Change in mood for the good

Nancy

About a month ago difficult child had her psychiatrist medication check. Things were not going well. difficult child was fighting with all her friends, she was in real danger of getting kicked off the flag team, her mood at home was horrible and she didn't have a civil word for anyone. I told her several times that she was ruining her senior year of high school and someday she would be sorry for that. We were watching her spiral into a very dark place.

psychiatrist changed the dose of lamictal from 300 mg daily to 400 mg and very emphatically told me it had to be split into two doses to keep the level in her blood correct. We had been giving her the whole dose in the am because there were too many afternoon doses that were missed for one reason or another. She is not medication compliant and we have to actually hand her the medications and watch her take them.

I am happy to report that after a month now on the high doses her behavior has completely turned around. She has made up with all her friends, if having a great time on the flag team, is following our rules on curfew and driving, and best of all she is talkative and very friendly at home. She even told her sister that she was happy and glad to see her at senior band night Friday. When we walked her onto the football frield Friday she seld both mine and husband's hand the whole way and hugged us, and it was genuine.

I don't know if it will last but it is apparent that the medication change has helped tremendously.

Nancy

DDD

Glad to hear that you all will have some warm senior year memories. I'm happy for you all. difficult child's senior year is going south as GFGmom is letting him "be in charge" of his own medications. Yikes. It's such a waste. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad the medication change worked and her senoir year will be a good one instead of clouded with bad memories. Hope it continues to work for her.

Hugs

TerryJ2

Wow, Nancy, it's great that the doctor was able to pick up on that and make sure the dose stayed constant. Way To Go!!! That's great.
I know your daughter feels good about herself, too.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What a great feeling you must have to finally see her doing so well! :D

Lamictal has done great things for my husband's mood, too. I'm kinda sad he has to go off it. He's been amazing on it...