biller). However, this was several years ago so things may have improved. Personally, I'd try almost anything before I went the surgical route unless they can guaranty it will truly help.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Ouch. I know a few people who have had the surgery and its been mixed results. My sister still complains of pain and my friends (2) both say it was a lifesaver.

Whatever happens, I wish you relief!

Andy

Get a support for your left hand. Don't wait until the left becomes as bad as the right. Start taking care of it now. I agree with the others, I have heard that the surgery is not always a favorable outcome. Since you are not jumping at the surgery, use the support for both hands for a month or two and see what happens. Do more research and make sure you know the percentage of success that the surgery will have so you have all the info to make the decision you believe is right for you.

SRL

The people I've known who have had the surgery have had symptoms relieved but with the side effect of the wrists being considerably weaker.

My chiropractor has given me some help on the carpal tunnel. Not a cureall, but it has helped.