Carwash child abuse

meowbunny

This was on the news last night. I was so sickened seeing this little girl treated like this. Apparently, the mother has come forward. I can't wait to hear her story.

My guess would be the girl had an accident and the mom decided to (1) not wait til they got home to get her clean and (2) the carwash was there and wouldn't hurt. At least I'm hoping it was pure stupidity and not outright cruelty. Either way, the woman needs lessons in parenting at the very least. The poor little one was howling in pain and fear.

A

AprilH

OMG! What is wrong with these people...I mean ADULTS! This woman with the car wash, a Special Education teacher stealing money from her Autistic student...GEEZ, shaking head...

meowbunny

This woman should be hosed down! She did it to stop a temper tantrum??? That poor baby. There really are times that I do believe children should be removed from their parents. This one is dang close.

I understand putting a child in a shower to calm them down. I've dumped mine in the bathtub, clothes and all, to at least get her to breath while she screamed in rage. I can kinda tolerate the idea of using the hose at home. (I've done that to wash off mud but made it a game and no way was my little one scared.) But those washes are strong and hurt. What kind of mother stops a temper tantrum this way and what kind of person would help her do this to a child?

I'm just furious and sickened.

klmno

I agree- this crossed the line. And I wonder if it really took that long to get dry clothes on her while in the back of the car- my bet is that the girl was at least getting yelled at, if not beaten. And to think- this wasn't an overwhelmed Mom who lost her temper- there was ample time for Mom to think about what she was doing and another woman helping instead of "reeling Mom in".

Yep, I'm sure this goes a long way in teaching the little girl respect.

My God!

That hose is like 4" from the poor baby! And you can't control the temperature on those things!! What if it had accidentally slipped into the hot wax mode? What the heck is WRONG with people??

susiestar

Roll With It
OK. This woman is too mean and stupid to live. I am really really beginning to think people who do these things should be sugically sterilized and then left in jail for life. No parole. This is scarring to the child for life. And you KNOW other things are going on that hurt the child. This was premeditated and horrible.

I HAVE taken my kids to play in the car wash. I either spray the car and le the kids run through what bounces off, or spray the wall and let them run through the water when it comes off the wall. I am 8 feet or so from the wall, and they are about 5 feet from where the spray bounces off. This is done when we are out taking a walk and they get really hot and want to play in the water. Or if we are out and about and they want to. In HOT weather. Not in March.

It is ALWAYS the kids choice to get in the water. NEVER is it done as a punishment. I can see a shower, or dumped in the bath during a rage, as meowbunny said. But NOT this. What stupid stupid mean people.

Susie

Marguerite

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this - this wasn't a coin in the slot, drive your car through car wash, was it? This was the one where you drive up, get out of your car, unhook the hose and wash down the car? Right?

If so, then unless the child threw a tantrum right then and the mother just happened to have already pulled up to wash her car, this is definitely premeditated. If the mother deliberately drove there with the express purpose to hose down the child, there is something wrong.

What really got me - when the mother said, "I've done this before, using a spray bottle." There is a huge difference between a high pressure hose and a spray bottle.

This woman saw herself on TV and rang the authorities - to explain that it wasn't like that at all, it seems. So even after seeing it on TV, even after hearing the responses of people, she still felt what she had done was justifiable? Acceptable?

Amazing.

At the very least, I think she needs a course in parenting, and in what is not acceptable. I wonder what kind of treatment she got as a kid "and it didn't do me any harm!"

Marg

meowbunny

Marg, I sw the full report/video on the news. The woman pulled up to the carwash, got the little girl out, fed enough coins into the machine to twice wash the car and hosed her little one down while another woman held the child there. It was a self carwash, not a drive through. So, yes, it was totally premeditated.

According to the manager of the carwash, by the time she heard the screams she was too late to stop it -- they had left. She didn't know a child was being "washed" until she saw the video, at which point she called the police who then had it aired in the hopes of finding the people who did this.

That she could even remotely justify using this hose on her daughter is beyond me. I truly hope they take her daughter away from her. As was said, I can't even begin to imagine whatever "creative" parenting techniques this woman uses. This little one needs protection.

JJJ

Yes, it was wrong. I am not in anyway defending her actions. It was wrong wrong wrong. But doesn't the mom sound like one of our difficult children? I'm hoping that DCFS can provide parenting classes and supervision of this mother and her child. She did 'turn herself in' and make her daughter available immediately for CPS evaluators. She could have waited until she was caught -- if she ever was. I know the hoses at our carwash have various settings, the lowest of which I sometimes spray on myself when it is 100+ degrees in the summer, it doesn't hurt. Obviously, if she had it on a higher setting, it would hurt.

I hope she gets the services she needs to become a better mother.

Star*

call 911........call 911
DFC did NOT remove the child

Charges MAY be filed for abuse.

How about 100 hours community service at a fire station rolling up and inspecting high pressure hoses? They are very heavy.

And 3 years of anger management classes/therapy.

And 5 years of court ordered DFC supervision

And 2 years of parenting classes to be followed by

Painting the car wash every Spring and Fall

And last but NOT least - having someone turn a high pressure hose on her 4800 psi so that it's equal to what she did to a 2 1/2 year old.

And a lifetime of never being able to wash her car with a hose.

Toto is right - people make me sick

'Chelle

I've played with my kids with the hose at the car wash while washing our car, I spray in the air over the car and it comes down on them like rain, easy child loves it. I have also had the pressure wash on my hand from a distance of about 4 inches, husband was washing and I was using a cloth to go over the really muddy stuff on the bottom. Braced my hand on the car just as husband moved the wand there. It left me with an area that was like something between a rug burn and road rash. A few little pin spots were actually oozing blood. It is not pleasant and if that car wash pressure was even close to what I got, that woman should be charged with abuse. A toddler's skin is so much more fragile and sensitive than my hand would have been. I like Star's list of punishments, very fitting.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I took my van through the self wash... I was holding the POWER washer... I accidently hit my middle finger... this was last week. It still has a scab from where the skin was RIPPED off!!! It hurt!!! I shreaked when it happened and was very careful after that...
Yeah some people are very bad...