Cat birth HELP! Plz

Tiapet

Old Hand
Hound, a silly question and perhaps the most simple one for you to figure out if she is pregnant or just fat and you have a vet emergency on your hands (and I say this with all honesty having had kittens before), feel her belly for the kittens moving around, the little lumps in her belly. None of the cats I've had a bloody discharge like you are describing coming out of their butts at all except after they've had kittens. The brown watery discharge as well. I'm concerned that you have a cat that has a medical problem going on possibly. The easiest way to find out quickly, or at least if there is kittens is to check her belly by hand. Then you can also know if she is having a labor problem, like a stuck kitten, which can happen. So sorry you are having to go through this. I know it's not something you need right now at all. But like they say, there is a reason for everything and this happened to you for a reason, even if you don't know what it is yet. ;)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Tia, I'm so glad you posted that!!! I'm so worried about this poor little kitty~ We had a small kitty that went into labor and couldn't deliver. Turned out all three babies were stillborn and she needed help from the vet to deliver them. It was very sad. I hope that's not what's going on here.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I just checked her. Let me just say if this girl is in pain she's hiding it awfully well. She acted as if I was loving up on her and ate it up.

No lumps. No movement. Feels like a fat tummy to me. Didn't seem to bother her when I felt around extensively either, which would have POed shadow off. Shadow would let us feel....but we had to pretend to pet her.

I don't need a vet emergency. I will be leaving for work in about 10 mins. :( And like I said.......can't afford the bill. Our vets around here won't let you make payments. I guess they got stiffed too many times.

If it's an "emergency" would she be acting so well?? Eating/drinking ect ect? All purrs and buzzes? Could it be a really bad case of worms maybe? I could run out and get some wormer tomorrow. I have some but I think it's expired. She is not acting "sick" in the slightest. I know animals cover it well......but this would be an Oscar performance.

buddy

Well I dont know about worms etc. but, kitty babies that are about to be born are easy to feel, they move around and the mama cat's teats are large and milky before birth. My cat did have that one discharge, but it was an empty sac, kitten cells that never grew.... I loved how those kitties felt moving around....no hiding it at all I would think

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Her teets are what would be expected for a normal not pregnant cat. Which is what made me start wondering if she was truly preggers. No milk......hair has not thinned out ect. If she'd already given birth her milk should've come in. Maybe a really messy heat?? Bruce is interested at the door.

I don't think she is preggers afterall. (I think I'm grateful for that) No moving kittens, not so much as one lump.

Well, I'll have to worry about it later. I have to go watch the boys now.

But I have no clue what is going on with her........

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If she's got an enlarged abdomen, heavy discharge, no signs of labor and is drinking huge amounts of water, I'd be really worried about her having a pyometra. This is a uterine infection usually caused by repeated heats. The only treatment is a spay and heavy duty antibiotics.

It is a medical emergency. She must be seen by a vet.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, I'd not mind taking her if one was open. I can call mine on monday and see if they'll squeeze her in......no clue where the extra money is going to come from though. And heaven knows I can't afford for THEM to spay her.

At only about 10 mos old, is she old enough to have "repeated heats"???

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
She most certainly is old enough to have had repeated heats. Cats can start as early as 5 months. In addition; cats are reflex ovulators: they don't actually ovulate until mated.

The male cat has bristles on his organ that stimulate ovulation at actual mating. An unmated female basically stays in heat until mated.

In addition, unlike dogs, cats do not normally have any vaginal discharge when in season

buddy

Do you have a shelter who would take her (a no kill shelter?) if you can't afford the medical care? Is she better today?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Our shelters basically have nothing to do with cats. They're too overrun with dogs. It's something that amazed me when we moved to the area. Although before the super high unemployment rates it wasn't quite as bad as it is now. But even with dogs........they don't offer help with vets. They don't always treat the ones staying there for that matter. It's not uncommon to bring home a very sick dog from them. I've done it at least twice, barely managed to save them .......with a high vet bills to show for it due to medications ect.

I'm not seeing the discharge like I was.......much less now. She's still acting fine, eating & drinking, purring and such. She doesn't seem to have a fever, at least her body doesn't feel overly warm. I don't think she's in heat.........or Bruce is the dumbest male cat on the planet, because he is NOT fixed, and he shows little interest other than Mom I don't want to share my house with Midnight.

This is why I hate when this stuff happens over a weekend. There is nothing that can be done until monday, even if it's an emergency. I've been in this situation with furbabies before. Precious (basset) had her pups on a weekend (sunday) and had really awful complications due to a uterine infection....still had to wait to take her to the vet until monday morning. Luckily she recovered ok.....although I swear it changed her temperament.

I *might* be able to squeeze enough out of the budget for an office visit, our vet doesn't charge too bad........treatment is another matter, that's where it gets expensive, although they do what they can to keep cost down as much as possible.

Any chance it could be GI related?? (I'm thinking both openings are in the same area) She's not had a BM in the litterbox......Although she doesn't seem the type to go munching on random things as I feed her and Minnie well.........

Just once it would be nice that if something was gonna happen to a furbaby it would be when I can at least talk to the darn vet.

buddy

AWW I'm sorry, you are such an animal lover and in an area with such limited resources. But she is eating/drinking and acting happy so hopefully her body will recover no matter the issue. Since it is not clear where the fluids are coming from it could be anything, kidney infection, bladder stuff, worms, who knows....some kind of parasite is a good guess since you said her tummy is big and she is an outdoor cat. Hopefully it will be a simple remedy.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hound -

I'm sorry I can't read ANYTHING to do with birthin no babies - (kittehs)

The first and only time a cat gave birth in my house? I thought she blew her uterus out. It was the afterbirth. I tried to pick alll the pieces up and put them in a baggie on ice and rushed her and the basket of kittehs to the vet and got laughed at so much I was p.o.'d. I mean - I can't till this DAY eat corned beef - that's what it all looked like to me. Helter Skelter and corned beef.

SO while I'm guessing someone had kittens....and birth is a wonderful process and all that ......CONGRATULATIONS on the kittens - Hope all are well -----and I think you are one the most WONDERFUL people I've ever not met - and if St. Francis had an assistant? I think he'd pick someone like you - FURRY people above self. I think theres a jewel in your crown shaped like a bisqcuit or a fish...

Hugs

If it's a vet question -as away - WE have been at the vets nearly every day this week - Casper had to have another surgery, Pootie has an infection on her nose and had to go in, LC is getting dipped because if we don't she's going to be put down.......so if there is a technical question? I'll ask. PM me -