Champagne Tastes, Beer Budget (Holiday Shopping Support!)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
A few years back I found the biggest apples and oranges I'd ever seen. Bigger than grapefruit. I got those and some walnuts and almonds. husband and my parents were ecstatic... The kids weren't. :sigh:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL step.

mother in law used to get the kids those chocolate oranges. I used to like to hunt down special Santa candy. Then I'd hit the dollar stores or Odd Lots for other stocking stuffers. I don't do stockings for the grands. Sometimes I miss stockings.

InsaneCdn

Trinity - I can't wear Aldo. It seems, the only brands that fit my feet, are... expensive. Naturalizer, Josef Siebel, Birkenstocks, etc. I can't even wear Crocs. Maybe its a sensory thing, but shoes have to FIT... and I'm extra-wide at the front and extra-narrow at the heel... I get away with slides when I can, but... its all about the fit. And I CAN get a good fit... but I have to really pay for it - 20% off is the definition of "sale". Even the clearance places don't drop those more than half.

Oh well... Another 10 years, and I won't be paying for kids' clothes, so... <dream>
(by then, I'll probably be in a wheelchair and won't need shoes!)

Ma Kettle

There is a site called Promocodes2011 that is great for online ordering. It features promo codes for money off of orders for Kohls, The Childrens Place, Ebay, Aeropostale, Express, Guess, Target, Sierra Trading Post, Rei, bebe and Naturalizer. Got 15% off and free shipping from Naturalizer for myself. WOOTWOOT!

Happy shopping one and all.

Ma Kettle

susiestar

Roll With It
If you have swagbucks, you can get 35% off and 250 swagbucks at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic today (yes, just 1 hr left, but I just found out). Old Navy often has good xmas items that are affordable.

For a gift that is cool, what about gold dollars in a little pouch? We are doing that for Wiz for his birthday.

If you want a pay as you go phone, Net10 is the cheapest (I just priced them all a few weeks ago) and CVS will have the LG 900G for $20 (reg $40) in their Black Fri ad - I think it starts on Thanksgiving). I have that phone and it is great - it is a smartphone and works well as an mp3 player - I put songs on a microSD card). Minutes are never more than 10 cents, for $25 you can get 750 minutes (texts and internet are charged in units of minutes), for $50 you get unlimited per month. We don't use the phone a ton, so this has been great.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
For a gift that is cool, what about gold dollars in a little pouch? We are doing that for Wiz for his birthday.

I'm thinking chocolate gold coins........I'm guessing due to his age you're not. :rofl:

If any of my kids happen to be peeking in: Mom wants real gold coins in a little pouch, ones that are more gold than the rest of the metals in them. lol (hey, I can dream, it's xmas lol) Besides, the grands usually share their chocolate ones with me.

DammitJanet

I think either cvs or walgreens has a vizio tablet for 98 bucks. Now that is a darn good price for a tablet. If anyone is getting up for the walmart sales, walmart as the leapfrog 32mg Tag pens for 20 bucks and books for 8 bucks this year. Thats much cheaper than years before. For really little ones, they have a padded horsey that whinnies and rocks for cheap.

I actually am going to call Linda to find out what they are getting Keyana so I dont buy the same toys. I would hate to spend a hundred bucks on that leappad and they do it too. I could just get that tag pen and be done with it considering we havent even had a phone call in months.

JJJ

This thread reminds me of the year that husband bought "coal" and stuck it in all the kids stockings with all the other stuffers. (It was actually gum/) The younger three thought it was hysterical. Kanga sobbed and sobbed...(guess she thought Santa knew what we hadn't caught yet lol)

SRL

Be sure and check out Amazon Prime, Amazon Mom, and Amazon Student to see if there are savings for you. I did the free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime last year in December and loved the free two day shipping. This year they've also added streaming video options for some of their titles.

This article talks about some of the options. I will mention that not all items listed on Amazon are covered--only those sold by amazon--not their other vendors.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

The $79 won't save everyone money--but the free trial might.

