Checking in...

saving grace

Hi All,

I just wanted to check in and update on us, I came by the other day but got sidetracked on another thread and never updated.
easy child just turned 23 yesterday. There were many times that I thought he wouldnt make it to 21 nevermind 23. He is my pride and joy.
He is still clean and sober, over 2 years, he is still employed and still looking for more work. He pays his bills, takes his medications and is in his program faithfully.
husband and I went to Paris back in May, we actually left baby girl ( almost 7 now) with my son for 3 days, he got her up, dressed for school, brought her to school, brought her to dance and girl scouts, got her bath ready, read her story and kissed her good night. I was completely at peace and trusted him with her. It was a joyous vacation.
He is in the process of applying for a job where I work, he worked there a few years ago but in a different department. I dont have to tell everyone how that ended up, I was humiliated. Well... I am so proud of him, I actually met with the president of HR, ( my boss) and gave him a personal reference.

Now for the worry. He has been in an adolescent program, because he just turned 23 he has aged out of the program. He has two options, he can leave the program and wean off of the suboxone OR transfer to an adult program or phsychiatrist. Yup, you guessed it, he wants to try to come off of suboxone and not transfer. They will do it over the course of the next couple of months then follow him for a month or two after to make sure he feels safe and stable. I am unsure of how I feel about this, in a way I want him off the suboxone, he needs to learn to live with out it. On the other hand I am nervous as heck, everything is too good right now. He has also been bickering with his girlfriend for awhile now, not sure he can sustain that while dealing with this change.

You might be seeing me around alot more,

How is everyone else?

Grace

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Hi Grace,

I can understand your worry. Getting out of the program and/or starting a new job are each major stressors, let alone trying to do both at the same time. I think they are terrific goals...just maybe do one at a time. Would he consider that?

How wonderful that he took such good care of his sis while you were away. What a great gift to all of you!

Hugs,
Suz

DDD

What a terrific update. I'm so happy for your family although I do understand
your fears about his next choices. Fingers crossed. DDD

M

ML

Great update!! We're here to support you through the next step in your journey. ML

gottaloveem

Hi Grace,
I also can understand your worry about your son going "solo". I will cross all body parts that he has lived the "good life" long enough to stick with it. I believe he can do it.

How cool is it that you have been able to enjoy your son. To be able to trust him as a caregiver to your younger daughter would have been an inconceivable thought a couple of years ago.

You are right, he does need to get off the suboxone. I'm sure they will wean him off slowly and he will do just fine.

Take Care Grace and the best of luck to your son.

Lia

saving grace

Thanks everyone! One day at a time. I live by that motto and it has gotten me through.

Lia!! How are you? I haven't been around in a while. Whats new?