Cherishing Relationships, Cultivating Love

Scent of Cedar *

Yes. He was unaware that Winnie the Pooh had never been written for children, at all. He has always loved it, though. He will read again from this perspective.

We read from and discuss one of three Chinese philosophers at each Tai Chi meeting. Currently, Lieh Tzu. The uncarved block was addressed in passing (the man, finding himself caught up in the world of lies and truth, went to live with his wife cooking, cleaning, tending the animals, and was become as uncarved wood).

So, we discussed that a little bit. Tai Chi instructor knew that concept, of course, but people new to the class did not. It was interesting that one of the women bristled at the concept of "women's work" and missed the entire point. Our perceptions do determine what we see and hear.

He also told the story of taking his grands out on his boat at night and telling stories anchored in the harbor beneath the stars.

Isn't that beautiful imagery.

Cedar

New Leaf

Hi Cedar,
So, we discussed that a little bit. Tai Chi instructor knew that concept, of course, but people new to the class did not. It was interesting that one of the women bristled at the concept of "women's work" and missed the entire point. Our perceptions do determine what we see and hear.
Yes, it is interesting what people will walk away from a discussion with.

He also told the story of taking his grands out on his boat at night and telling stories anchored in the harbor beneath the stars.
Oh, that is so nice.

Isn't that beautiful imagery.
I love it.
Thank you Cedar. I am glad your Instructor liked the Tao of Pooh perspective.

leafy

New Leaf

We are talking about issues of abandonment and love in another thread.
I think the idea of exploring cherishing relationships, and cultivating love, starts with not only how we view ourselves, but how we cultivate a healthy love for ourselves?

If we do not love and care for, cherish, ourselves, how do we love others?

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/30-ways-practice-self-love-and-good-yourself.html

I like some of the ideas presented in the article.

What do you think? How do you folks cherish, and replenish yourselves?

I think it is a gift to ourselves worth looking at.

leafy

Scent of Cedar *

Have you read David Brooks' The Road to Character, Leafy? He doesn't address loving ourselves so much as what the nature of loving ourselves might be. I liked it very much.

Cedar

Scent of Cedar *

What do you think? How do you folks cherish, and replenish yourselves?

Sometimes I am not ethical with myself. Yoga gets to be about saying "Yas, indeed I do."

So, I stop. I am at a stop point right now, because I was using it to show off to myself. For heaven's sake! To myself!!!

So, I had to stop for a little while.

Tai Chi I am still okay with. The instructor is very good ~ very perceptive and good at piercing ego bubbles without destroying us.

The best way I know to replenish ourselves is to slow down. To do our work wholeheartedly, to sort of drink your tea; to drink it and savor it and ourselves in that moment as though our attention is the axis upon which the fate of the whole world and all of time depends. That is a misquote of Thich Nhat Hahn. Here is the real quote:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/13671-drink-your-tea-slowly-and-reverently-as-if-it-is

He was asked about anger, once. His response was that his choice of outlook is a practice. That is how to forgive ourselves, I think. We practice and practice becoming our best selves, trusting very much that we will, but never once forgetting that we are human, and not perfect, at all.

Practice.

That is our practice; and nothing is by rote, and that keeps us present and in the moment and aware that anything at all could happen next, even if we've done this very thing one hundred times.

I liked learning to see myself that way, very much.

It is hard to do.

If we drink our tea while watching the sun come up, that is an amazing experience. The axis of the world seems there, and birdsong and wind.

Those things I like, and being right up next to D H whiskery cheek.

You would think I would have gotten over that, by now.

:O)

Cedar

New Leaf

Have you read David Brooks' The Road to Character, Leafy? He doesn't address loving ourselves so much as what the nature of loving ourselves might be. I liked it very much.

Cedar
I will read it Cedar.

"Radical self awareness from a position of other-centeredness."

I am at work will respond this evening.
Thank you Cedar

New Leaf

Cedar, I fell asleep. I need to research some more, and will respond later. I am sorry I did not last night, I think my body really, really needed rest.
It is December 1st, a new month, a new day.

Love, joy, faith and peace.

Thank you Cedar, I have much to ponder. But, now I must ready for work.

leafy