Change disability!?????

cnels

TOmorrow early a.m. I meet with the school to change the disability, and this afternoon the advocate called and said not to change it. It's currently an emotional one being changed to aspergers? She is worried if he gets into trouble the will be better protected under an emotional disability! Does it matter? Any answers tonight would be very helpful

Sheila

The classification shouldn't matter. Every child's IEP is suppose to address the student's unique needs -- no matter what the disability classification.

Actually, some are able to get more services for kids with-a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) such as Aspergers. That's not the way it should be, but it happens.

Martie

The protection for all Sp Ed eligible students is the same. However, if a child engages in behavior likely to result in disciplinary action, this should be addressed proactively in the IEP though a BIP.

If this is done correctly, it is then very easy to win a manifestation determination hearing.

Martie

svengandhi

It depends in my opinion. I have one of each. difficult child is diagnosed with a school based anxiety disorder under the ED classification. Oldest boy is OHI. At one point, they wanted to call him Asperger's. I do not think he is (long story) but in order to get him into the placement I wanted him in, it was the best diagnosis. But I insisted that we keep OHI as the formal classification.

I wish I could change difficult child's classification but it's ED or nothing since he has no LDs (he is in HS level math and science in middle school) other than expressive writing disorder (which is a fancy way of saying he refuses to write anything other than the facts). ED makes the school look at them like behavior problems even when they aren't. The Aspie diagnosis makes the school cut them more slack, like they can't control the way they are. ED kids often can't either but like ADHD kids are expected to.

IF your son is Aspie, I would go for that one and then make sure that in the narrative portion of the IEP, all of his behavioral issues are discussed and related to the Asperger's so that if he does act out, you will easily be able to say that it's a manifestation of his disability.