InsaneCdn

If the problem is brain "wiring", adding chemicals (as in, medications) to the mix doesn't necessarily help and may be a problem.
If the problem is brain "chemistry"... getting the right chemicals into the mix, can be like a miracle - but the wrong ones either don't work or cause huge problems.

Personally... my brain has both problems - wiring and chemicals - and medications do not solve everything but I cannot function without my stims (for adhd inattentive type).

ready2run

i give my 5yo omega 3. it has to be the right one, and a high dose but it does wonders for him. he gets 2 jameson omega 3 CALM's in the AM and it makes him a much happier boy. and it's just a vitamin, so it doesn't alter him, he's still 100% him, just less hyper and easier to deal with!! it didn't work on the other kids, just this one but it's worth a shot. i'm not sure how many a 13yo would need to take. my lil' guy is 5, he weighs about 45lbs and takes 2. as for the other kids, my 12yo tried medications and they weren't for her. now we are just 'dealing with it'... ugh.. she WAS getting iron, b vitamins and omega 3 which were helping her mood but now she refuses them and i'm not going to force it. my 6yo is def on medications and needs them, if he didn't have them he would not be able to function at all, he is just a mess with out them. but he is not like your son. he is still full of issues even with his medications, they help decrease his violent tendancies and lessen his mood swings. he is still the most difficult child i've ever met.