Cat People

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sir Bruce, once the lap cat of sweetness to the point of being annoying but otherwise angelic cat............

Has now dropped to difficult child status.

I think those electric pulse things husband used for the mice have driven him more than a bit off his nut. He now does this really weird hunting type thing with his food. It drives me nuts because in the process he dumps out about half the bowl and proceeds to hunt it around the kitchen floor. Once or twice this is both cute and funny. Every day it's just plain annoying. He also will suddenly let out a loud half crazed meow, leap into the air sort of side ways, and fly through the house for no reason.

That, I've learned to deal with.

Now his new thing is to go after any food stuff with oil or grease involved. He will risk being burned to do so. I nearly strangled him the other night. I'd used the huge tub of butter from Sam's. I thought I'd snapped the lid on all the way but I'd forgotten to pop it back into the frig. When I came back into the room a short while later I found Bruce with his head in the tub feasting away. grrr

Since with people such things are red flag indicators of lack of something in the diet.........that's what I'm thinking it is. But darn it, I've had him on the good brands of cat food since I discovered coupons because it's cheaper than the generic version he was eating before, by quite a bit. I can't recall if the nosing oil stuff started before or after the food switch......because I kept catching him in food, I just only realized it's the oil grease he's after not the actual food part.

So if I supplement him with can will that give him the oil he's craving? Because I'd rather not buy the stuff if it's not going to help him stop this. I'm trying to keep food cost down, not have them go up. Even poor Rowdy isn't getting his canned food supplement this winter until I can find a way to do it that I can afford it.

Stupid cat.

InsaneCdn

Well, I'm assuming cats and dogs have at least a TINY bit in common.
We (growing up) had a dog... long story, but turned out dog needed more fat in his diet.
Vet said to add cooking oil - plain old vegetable oil - to his food.
Wouldn't eat it, so Dad decided to see if he'd take it in a separate bowl... and sure enough, he drank up all the oil you'd give him. He got 2T at a time (about 30lb dog).

Some of the cheaper brands of pet food, have more fat...
Try adding a bit of oil to what you are currently feeding him... either with the food, or separate.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We didn't have any issues wih our cats until we started feeding them the generic...

Weasel was started on generic as a kitten, so she was used to it. But not Possum! OMG hundreds of $ in vet bills for urinary tract issues. Squirrel has the same issue with generic because she started on expensive stuff.

Ours are fed 1/4 can of Fancy Feast (Mom gives us the turkey, so it's FREE, her cats barf it up) in the morning and free-fed dry food. Their fur is soft and shiny, and they stay OUT of our food. Unless we forget to feed them...

It is the oil he is after. Try adding about a tsp once a day to a cup of dry food...

As for the chasing food... He needs mice. Both of mine do this and I just ignore them.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Bruce won't eat anything added to his food, not even tuna. So I'll try it separate and see.

If he needs mice, tough noogies. I *think* I've managed to get rid of the ones that moved in. I tend to hear them in the attic when they're around, haven't heard nary a one, nor seen one, nor seen evidence of one. I'm hoping they're gone.

I found his mouse toy the other day. I'll have to remember to get it down for him so he can play with the thing once in a while. I can't keep it down because Molly will play with it too.......and about 5 mins later there is nothing left of it. lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I told ya he is crazy. LOL

He scared poor Betsy half to death in her sleep the other day. She attacked, but was in her crate and could do no harm. A short while later I let her out of the crate.........and I'd just served her dinner. What does difficult child Bruce do? He goes up and starts nosing her food. ugh She only pushed him out of the way and gobbled it up quick so he couldn't get any, but that was not so smart on his part. lol

donna723

I give my herd of outdoor cats dry food with canned food mixed in and they love the smelly fish flavors the best. I've been giving them the 9 Lives canned food which is a little more expensive but there are probably coupons for it somewhere. With the 9 Lives fish flavors, when you open the can, the food is in a can-shaped lump in the middle (sounds yummy, huh!) surrounded by about two tablespoons of some kind of oily stuff that I pour over the dry food separately. Bruce might like that. The smell of this stuff drives the dogs absolutely wild and they beg for it. Ragan loves it so much that I sneak her morning pills into little bites of cat food and she gobbles them up ...she thinks she's getting away with something!

busywend

Doesn't like tuna!!! Bruce is not a cat! LOL! When I open a can of anything I am guaranteed 3 cats at my feet - even when it is not tuna. They hear me opening a can - and it is NOT an electric can opener! LOL!

I was going to suggest some toys. Sounds like he just wants to pounce on something and hunt - natural. I have 2 that like to push their food out of the bowl. One that will swat it around before eating it. But, it does not go across the entire kitchen - that would drive me batty, too!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Bruce will eat tuna out of the can. However if I put either it or the oil from it on his food, he won't touch the food at all. I even tried chicken broth (nice fresh homemade kind) and he wouldn't touch his food after I did it.

The stray pride are not so picky. I gave them the 20lb turkey carcass and they had it stripped clean by the next morning with no bones even left for me to clean up. lol They are grateful when I give them something extra.

I'll scour my coupons for canned cat food and see if I can manage a deal with it that isn't too bad.