CD Cooks...Help Need With Navy Beans..

DDD

I soaked the beans all night after rinsing. This AM I put them in the crock pot with a wonderful ham bone I saved from Thanksgiving. I came home at 7 PM and the darn beans are "al dente". :redface: This happened once before about twenty years ago and I don't understand what causes it!!

So.....any suggestions?? I can mash the beans but the outside is still not soft. I can put the beans in the blender?? I can put the beans in the garbage disposal?? HELP! DDD

PS: Thank heavens I had good leftovers from Tuesday night so nobody is starving!

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think you just need to cook them longer. Why not leave them in until the morning?

The other option is to put them in a pot and finish the job by boiling them on the stovetop.

crazymama30

Was the crock pot on high or low? And how long were they in for? GCV mom is right on, both ways would work to finish them off.

DDD

I'm going to rev them back up and let them do their thing all night. It's not the end of the world but that ham bone is too nice to waste..lol.

Truthfully I don't think they could be overcooked but if they are somehow overcooked now.......they're going to be WAY overcooked by the morning!

I'll let you all know tomorrow. Night. DDD

donna723

I've always made them on top of the stove, not in a crock pot. But when I make them, I first wash them, then put them in the pot with water and bring it to a quick boil. Then take it off the heat, put a lid on the pot, and just let them sit for at least an hour before starting them to cook again. This always works. I would think it would work just as well to do this first before putting them in a crockpot.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I would think overcooked beans are simply dried out. But I could be wrong. I mean, how do they make refried beans? Aren't they just cooked and then recooked, thus the mushy consistency?

You could always make a tasty bean dip if you don't like the way they turn out in the morning... Add a little garlic and olive oil, throw it in the food processer/blender, and voila!

donna723

Overcooked baked beans will absorb a lot of the sauce and will get sort of hard. But plain beans that are cooked in water will just go to mush if they are cooked too long. If they do that, you just call it "bean soup' and eat it anyway!

DDD

:D Boy, nothing like a pot of bean soup to save money...lol.

Those beans used twenty hours of electricity before finally turning into good old fashioned navy bean soup! I don't know the value of a kilowatt but I bet I could have served Tbones just as cheap! :tongue:

Thanks for the help. For a while I thought I had bought possessed beans!
DDD

Lothlorien

[Those beans used twenty hours of electricity before finally turning into good old fashioned navy bean soup! I don't know the value of a kilowatt but I bet I could have served Tbones just as cheap! :tongue:

ROFL.....You are probably right!

Last edited: