Cat Question

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Can cats get jealous of what other animals in the household eat?

Bruce eats dry food. 1. because it is less disgusting in the litter box and 2. because it is sooooo much cheaper to do so and he shares his food with Minnie and Midnight outside. When we have tuna, I save him a bit in the cans and he has a "treat" which he loves. Only problem with that has been........he now thinks every can that is opened in the house contains tuna. This was comical up until I started letting Molly have canned now and then and now that Maggie is using can so she'll eat the puppy chow.

He got miffed when seeing that the puppy got what came out of the can. He got even more miffed when I wouldn't let him eat it.

He hasn't eaten his own food in 4 days. ugh Tonight I gave in and let him have a can of tuna. (I know, I probably shouldn't have but his allergies are full blown right now and he's not feeling too hot) I figured if nothing else I'd know if it was his appetite or not. Well, he's eating that tuna just fine.

Obviously appetite was not the issue. Stupid cat.

DammitJanet

All animals can get jealous. My Buddy has his nose a bit out of joint right now with the puppies. He plays with them sometimes but then again at other times he thinks they are snot nosed brats. I did buy him a supply of his own canned food anyway because he is only a tiny little dog and Tony tend to not want to feed him anything but scraps and when he does that, the dog gets into the trash can and dig. If I feed him a can at night, he doesnt plunder as bad. Tony cant put 2+2 together though. Oddly Buddy refuses to touch the puppies food. I have a bowl in the kitchen right now where I fed the pups tonight before I put them out for the night and they didnt finish their dinner and he hasnt touched it. They have a big double bowl. They eat side by side...lol.

Oh...just wanted to tell you. I know you said you dont do puppy pads but with two of them I have to, I cant grab both that quickly...Im not up to it. I have a huge supply of plastic chubs so I bought that spray to house train them and I spray the chubs and put them down in certain places in the house. Ziva got it right away. Abby...oh she doesnt have a clue. Im hoping she just watches Ziva and does it. She does sniff them. Ziva has also learned how to climb up on the furniture now. Buddy isnt safe anywhere anymore...lol. And when she goes to get down instead of just trying to slither down like normal...she takes a flying leap off the couch...lmao.

Lothlorien

So, perhaps just giving him a spoonful of canned food mixed in his food just might make it better. If his allergies are that bad, could it be the dry food? I know that certain dry foods cause a lot of allergy problems with dogs. I'm sure it has got to iritate cats too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa... My Mom's cat has a sensitivity to gluten. So, he and his sister cat get canned food 2-3 times a day and they are free fed expensive gluten-free cat food. (I wish I had that kind of money...) His sensitivity presents as - allergies.

As for jealousy - oh yeah. I'd say save your money, give Bruce a DAB of dog food on top of his dry when you feed Maggie.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, there is no way I can afford can food for him. Not even at .50 cents a can with coupon, cuz they eat more of the stuff, or he does anyway. I'll try the plopping a spoonful onto his food when I do Maggie's. It's worth a shot. Not like tuna is cheap either, but it's what I had on hand. And not eating was making him grumpy.

I'm wondering if he's allergic to the dogs. LOL But it might be the gluten. They pack so much nonsense stuff into pet food today it's not funny.

Thanks.

TerryJ2

I agree, there is so much stuff in dog food you hardly know what you're getting. We switched to dye-free after one of our dogs threw up on the carpet--again--and moved from $12/bag to $25/bag. Yikes! Still, it's less expensive than an imported wool rug, 9 ft X 12 ft.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa - here's a thought too... Any water/oil from canned tuna can be mixed with kitty food. One spoonful of the liquid will make all of his dry food taste wonderful...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Step, I've tried that several times. He just stares at me like I'm totally stupid. I'm not even sure putting some canned on his dry will work. He's weird that way.

He got his flea medication (which of course takes care of just as many cat nasties as it does dog nasties, he uses Revolution too) so I'm hoping that will make him feel better too. If he had worms, he's not got them now.........although I've never seen any indication of that. Normally, I don't flea medication him............I fill a bowl with antibacterial dish soap and water and use one of those metal flea combs and it's usually enough. But Maggie came home so covered I knew that wasn't going to work.

Who knows? With my luck maybe he's allergic to fleas. He rarely gets them, and of course they go along with warm weather.........

