Celexa- anyone with experiences?

EastCoastChris

Can anyone share their experience with this medication.

citalopram (oral)

Pronunciation: sih TAL oh pram
Brand: Celexa

What is the most important information I should know about citalopram?
• Do not stop taking citalopram without first talking to your doctor. It may take 4 weeks or more for you to start feeling better.
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Citalopram may cause dizziness. If you experience dizziness, avoid these activities.
• Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking citalopram or affect your condition.

What is citalopram?
• Citalopram is in a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Citalopram affects chemicals in your brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression.
• Citalopram is used to treat depression.
• Citalopram may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking citalopram?
• You cannot take citalopram if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) during the last 2 weeks. A dangerous drug interaction can occur if citalopram is combined with any of these medications.
• Before taking citalopram, tell your doctor if you
· have liver disease,
· have kidney disease,
· suffer from seizures, or
· suffer from mania or have suicidal thoughts.
• You may not be able to take citalopram, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• Citalopram is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether citalopram will harm an unborn baby. Do not take citalopram without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
• Citalopram passes into breast milk and may affect a nursing infant. Do not take citalopram without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I take citalopram?
• Take citalopram exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each dose with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
• To ensure that you get the correct dose, measure the citalopram solution with a dose-measuring spoon or cup, not with a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist where you can get one.
• Citalopram may be taken with or without food.
• Citalopram is usually taken once a day. Follow your doctor's instructions. Take your dose at the same time each day.
• Do not stop taking citalopram without first talking to your doctor. It may take 4 weeks or more for you to start feeling better.
• Store citalopram at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
• Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next regularly scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take the next one as directed. Do not take a double dose of this medication unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

What happens if I overdose?
• Seek emergency medical attention.
• Symptoms of a citalopram overdose include nausea, vomiting, tremor, drowsiness, dizziness, sweating, and a fast heartbeat.

What should I avoid while taking citalopram?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Citalopram may cause dizziness. If you experience dizziness, avoid these activities.
• Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking citalopram or affect your condition.

What are the possible side effects of citalopram?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking citalopram and call your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· an irregular heartbeat or pulse;
· low blood pressure (dizziness, weakness);
· high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision); or
· chills or fever.
• If you experience any of the following less serious side effects, continue taking citalopram and talk to your doctor:
· headache, tremor, nervousness, or anxiety;
· nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, or changes in appetite or weight;
· sleepiness or insomnia; or
· decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect citalopram?
• You cannot take citalopram if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) during the last 2 weeks. A dangerous drug interaction can occur when citalopram is combined with any of these medications.
• Before taking citalopram, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
· another antidepressant such as fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), trazodone (Desyrel), or nefazodone (Serzone);
· a tricyclic antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil), imipramine (Tofranil), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), and others;
· a seizure medication including carbamazepine (Tegretol) or felbamate (Felbatol);
· a stomach medicine such as cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB), ranitidine (Zantac, Zantac 75), or omeprazole (Prilosec);
· an antibiotic such as erythromycin (Eryc-Tab, E-Mycin, E.E.S., Erythrocin, P.C.E., others) or clarithromycin (Biaxin);
· an antifungal medication such as fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Sporanox), or ketoconazole (Nizoral); or
· the asthma medication zafirlukast (Accolate).
• You may not be able to take citalopram, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with citalopram. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.

Where can I get more information?
• Your pharmacist has additional information about citalopram written for health professionals that you may read.

SaintT3

Letashia has been on Celexa (liquid) now since April of this year. It is working great for her.

At first it made her very tired, which was fine with me since I gave it to her at bedtime.
The Dr started her at 10 mgs per day, We did see an improvement, but not enough. In July I asked her Dr if I could up her dose to 15 mg. The Dr said ok, but was not sure I was going to see and signifigant changes with only 5 mgs. Well I have seen a world of difference with Letashia.
I have seen some weight gain with this medication, but not too bad. I suspect it is because the first month or so she was on it she had very little energy.

Letashia was afraid with this medication she would not beable to feel angry or upset.. Well this is definately not the case...She still is able to feel all her normal emotions..

After about a week on Celexa Letashia was giggling and being silly one night.. She told me " It feels so good to smile and giggle. I have wanted to for so long but couldn't."
She had not realized how depressed she had been, until the medications helped her out of it.
In retrospect, I wish I had pushed harder for this medication long ago. The doctors kept saying her depression was not bad enough for medications. Turns out this poor kid should have started Celexa at least 2years ago, maybe 3.

laura mz

jarrod was put on this medication first. he complained of feeling disconnected & lethargic so it was d/c. he had a better response to zoloft.

/importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif kris

Zach is on 10 mgs of celexa a day. We had d/c it at one time because we didn't really see a change...but boy oh boy we put him back on it quick. We didn't think 10 mgs. was much of an antidepressant, but when we took him off of it, he sank into a deep depression, didn't eat, didn't want to do anything.

We found it works well...

Kim

Fran, doctors put me on this when I first began chemo. Was simply not effective in keeping me balanced with everything. I was quickly changed to a more effective medication.

momto2

Can't really speak to thank you's experience on it, since we've been on no contact with- him since he started it. I can tell you he's not sleeping as many days away on it. We switched him to it from Luvox, because the Luvox caused weight loss.

Personally, I've found that it has helped with- depression, and also irritability/tendancy to yell. My family can always tell when I've missed a day or two. No weight gain/loss side effects. Very thirsty for the first two or three weeks, but it subsided. I can't say whether or not it affected my mental sharpness initially because I was in a deep funk to begin with, but I don't *think* it affects it now.

I take Celexa for my own depression and find it very helpful. Without it, I think I'd be catatonic in bed and unable to function at all. This is embarassing, but I did experience sexual side effects when I first started taking it. They lasted about three weeks, and I'm happy to report that everything is fine in that department at present.

The only other anti-depressant I've ever taken is Remeron. I found Remeron to have far worse side effects (lethargy, weight gain) that did not go away. In comparison, I prefer the Celexa.

Sue C

My Dr. prescribed this to me for my postpartum depression after my daughter was born. It did wonders for me. My family was escpecially pleased at the results :wink: . I was only on it a few months though, I didn't need it anymore after that.

Raoul

Yes, I take celexa too! I have had good luck with it! No weight gain with it. It can contribute to weight loss usually! No side effects that I can tell!

Pam

I have been on several of the medications listed here. First I would like to say that everyone is different. Just because something works great for one person does not necesarilly mean that it will for someone else ect...

I have just recently quit taking Celexa myself, I found that it did not do much of anything except make me tired and all my depresion and moods were the same. However I was told that it is the most recommended(in my area anyway)of those types of medication. And has the most natural ingredients as opposed to the competition.

I have also been on Paxil which had the most effectiveness I think than any of the medications.

I was also on Zoloft which made me feel more anxiety, more depression and made me gain weight(this happens to a larger percent than not)It also gave me dry mouth real bad(noticeably bad)

These are just a few I have tried and again just my own personal experiences and opinions.

Hope I helped, Venus