Check in time for midwesterners!

flutterby

Fly away!
We were just hit with the severe thunderstorm - torrential rain, very little visibility. We have a tornado watch until 4pm and a wind advisory until 8pm.

H

HaoZi

Does Indiana count as midwest? I'm not even sure. My anxiety is kicking up pretty nasty (PTSD from Katrina before we moved here so any low pressure front triggers me), but otherwise fine.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Halfway through lunch the tornado sirens went off... First time it's happened in 7 1/2 years I've worked here that it hasn't been a test. Spent the other half of my lunch in the "tornado shelter" which is a room in the middle of the building, with about 15 other people. The good news is, my car is SPARKLING clean from the wind and rain. Temp dropped too - but all in midwest Ohio is good.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hey, my exh is driving a U-Haul from South Dakota to NY for a friend...and he's in the midst of some storm warnings...just how bad is this storm? :devil:(tee hee hee hee)

H

HaoZi

News said it's the worst storm Chicago has seen in about 70 years. Having gotten married in a hurricane when I was young... it's the kind of weather that makes me homesick.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Passed through about two hours ago. High winds, some rain here, but no lightening. Power flickered, but came back on. I'm betting others weren't as lucky. A few trees down and if small buildings (I mean little sheds) weren't anchored they were blown away. Went thru quickly and yes Indiana is in the midwest.......

Andy

Haozi, you are so funny! :) rofl - if you are homesick, come visit me. Just a very strong wind with light sprinkles and rain - blustery, pre hurricane type weather.

What I worry most about is ice on the roads (I would be the last person to drive those trucks on the ice roads). I heard much of the snow will stay way north of us - the concern if we get any snow is more the reduced visability the winds will cause blowing it around. The accumulation will not bother us. Wonder if they have closed some interstates? That wind is strong enough in the open to push small cars off the road and tip over the taller vehicles.

tiredmommy

Our local meteorologist said that this storm is stronger than the one that brought down the Edmund Fitzgerald on Lake Superior in the 70's. You'd have to look back to around 1940 to find one this strong. We are at a slight risk for severe weather (winds) but we battened down the hatches anyway.

Jo- I hope your x makes it through okay or at least finds a safe place to park and ride out. It seems like it's only lasting a few hours.

T

TeDo

Our meterologists are saying these winds, etc are now supposed to last until 7 pm TOMORROW. We will be staying in tonight for "family movie and game night". The wind did slam my van door in my face, literally, when I stopped at the grocery store. OWWW. Otherwise, I have everything tied down or dragged in so guess we'll be alright.

Hearts, I'm thinking "positive"??? thoughts.

Take care all of you and stay safe, stay warm.

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't think we expect any problems here in OK. At least in my town it is SUNNY!!

Of course our town is in some kind of weather bubble. Most of the really bad storms go around us, and have for as long as I can remember. We get some tornado alerts, but rarely any real damage.

I hope everyone stays safe!!

H

HaoZi

Haozi, you are so funny! :) rofl - if you are homesick, come visit me. Just a very strong wind with light sprinkles and rain - blustery, pre hurricane type weather.

What I worry most about is ice on the roads (I would be the last person to drive those trucks on the ice roads). I heard much of the snow will stay way north of us - the concern if we get any snow is more the reduced visability the winds will cause blowing it around. The accumulation will not bother us. Wonder if they have closed some interstates? That wind is strong enough in the open to push small cars off the road and tip over the taller vehicles.

Yep, lived in Florida until my late 20s, then moved to MS, and moved to Indiana after Katrina. Never had an issue with storms before that, were more of a nuisance since I lived far enough inland in FL that by the time we caught them it was more like a severe thunderstorm, which we got a lot of anyway.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Like Andy, I'm getting the strong blustery winds & rain. We've had some dozy wind gusts tho. I haven't checked the weather yet but a grocery clerk said there is a prediction of snow tonight & into tomorrow. Don't believe it; won't believe it.

So glad I got my new windows installed!

M

Mamaof5

Northern Ontario is being hit with the same storm too. A nasty wind storm, we've had heavy rain, hail and gusts of wind hitting upwards of 70k\hr!!! Brown outs all over the Algoma area (I reside in that area which is between Sudbury and Sault Saint Marie).

Nasty nasty weather!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Super heavy winds today-our windows at school were rattling. We had to have indoor recess due to the winds. About an hour and a half from here they have had major damage. About a half hour away they had to send kids home from a high due to the roof blowing off.

Thankfully not much damage that I know of here in our city but the winds are expected to continue through tomorrow night (early evening).