Cellophane wrappers from cigarette packs

Nancy

I found several cellophane wrappers from packs of cigarettes hidden in difficult child's room. We know she smokes so she isn't hiding that. What could she be hiding these for?

Nancy

slsh

member since 1999
Hopefully she's just a slob??? I did a google on drugs cigarette cellophane wrapper - looks like they may be used as a way to package drugs?

Nancy

There is a reason why she is hiding them, I just can't figure it out. She doesn't hide the cigarettes so why the wrappers? Also I found a boy's wallet in her car the other day and in it there were several of these wrappers folded up in the wallet. I didn't think anything of it until I found her today.

I found the same thing on the web, but how can you "hide" drugs in a clear cellophane wrapper. And why not just use a baggie?

Nancy

slsh

member since 1999
Way out of my realm of experience, Nancy. I'm guessing baggies aren't staples of dealers? If you've got smokes, you've got a ready-made baggie. Or maybe it's BYOB - bring your own bag?

The places our kids take us to.... sigh.

DammitJanet

Well you have Cory and his home boys stumped...lol. The only thing they can think of is she is either buying or selling a small amount of pot? Maybe...could be...maybe?

Ephchap

Over my head as well, Nancy. I can't imagine - unless it is for small amounts of some type of drug. Like you said, however, why not baggies that actually close? I just have no ideas. Arghhh. These kids and their sneaky ways is enough to put us over the edge, huh?

Sending hugs,
Deb

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
30 years ago these were used instead of tiny ziploc baggies for the storage of small amounts of "snortable" drugs such as heroin and cocaine.

One properly and neatly removed cigarette cellophane will hold a gram of "powder", which was how these drugs were sold for personal use.

I hope like heck I am wrong on this one, but I suspect I am not.

DammitJanet

GN.....you really could be right because my kid and his friends arent into powder. Cory is very anti-hard drugs. He has seen the effects of cocaine and crack on some of the older generation druggies and he doesnt like what he sees. I guess that is one good thing in his favor.

Estone3

Somehow stumbled upon this one page and had to make an account just to awnser this one question. I am am ex-addict three years clean now. But with being a drug user for 8 years doing all kinds of drugs out there, I learned alot of bad things. Everyone used to think of the cellophon on the cigarette packs as an extra baggie for drugs. Ranging from pot, pills, heroin mostly and anything else you can really think of sometimes. This may not be the case and she could store other things in there like money, jewelry or other small things. Anyways, sorry I hope this was not too graphic and hope the best for you and her.

Nancy

Thank you Estone and congratulations on your three years of sobriety. A lot has happened since May 2009 when I first posted that. My difficult child is indeed an alcoholic/addict. I now know she was using the wrappers for pot. She spent last summer in a rehab center and then relapsed shortly after release. She went on to get kicked out of our house, move in with a drug addict neighbor, lose her job, drink and smoke pot 24/7, dance in a strip club and finally hit bottom and went to a sober house where she has been since March 28. She is doing well, has accepted sobriety and is working hard at it. She recently garduated to 3/4s and has started a job working with animlas which she has always wanted to do. She is very lucky that she got sober when she did before she was arrested on serious charges and ruined her future.

I look back on those days two years ago when we were just finding out about her drug use and wonder how we all got through it. I am thrilled that you are doing so well and that gives me hope that my daughter can do the same.

Nancy

When I was a teenager I used to put pot in those wrappers and put it back in my cig. pack, the wrapper didn't need to be sealed because it was just going inside the pack. Look inside her cig. pack on occasion. She may think everything's safe inside there, who would look in there?

Shizaki

K not trying to be rude. But you should all know this...it's common knowledge. Cellophane is used on the inside of smoke packs because it is waterproof and it blocks the smell. It has a membrane from which whatever it is holding cannot pass through. That's why when you open smoke packs they don't smell unroll you rip off the foil and cellophane tin ****. I used to buy rolls of cellophane to package coke in because if you do it properly police dogs have a hell of a time sniffing it out. Tiny pieces like the ones in cig cases were used by people I knew to package tiny amounts of weed or coke for the simple reason that A: if you twist and light the cellophane it seals it making it air tight and not traceable to police dogs. And B it's tiny, it fits in your shoes, up your ass, or wherever the **** you hide your drugs. And that's the truth. Jesus if the cops where smart they'd sit and office supply stores and watch to see who comes out with rolls of just cellophane... Boom! He's a drug dealer. Case closed

buddy

Nancy, is it kind of awesome (both sad and happy) to look back now and see your journey? You are amazing!

Nancy

Buddy I thought the same thing when I saw this post resurrected. At first I was going to ask to have it locked and then I thought it was good for me to look back on my journey.

Nancy

P.S. That was so nice of you to say!

Last edited:

TeeTay90

I found several cellophane wrappers from packs of cigarettes hidden in difficult child's room. We know she smokes so she isn't hiding that. What could she be hiding these for?

Nancy

They can be used for the things people have said on the post.... holding various drugs. But I know that they are more likely to be used to crush pill in. Sorry

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's a new one on me TeeTay. Pill crushers are available at pharmacies. Certainly when I was in the "scene" (70s), pill crushers were what was used. A basic one is under ten dollars in today's money and will crush a pill finely enough for snorting or dissolving to inject. (No. I didn't. But I have crushed pills many, many times to medicate pets.) Cigarette cellophanes were used to store small amounts of weed, a few pills, or a small amount of powdered drugs.

ksm

Thanks for answering my question! That I hadn't even asked! But I had googled it.

I found what looks to be about a 1x2 inch homemade baggie, and inside was a half of a pill and some powder from the cut edge of the pill. I took the Baggie to my local pharmacy to see if he recognized it. He didn't. I am wondering if it is meth? I know it's not usually in pill form...but can be.

It is even heat sealed on the open edge.

How does one add a photo to your post?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Methamphetamine at one time was available in pill form as a prescription drug.It was used as a diet pill and as an early treatment for ADHD.

What you are describing sounds more like a high potency opioid tablet being used a bit at a time for smoking, snorting, or injecting. It would almost have to be a street tablet as nearly all of the pharmaceutical high potency opioids are now being manufactured so that if crushed or broken, they turn into a plasticky gel. The exemption to this is Roxicodone, a straight oxycodone tablet manufactured in different potencies. It is extremely popular on the street because it contains neither the anti-abuse stuff, nor acetaminophen (called APAP by pharmacists), which your typical oxycodone tablets from the pharmacy (generic Percocet) do, and which is toxic to the liver in lower dosages than you'd think.

Other possibilites are Dilaudid (or street version) which doesn't contain additives, provides a short, but intense high ( especially if injected).

The huge risk is that street opioids are now being very frequently cut with Fentanyl or one of its analogs. This is the reason for the huge increase in ODs we hear so much about. Fentanyl and its relatives are extremely potent, so much so that in some cases, Narcan can't blockade the drug in higher doses.