Checking in...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
To let you warrior moms know that we made it home safe and sound.

I wish I were as articulate and funny as the rest of you. All I can say, from my heart, is that I am grateful that you have accepted me. We were all raised in different places, speak with different accents, but our common humanity and love for our troubled children link us in a very special way which transcends geographical borders. I can't help but wonder if there isn't some broken-hearted and worried mom in some undiscovered tribe somewhere who knows how we all feel...

There were many moving moments, gut wrenching stories, but I believe what moved me (and surprised me) the most was when Step2's difficult child asked me for a hug and then asked our easy child for a hug. After the agony that child was made to endure, she is still able to trust enough that two total strangers will not refuse to hug someone who needs some human warmth and contact. That gives me so much hope for the future.

I never thought I'd see my easy child, Claritin;), hug a goth/emo/scene teen girl.

Nancy, thank you so much for hosting us and working so hard to make us comfortable! Now I know where Ohio is...

tiredmommy

I can't help but wonder if there isn't some broken-hearted and worried mom in some undiscovered tribe somewhere who knows how we all feel...

3S, I'm sure there are many like us. :)

I'm glad you all made it home safe and sound. I, too, am happy to have finally met so many this weekend. Your husband and easy child are delightful!

So who hasn't checked in?

*Mrs.CatInTheHat
*KtMom91
*Ephchap
*TimerLady
*DammitJanet

Did I miss anyone?

klmno

3S, I wasn't there but am glad you got to go. I looked at the photos and I really think your CD name seems to fit you, for some reason. I think you look wise!

I think Janet mentioned that she was going to take a long way home and visit a couple of other places.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
3S I was so tickled to meet you, husband and easy child. :D I'm glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. I had to giggle about easy child hugging Onyxx. lol I think your easy child took home some wisdom of her own, although she might not want to admit it. ;)

((hugs))

everywoman

3S---you seem to be such a warm, genuine person. I so enjoyed meeting you, your husband, and seeing your easy child. She is a lovely girl.
Now a list of southern writers

Pat Conroy---Beaches, The Water is Wide, The Lords of Discipline (about the military college my pcson graduated from)
Erskine Caldwell---Tobacco Road (excellent short stories)
Flannery O'Conner--short fiction
Truman Capote---Breakfast at Tiffany's is him most famous, but his short stories contain souther culture....so look for his short fiction---I love "A Christmas Memory" and The Grass Harp
Carson McCuller--A Member of the Wedding (your easy child will like this one too)--p.s. she was my grandmother's best friend's college roommate
Rick Bragg---All Over But the Shouting, Ava's Man
Maya Angelou---I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Zora Neale Hurston---Their Eyes Were Watching God
William Faulkner---Absalom, The Sound and the Fury, A Light in August, As I Lay Dying
Harper Lee---To Kill A Mockinbird
Fannie Flagg---Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
Ann Tyler--Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant
Nickolas Sparks---The Notebook

Ephchap

Glad you made it home, safely, 3S, and it was wonderful to meet you and your family. Your easy child is going to be a heartbreaker, that's for sure. What an incredibly beautiful girl !

I sent an email to everyone when I got home yesterday early in the afternoon and headed right out again so didn't have time to check the board. I'm here though. :)

Again, what a great time and great company !

Deb

Nancy

3S I so very much enjoyed meeting you and your husband and easy child. You are a very warm and caring person and so open and easy to talk to. I was so sorry that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye and I truly hope our paths cross again.

Nancy

flutterby

Fly away!
Janet and Tony left around noon. Tony got the car fixed and they were going to take a circuitous route home through the mountains.

3S, I so wish I could have met you and your easy child, and everyone else, too.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I really enjoyed meeting you and our dinner conversation, 3S. What a terrific evening it was.

If you look up Pat Conroy books be sure to grab The Prince of Tides- it's amazing.

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
3 Shadows & the 5th Dimension- :tongue:

I am so glad that I got to speak with you both. FINALLY! It's okay that difficult child wasn't around to speak with me - I can remain the cool distant unknown SC Auntie..lol. Gotta ask since I see the pictures - Is there some Native American in your family? You have such a beautiful face and I LOVE your long hair. Very pretty.

Maybe next reunion? Avec Moi? lol...

Hugs & Love....
Star

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Star, you have a sixth sense! Unfortunately NO native American in my blood but our French relatives always used to call my American born dad "le peau rouge", the red skin. They used to say "Francis, il a le nez bas": Frank has a low nose! Our difficult children (adopted) are part native American (east coast, Abenaki Nation). We felt so honored to be able to offer them our hearts and our love!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I was so glad to meet you and your husband and easy child. I enjoyed talking with your husband Saturday night. It was so nice to meet you and get to know you a bit.

Many hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
3S -

Do your kids have their BIA cards - Did you know (probably so) that they can get grants for college with N/A status? I had to laugh - I wrote the Chieftan of my Father's tribe - Long Time Standing Bear...(great name) I think in English it translates to Billy Mayes. He wrote be back and said "Hi Star" Buy my book. I nearly died laughing. Yea thanks Chief - will do.

So Cheri voulez vous Francais? Tres bein!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Star, their N/A grandfather refused a blood test to prove that he was indeed the father of their biomom. Our lawyer petitioned both the Penobscots and the Passamaquoddys for permission to adopt them. If a child is 1/16th N/A (not certain that's the correct figure) any one person in the tribe has the right to block an outsider from adopting. Both tribes denied knowing the family. The following exerpt from Wikipedia might explain why:

Land claims lawsuit

The Passamaquoddy may be best known outside the region for Passamaquoddy v. Morton, a 1975 land claims lawsuit in the United States which opened the door to successful land claims negotiations for many eastern tribes, giving federal recognition and millions of dollars to purchase trust lands. The Passamaquoddy and the Penobscot tribes were awarded $81.5 million and 300,000 acres (1,200 km2) of designated woodland at the resolution of this case by the Maine Indian Land Claims Act, signed on March 15, 1980, in return for relinquishing their rights to 19,500 square miles (51,000 km2), (12,480,000 acres) which is roughly 60% of the State of Maine. Most Penobscot live on a reservation at Indian Island, which is near Old Town.

They invested the money well enough that they quickly increased it to $100 million. Their investing strategy was written up as a case study by Harvard Business School.

In our case it's a moot point since there seems to be little interest in "formal education"!

KTMom91

It was wonderful to meet you, 3S. I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to you, but we saw your Hubby on our way to breakfast. Hope he passed on our goodbyes.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
It was wonderful to meet you too! I have the feeling we will meet again. husband forgot to pass on your goodbyes, I think God punished him, see my post in response to yours;).