Maybe his nose is too stuffy to make his food taste good. He's sneezing all over the place since Maggie came to live with us. And Maggie's had her bath. (that was comical) So doubtful it's any pollen she brought in. Molly will get hers soon as it's safe to do so after her flea medication dose. (probably sunday) But I'm sure she brings in pollen from outside because she uses the back yard. And I sneeze because of it. LOL

While I've got the dogs in I might ask the vet how much allergy medications for him would be. They seem really bad for him this year so far. BUT if I have to put them down his throat........he'll just suffer. I'm not getting scratched and bitten to hades and back just to get a pill down his throat. Nuh uh. He won't eat a treat or anything like that for me to hide it in.

keista

Yes, cats can get jealous. Mine is jealous of any other animal in the house. All the others are gone now,k but we did get a beta - she doesn't like him either!

Anyway, it's good for cats to get a can of food at least once in a while. An all dry diet can cause kidney stones or some other malady like that. I try to give one can a week, which is 2-3 meals.

donna723

Lisa, you might ask the vet if you can give him Benadryl for the allergies. It's cheap and it works very well. Lots and lots of dogs take a Benadryl every day for allergies, I would think cats could too but I would ask the vet first. With dogs, the dosage is 1 mg per pound of the dogs weight, so I give Ragan one 25 mg tablet every morning. Every store chain has it's own generic brand of Benadryl but it's all the same thing. I recently found 36-tablet packages of the 25 mg Walmart generic Benadryl for 88 cents a package and I loaded up, so I won't have to buy any more for a very long time.

busywend

All 3 of mine come running whenever a can is opened. Yelling, too! Well, meowing loudly. LOL!

If it is tuna they get the juice and a few little pieces of the tuna. When it isn't I have to watch where I step because surely they are underfoot waiting for their treat!

Jealousy - for sure. My big male cat is so sad that the other 2 little ones don't play with him. I think he is too big and they are scared to.

DammitJanet

Lisa, you should be able to find cheaper canned food than that at say Aldi's. I was finding the cheapest canned dog food for Buddy at like 45 cents a can and years ago when I mistakenly got one of our cats addicted to canned cat food I think it was like 35 cents a pack if I bought it in a bundle. And one brand was in pouches that was even cheaper like 29 cents. But what may be cheaper still is to look at the price per ounce and get one of those store brand types in the larger cans and get a can lid to put on it and keep it in the fridge. That way you can mix a bit in with his food and feed him that way. I mix the can food with dry food for the puppies.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'll check out aldi's canned cat food then. Maybe it's a lot cheaper. My dogs wouldn't touch their dog food though, which I found odd because they were raised on generic foods. They won't eat the kroger brand either.....which sort of ticks me off because sometimes that goes on sale super cheap.

DammitJanet

Cory thinks I have lost my ever loving mind because I am buying expensive dog food for my puppies. He says he pays 18 bucks for 50 pounds of Old Roy for his dog and that should be good enough for mine...lmao. I simply cannot get it through these peoples heads that corn isnt the best food for dogs...nor is meat by product something they should be eating.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The corn thing makes me mad. Meat by products thing, not so much. Dogs have eaten those for eons, not just in dog food. At least that they can digest.

Although I'll tell ya, with all this junk over pet food ect..........I'm seriously hunting for an affordable home recipe for dog food that meets nutritional needs. I see what's in the ones that are "organic" or "natural" and I'm like, well, gee, why do I feel so guilty over giving her table food? It's what she's eating anyway. Actually.........she's got healthier table scraps in her dish than what's in the dog food most likely. There are very few things Molly won't eat, so she gets a wide array of meats, fruits, and veggies. I limit the bread though, too starchy.

DammitJanet

LOL....we get Chinese food every week and they give us several pieces of broccoli that are just steamed and we cant eat them because they are too hard for us to chew. We always give them to the puppies and they think they are getting treats.

InsaneCdn

The two biggest problems with table-food being fed to dogs are:
1) salt (unless you are cooking low/no salt to start with)
2) herbs, spices and flavorings... onions and garlic are particular no-not otherwise specified, as are most peppers, not sure what all else

Dairy can be a problem, but cheese in extreme moderation... e.g. a treat, or to hide medications... is a classic and most dogs can handle that.

Otherwise... dogs are omnivores like us (and bears and pigs...).

The classic "sick-dog" recipe is boiled lean ground beef (nothing but beef and water), mixed with plain brown rice. That doesn't include the vitamins and minerals that come from veggies.