changing schools

Dara

Hi all. It has been a while. we are now looking for a new school for Sammy. This is his third year at this school. He has loved it and been happy to go every day. In fact this summer was one of his best yet at the school. Imagine my surprise when suddenly shortly after the school year started, he didnt want to go anymore and would cry every morning and have difficult separations at school. I tried to ask him about it but he really cant tell me so I really have no idea what is going on. his teachers one who is also the director says he is doing fine, which I dont doubt. His speech pathologist who comes to his class 2 times a week says he seems happy but can also see the problems for Sammy in the class as I do. First, there are 18 4 year olds in this class. Many of which have behavioral issues. The teachers are not willing to do what the speech pathologist has reccomended which is a picture schedule (she made one at the request of the teachers that would be big enough to use with the whole class) and a little piece of paper to fill out with Sammy at the end of the day so that we can talk about what he did in school each day. He also has been potty trained for just over a month and has been having accidents consistantly only at school. He has never had 1 accident at home. Tuesday, he had 3 accidents in 1 day. That is absolutely unacceptable to me as a parent and a teacher. If you have a child having a hard time going potty you give them extra help and attention to see what is going on. The point is, this is not the idea situation to help Sammy feel confident and successful. It is not going to help him function in a normal classroom. Today we are trying another school which will at most have 12 in a classroom is very structured and has class potty times. Hopefully it will work out. In the meantime I am very angry and sad about how things went on in the other school

threebabygirls

I'm sorry things aren't working out. I agree that 18 kids is a lot to deal with when many have behavioral issues. Not to sound like I'm defending the teachers, but maybe they are just stretched too thin to be able to do everything for Sammy that needs to be done. You are right to take him where his every need will be met. Good luck.

BusynMember

If it makes you feel any better, I am convinced CONVINCED that the reason my fifteen year old Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) son is doing so well now is because he started out in a small classroom in Special Education and was only barely mainstreamed. THere were about ten kids in his early classes. He got so much attention and, since he was bright, he really learned from the teacher and his aid and made invaluable friendships that he still has, even though he has been mainstreamed. I never tried to put him in mainstream school before he was ready. I thought it was better to go slow with him. It has paid off big time. He has a nice circle of friends, a girlfriend (and he's on the autism spectrum) and I expect him to do well in a two year college. Some of our kids need to work up to mainstreaming. I don't think they should be pushed. Good luck to Sammy in his new setting :)

Dara

The school Sammy was at had a great reputation for being great with Special Education kids. Up until now it was true. I definitely agree with you Threebabygirls, they were stretched too thin. 18 4 year olds in a class is way too many. A lot of the problems I had there came from my preschool teaching point of view. Sammy was so totally stressed out about going and that worried me because he was there for 3 years. This new school seems to be a good fit. Lots of structure and small classroom!

Dara

So far so good. He was so excited about going this morning. It is a carpool line. He was ready to dive out. I got a quick kiss and off he went. SUch a pro! It seems like such a good enviornment for him. They have you fill out a paper for the teacher with any special concerns or needs for your child. As a former preschool teacher, I like the organization of the place, the art work all over, the communication. My mommy gut says it feels right. We will see what Sammy says about it!!

TerryJ2

Oh, Dara, I am so sorry. But it sounds like it's working out now! Being exciting about going to school is great!
I hope that means the potty accidents will stop, too.
He sounds really cute.