SRL

Be sure and check out Amazon Prime, Amazon Mom, and Amazon Student to see if there are savings for you. I did the free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime last year in December and loved the free two day shipping. This year they've also added streaming video options for some of their titles.

This article talks about some of the options. I will mention that not all items listed on Amazon are covered--only those sold by amazon--not their other vendors.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

The $79 won't save everyone money--but the free trial might.

buddy

so here is a truly embarrassing question.... I usually donate to this but this year??? Do you know how to get on a list for salvation army or those other christmas toy programs?? I just dont know what to do. Usually my dad gives me birthday money and I use that for his christmas and birthday (they are 10 days apart). But this year I had to use the money (he gave it to me already) for electricity and gas. (still only paid part). I asked at the food shelf but they actually didn't know. they have a christmas gift thing but it is one puzzle or truck etc. He asked me yesterday to please tell Santa it is ok to listen to his wish for a rip stick... my step mother asked me what he wanted so I put that one on her. She will also likely get him a nascar jacket because he grew out of his this year.

He really wants a phone. I am trying. But beyond that????

DammitJanet

Buddy...call Social Services and Salvation Army. Also call the hospital he was just at and ask them. Normally social services has an application for some help. Also call local churches because they have people they do things for.

JJJ

Buddy -- never be embarrassed to reach out for help when you truly need it. People want to help. Our church was very concerned a couple of years ago because there was a huge increase in the number of families asking for help at Christmas. The priests mentioned during the sermons that the need was unusally high this year and any help would be greatly appreciated. My mom (who runs our 'giving tree' program) was pleasantly shocked as those that could help, did help and every single family got a full Christmas dinner, enough other food for a week, and several gifts for each child. And....they had enough gifts left over that they drove them to a very poor church in the next town, which allowed them to ensure that every child there got at least one gift too.

Every year, they have a family that had come for help return and donate to the next set of families. Sometimes they have a family that has donated for years, come and ask for help this year. That is the best of humanity, when we help those we can and reach out for help when we need it.

susiestar

Roll With It
Ladies, you have to remember that the gold coins are for WIZ - the kid who didn't believe in Talk Like a Pirate Day. he wanted a week, or even a month! He also spent maybe a year grabbing shiny things and going on about "My pretty" - the thing from Lord of the Rings, I think. He is still very into D&D, so a pouch of "gold" will thrill him, lol.

For those who craft or have a crafter on their lists - Michaels has the OTT Tulip Light for $18, which is 77% off. Joanne Fabric has a different OTT light for 19.99, which isn't as big a discount (this one retails for $20, the tulip light for $80), but either would be a great gift for anyone who quilts, sews, beads, does any kind of needlework, knits, crochets, scrapbooks, etc.... While it won't be advertised, you might also check the price on the OTT and Daylight brand replacement bulbs. I know some stores carry their bulbs, which lets you turn any lamp into a full spectrum lamp.

If photos are a good gift for someone on your list (if this were me I would do this with a picture of Keyana for Janet), a Canvas People will turn your photo into a painting on canvas. I have seen good reviews, but haven't tried them. The 8X10 size is free, but you pay shipping which is $14.95 from what I have seen. You don't need a promo code.

Big Lots has some good deals. I know that workbenches for kids came up, and I have NO idea what good prices are for these, but Big Lots has one for $30. they also have an Emerson touch media player for $19.88 and the Pandigital Android 9 inch tablet for 79. A reg mp3 player by sylvania (these have held up well for my kids), 4gb, is 14.88, and the first 50 customers on FRIDAY can get a Dakin 30 inch plush teddy bear for just $5.

klmno

Hmmm....will furniture or appliance stores have boyfriend sales? My dryer went out and the washer barely works. I finally got the landlord to agree to drop the rent a little and just let me get my own with-d. I simply can't stand living with appliances that I can't depend on to work the way they should. Soooo...is it worth waiting until Friday or should I just go today so maybe I can get them delivered sooner?