Celebrities with mental health issues

tryinghard

Today I read that Heather Locklear admitted herself for treatment of aniexty and depression.

I am sad for her because a private issue is now so very public. On the other hand, I am thankful that so many (Britney Spears, Owen Wilson, Sheryl Crow, Jane Pauley..and many others) challenges are public because I feel in some small way it helps to humanize mental illness and promote treatment.

So many of us, and our difficult child's, try to hide it because people will think we are dangers or weird.

Maybe someday things will change....I am hopeful

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's a good thing every time someone becomes the face of mental illness. We have to work on taking mental illness out of the closet. I applaud anyone who demystifies the diagnosis.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree with Fran-mental illness needs to come out of the closet. Mental illness is so feared in this country. People don't understand it so they fear it.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I just wish the celebs would help to advocate and fund raise for it at the same level they do for some other causes. My prayers go out to Heather, after what her boyfriend and husband did to her, it's no wonder she's having a hard time

Sara PA

Jane Pauley is a pretty interesting case. She became depressed from prednisone prescribed for hives, was given antidepressants and developed antidepressant induced bipolar.