Chicken Coop is a Swamp

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We are on our third storm since Sunday, with another coming tomorrow, and this one is dumping the heaviest amount of rain so far. Yesterday, my town got 2.95 inches. The yard was a pond for most of the day, and it's starting to fill up again now. I'll bet today we get at least an inch more rain.

We really need the water, but geez, not all at once! Some communities in the burn area from last summer/fall are being evacuated due to mudslides. Thankfully, our neighborhood seems to be fine despite a wildfire that went through here a year ago last November.

So just wanted to let y'all know, who were jealous of our lovely SoCal weather, that it never rains it California, but girl don't they warn ya, it pours, man it pours! :laugh:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I remember the years I lived in San Diego and these winter storms. Every year there would be massive flooding and every year people would die who thought it would be fun to kayak the flooded areas.

One year the flooding was so bad that the mayor closed the city and all employers sent people home at 2pm. Even so, my car couldn't get traction on the freeway and I watched in horror as other cars floated around me. That afternoon it took me 4 hours to get home.

You have my sympathy. I hope everyone stays safe.

Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks, Suz. It's husband I worry about. His office is near LAX and traffic is horrible on a good night. I only hope the routes he takes aren't flooded. Fortunately he went in late and will be coming home late after the usual rush hour has died down, but I'll bet it stays congested much longer than usual tonight. Four hours sounds about right for a day like today!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We keep narrowly missing each storm. Which is a bummer, we need the rain badly as well. We are getting the rain but not like they thought. Phoenix is getting hit worse than us.
I am hoping this next one hits us...
I hope you all stay safe and the Chickies.

KTMom91

How long did it take husband to get home?

It's pouring here as well...they're handing out sandbags at the city yards.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Surprisingly, it only took him about 90 minutes even with the rain and the traffic, which is typical. His new GPS is really helping him find alternate routes when one or more of the freeways is backed up (that and calling me to check traffic online when he leaves :) ).

Mary, I hope you don't get pounded too badly up there! I'll bet the mountains will look breathtaking when this all clears! :D

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's not too far from the truth today, Star!

I'm about ready to dig out my snorkeling gear... it's been coming down hard all morning, and the forecasters say the worst of it will be from 1pm until 6pm... ugh. The southern part of my county now has a flash flood watch in place. This is one of those times I'm glad I'm on top of a hill with a healthy setback from the edge! :D

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm so sorry this is continuing.

Glad husband made it home safely last night. I hope his travels go well today, too.

Suz