Cat Info please

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole's cat Cassie has just been dropped off. She lived here as a young kitten and she and Bruce seemed to get along fine. Now they don't seem so thrilled with each other. So? Do I just leave them alone and let them work it out? Or what?

by the way Cassie has just been fixed and declawed. I get the joy of taking her stitches out. Lucky me.:faint:

Oh, and another by the way..........any want a smallish german shepard mix puppy/young dog? Exbf's Mom is doing her best to get her into a rescue or shelter.....but if she can't, she's coming here to avoid going to the pound and being put to sleep. The last thing I need is another dog...........let alone one not fixed. And to top it off Betsy doesn't like her, even a little bit. So I'll been looking for her a good home asap

I'm soooo tired of having to clean up after this kids animal rescues. Gawd!:mad:

Thanks

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If the cat has just been fixed, there will be issues with the dog. Keep them separate for the most part if at all possible, until stitches are out. Then let 'em battle it out.

Animal people all say to socialize new pets slowly. We moved into the house with 2 senior cats, then the adult dog showed up next day. And learned his place... Bottom of the food chain. No slowly introducing them. But, they didn't have stitches!

I'll ask around here - you're not too far from me...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The new cat's also at a lifelong disadvantage due to having been declawed, not to mention in pain right now. Be aware that declawed cats will BITE since they have no claws with which to defend themselves.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good to know GN. She does have her back claws though. So far the cats are avoiding each other and the dogs are still outside.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Correction: Cassie has decided to be brave and venture out now. But it's obvious her paws still hurt quite a bit. So far Bruce and she are doing ok, I hope that's a good sign. I worry more about Betsy though.....she adores cats, almost too much lol At least until Cassies feeling better and more healed I've got to figure a way to keep those 2 separated.

SRL

Dab a little vanilla on each of the cats (under chin and behind the tail) so that they will smell the same to each other. I hear this can be really helpful.

SRL

If her paws are still hurting she should be on pain medications, and if she is already on medications and it's not doing the job, call the vet. Declawing is often hard on older cats.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Declawing is a very painful surgery and recovery (I will not provide the gruesome details on this surgery). It's good they at least left the hind claws, but the hind claws are the serious fighting weapon.

The cat will flip over, take a hold with its front claws, or in this case its teeth, and rake with those back claws.

The vanilla is a good tip and one I should've mentioned. Apply it between the ears and at the base of the tail. That said, they should be isolated until after the stitches come out and for a bit after for the incision to finish healing.

Other than that? If there isn't actual bloodshed; I'd let them work it out.

I wish I could help with the dog, but the rescues are so overloaded right now that I wouldn't even know where to start.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks you've been a huge help. I've got to call the vet in the morning to see when the stitches come out. Nichole's exbf said they are due....and I can ask about pain medications for her. Plus I've got to pick up some of that special kitty litter that doesn't hurt their paws, I'm sure that's not helping either. But easy child says it's available at walmart so won't be hard to find.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I never used the vanilla trick!

When Weasel had her front claws removed they told me to tear newspaper into strips and use that as litter. It was cheap... And worked fine.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't know the name 3S, but it's basically newspaper strips like Step said. Evidently someone got smart and decided to sell it. lol A good thing because I don't get the paper, I don't even know someone who does.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
It's probably "yesterday's news" Go to their website and print off a $1.50 coupon. Pm me your addy I'll print one off for you if you want me to.