Chiropracters? Yes or no

witzend

Janet, I find that if I sit with my feet firmly planted apart and pour my cane straight between my feet I can fairly easily user it to pull myself up. Maybe you could keep one by the bed for that?

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

bluebell

I have scoliosis and osteoarthritis in my lower back and my back will 'pop out' every now and then, and I will be in terrible pain and basically immobile for days. I went to a chiro a couple of years ago and he got my feet even as said above but other than that I just noticed he was stretching out my hamstrings (there are much better chiros I know).

So I bought me some of those exercise bands and looked up hamstring stretches on the internet and do them every day. I also swim in season and walk, but I've always done that - now I can just do it more. I've been ok since then - at least no more immobilizations anyway - I'll always have pain I guess.

And the epsom salts baths- good for lots of stuff I believe!

TerryJ2

I always use ice when my neck is sore. If you have inflammation, Janet, heat will often make it worse.
I don't know which part of your neck hurts, or if you have arthritis, so it's hard to say what you should do. The chiro should have said something. Yes, it can be normal to have a sore neck after an adjustment. But it is more common to feel relief. When you consider how out of whack that spot is, and that it's "put back" quickly, it's going to be sore. He should have given you neck exercises to do once the pain calms down. They're simple: 20-30 seconds tilted to the left; then center; then right. Then turn your head to the left for 20-30 seconds, then center, then right. Don't turn your shoulders. It's easier said than done!
Also, roll up a small towel and put it behind your neck when you sleep. (Operative phrase is "small.") You want to maintain the curve in your neck.
This, coming from a chiro's wife who spends so much time at the computer and drawing board that she has lost the curve in her neck ... :(

BusynMember

Update: Just when I was going to make an appointment. with a good Chiro around here, PT called (finally). My pinched nerve is much better now, so I'm going to hold off on the chiro, unless it gets worse again. It's partly a monetary issue. As for the supplements, this has been such a financially tight month for us that I can't even indulge in that right now, but as soon as we are caught up, I'm going to buy the supplement at our health food store.

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm actually going to a PT session in a half hour :) Terry, special thanks to you since I know your hubby is a Chiro and you didn't HAVE to share any info with me. I really appreciate it.

DammitJanet

Thanks for the info on the exercises. He probably will get around to that but I have only been able to go twice because I have no ride!

Witz...what kind of cane do you have? I have one of those with the 4 legs at the bottom so its more stable. Im trying to figure this out...I put it right between my legs pointing at my ...ummm...crotch area? Then pull up on the curved part? Does the curve point to you or away from you? Does it matter?

I sound like a wounded cow when I try to get up...lol. Cory stopped by the house yesterday and I had to get up to get him one of my last packs of cigs out of the freezer and I was moaning and groaning trying to get up. He asked me what the problem was and I snarkily said..."I was hit by a mack truck remember?"

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet, it is very normal to be sore a day or two after an adjustment, esp if the problems are severe. Drinking lots of non-caffeine/non-soda liquids really helps as it can flush out the byproducts of the muscle spasms out of your system. If you have fibro, often the 2nd day after is the absolute most awful time.

Do you ever get a massage? Can you get your reg or your pain doctor to rx phys therapy massages? One of the best chiro's I have known kept 5 massage therapists on his staff, not all full time or there at the same time, because he wanted patients to come in and have a massage before he worked on them. Why? When the muscles are more relaxed, the adjustments are less painful, less difficult to do (so you get more done) AND they work better and last longer. The better/longer is NOT just his or my opinion. It is written up in reputable journals - I used to read them in the waiting room because the other magazines were more boring. Even before reading about this, I noticed that chiro treatment was more effective after a massage.

As for the length of your legs, having one leg off by millimeters can make a HUGE difference and you might NEVER know unless a doctor or chiro checks. My dad has one leg that is 5 mm (half a centimeter) longer than the other. He had lifelong pain in his legs and back. Having a little thing under the heel of his shorter leg made an amazing difference in his problems. It was NOT immediate because his muscles spent many decades adjusting to that difference and had to become accustomed to the change. About five or six weeks out he was able to walk more, came home from work with more energy, even was willing to go and do things after work that before he was just too tired and sore to do. it didn't solve all his problems, but it made a very significant difference. Over the years he has occasionally forgotten it, or thought he didn't need it any longer. My mom's reaction is not pleasant when he does this, not any more pleasant than when he forgets his blood pressure or other medications. Mostly because he ends up in a lot more pain and pesters her to rub his legs and back more. She doesn't mind doing it usually, but when he causes the pain by being an idiot, well, she isn't patient or nice about that.

susiestar

Roll With It
MWM - if the supplements are cheaper at the drugstore or even Walmart, it is fine to get them there. Generally there isn't a big quality difference and you can save a TON by finding them on sale at non-health food places. My husband and J both taken a calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement and it is less than 1/3 the price at WM or Walgreens than at either of the health food stores here, and less than 1/2 the price at the health food chain store in the city. Glucosamine and chondroitin also really helps husband and the cost at the health food stores is crazy expensive. We get it at Sam's for WAY less. I started buying it there after learning husband was paying over $50 for a bottle that didn't even last a month.

What we get at Sam's is triple strength, meaning it has 1500 mg Glucosamine and 1200 mg Chondroitin and 1000 IU Vit D3 per 2 tablets. Daily dose is 2 tabs instead of the 6 that many other brands call for. We get 2 bottles with 200 tablets each for $40. Each bottle is 100 days worth, which makes the daily cost 20 cents (for 2 tablets). This is a TON less than buying it at any of the health food stores that I have found, incl the chain stores.

DammitJanet

I dont know what is going to happen but I am in so much pain but I cant get to the doctors either. Billy cant take off of work, the insurance company wont call me back and I am just about fed up. I cant afford to rent a car on my own. Tony took off two days this week to take me to the doctor but I didnt realize the guy is closed on wednesday afternoons...sigh.

witzend

Witz...what kind of cane do you have? I have one of those with the 4 legs at the bottom so its more stable. Im trying to figure this out...I put it right between my legs pointing at my ...ummm...crotch area? Then pull up on the curved part? Does the curve point to you or away from you? Does it matter?

I use a cane with a single rubber tip. I know a man who always used an extendable painting pole with a rubber tip so that he could make it as long or as short as he needed at any given moment. You plant it on the ground directly between your feet, grab it with both hands at about chest level, and use it to push yourself up. Where can I send you a video?

Last edited:

DammitJanet

net nut (number sixty two) and the g .com I hope you figured that out. I dont want a bunch of spam...lol

I finally got the rental car yesterday...20 days after the accident. I can now go to the doctors and stuff thankfully. Big honking van...Town and Country. Like I wanted another Chrysler after my Pacifica debacle. But it has 4 wheels and moves so Im not complaining. It have every gadget known to mankind.

I have an appointment to go see the chiro again tomorrow and we are going to start trying some acupuncture. I have never done it before and he doesnt make a big deal out of the fact that he does it so he can decide if he thinks someone would be helped by it. He thinks I might since chiro really doesnt help my knees but the acupuncture can.