Christmas Gift Idea

susiestar

Roll With It
As y'all know, the holidays are fast approaching. I am doing all I can to get items as inexpensively as possible this year. Moreso than my usual frugal self.

In the past I have given my niece subscriptions to kids magazines. Nick Jr was the last one. I don't want to do Nickolodeon.

I just came across an ad in my Family Fun magazine. Give a subscription to 2 people for the price of one. It ends up being $5 per year per person.

Seeing that my bro is divorced, and each of them has her half the time, I wondered if this would be a good idea. The parents wouldn't fight over which house the magazine went to, niece could do some of the activities/crafts that take a little longer to do because she would have directions at each of her homes, etc...

I would wrap 2 copies of the Dec edition with some craft supplies for each house.

Is this something a child in kindergarten would like? I have not ever had to deal with the whole 2 household thing but I know that exSIL does NOT like to send school notices or doctor's office info, etc.. to my brother. I thought this might be fun AND keep some of the squabbles away.

Anyone else have cheap/free ideas for Christmas/holiday gifts?

trinityroyal

Susie, this is a great idea. Especially having 2 sets that your niece can use at each house. And yes, it sounds right up a 5-year-old's alley.

Trinity

KTMom91

Miss KT loved the zoobooks, too.

I'm looking for recipes for relishes and things that don't require serious canning skills. I love to bake, and lots of people get breads, cookies, and candy, because Miss KT makes killer fudge, so it's always great to add in the baskets.

We had a family yard sale, and I got lots of new Partylight candle holders, so those are on my giving list...but not to Hubby's family!

Hubby and I are going to Sears tomorrow to choose our gifts to each other and put them on layaway. I really need a new microwave. The one we're using was a gift from my first husband when he and I got married...in 1984. I think I got my money's worth.

Miss KT just wants money. Go figure.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Don't get me started with Zoo Books. They accepted an order from Travis when he was 10.......for Nichole. A surprise he dreamed up.......that I had to fight with the company over. But Nichole did like them. lol

Both Aubrey and Darrin enjoy the kid mags associated with National Geographic. They've gotten them from mother in law since babyhood. (no kidding) There will be no renewals. I can't afford it and neither can mother in law.

But the kids sure have enjoyed them. Although I don't think we ever did anything crafty in them. lol

rlsnights

I make savory refrigerator cranberry sauce each fall to give as gifts to all those folks I want to remember but need something small like teachers. I can often get small pretty canning jars at the thrift stores and I buy the new lids. Run the jars through the dishwasher and they're good to go since the stuff I make I just refrigerate instead of can.

But it can still add up depending on the price of cranberries. I make mine spicy with a LOT of cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg along with about half the sugar most cranberry sauce recipes call for. We like it and most of the people I have gifted it to over the past several years have said they liked it. I guess they meant it because they generally seemed pleased to get it again the next year!

If you want an actual recipe let me know but I would check the price of cranberries if you're going to make a bunch.

Another thing a friend of mine does is the dried soup mixes in jars. You layer the ingredients in so it looks pretty and put a piece of decorative cloth in the lid and voila - pretty and practical gift. Dry bean soup ingredients or pasta based soups are really easy and not too expensive. You can also adjust the recipe for the size family it's going to - just need the right size jar.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If you live in an area where you can still get basil, go for homemade pesto. It's nothing more than a LOT of basil leaves, several minced cloves of garlic, some minced pine nuts (walnuts work well and cost a lot less), and some good ground Romano cheese.

Mix all ingredients in food processor and dribble in extra virgin oilive oil until it has a good consistency.

Plop the stuff into some nice canning jars and then pour a good heavy layer of olive oil over it.

Done like this, it will keep for months in the fridge. Just top up the olive oil if it looks like it is getting a bit 'tired'.

BusynMember

Sounds terrific!!!! What young child isn't thrilled to get "mail" and then it gives her something constructive to do!

I vote "yes.":D

susiequte

I had this little brainstorm the other night for gifts for the neighbors, etc.......I'm going to buy some small Kleenex packages and make a cute little tag/bow to put on it that says "We "tissue" a Merry Christmas!!!" Kind of silly, but with the flu season heavily upon us, very practical.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think its a great idea and every kindergartener I know would LOVE craft supplies and ideas!

You are so creative!

KTMom91

I would love to have both the cranberry relish and the pesto recipes! And if you happen to have any others along those same lines...I would greatly appreciate it.