Christmas is done

Abbey

Spork Queen
My family decided to not exchange gifts this year. We just dropped off a TRUNK load of gifts for the angel tree {Salvation Army). I think we topped off at $1300. It felt so good to do this. No stress for the holiday season. When you have at 13 year old girl asks for a sweater...my heart sank. She got her sweater and a few others.

I might sleep tonight.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
I Believe your gifts will be appreciated for years to come. The first year I left my x, my boss signed me and difficult child up as a Salvation Army family - That was 12 years ago and I have NEVER forgotten the generosity. I couldn't send anything but an anonymous card thanking that high school class for the joy they brought my son. He never said a word at 6 - but I knew he thought without his biodad there Christmas would be miserable - (little did he know x never had a thing to do with buying a single gift -ever)

Christmas morning he woke up and I heard him tiptoe down the hall to see a living room sprawling with gifts. He shut the door and came in trying to conceal his joy. We raced to the living room and he opened gifts of toys, clothes, bathtub junk - and I got a basket with bubblebath, and a gift certificate to a grocery store for $50.00

-you can't buy happiness like you just gave Abbey - I promise you the families you helped will NEVER forget their invisible angel from 2007.

GOOD ON YA!

The year that I left my X, and was in the DV shelter, we got to go a special Christmas thing that a local very large business was sponsoring. They took one of their warehouses and split it up into rooms, and in each one they had tons of gifts. Well first you walk in and you get a cup of coffee and homemade cookies while you go over the paperwork. Then you get a bag and a volunteer to take you from room to room. One room was the puzzle room. One was the hat & gloves room. One was the art room (crayons, markers, paper, paint, coloring books). One was the stocking stuffer room. Then there was the BIG gifts room, which was separated further by age and sex. You got to pick gifts for each of your kids. They had some cool stuff too. Then you went into the adults room, where there were candles, bath sets, trinkets, jewelry, whatever. And you got to pick something for you. And that did not include what you got in the makeup room. They loaded you up with makeup and nail polish and all kinds of goodies. I remember sitting there bawling, I could not believe how kind these people were. Oh, and on your way out, you got a roll of tape and a roll of wrapping paper.

There is no way in the WORLD that I would have been able to give my kids Christmas if it had not been for that charity.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey

I've had to use our local version of the Salvation Army. I think the gifts that years were extra special because they were given by people who had no "obligation" whatsoever to give what they did.

That's just awesome that you were able to share like that. I'm sure the families you've touched this season will never forget it.

Growing up each year my kids each picked a present for their age group for the Toys for Tots. (a lesson in giving back) While shopping with easy child this season I noticed as we were checking out of a Toys R Us in Dayton that she had Darrin drop off the present he had chosen for another 3 yr old little boy. Does the heart proud to see our kids carry on.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok...I admit, I cry at cat commercials.

I cried as we were unloading stuff...but at the same time it felt so good. husband was looking at me like I was a goof. (Guys just don't get it.)

I hope it makes a good holiday for a few.

Abbey

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey,

I'm looking forward to the day when we, as a family, are able to pull this off.

husband & I decided the first year that kt is out of here we will be adopting a Christmas family - at our tender age (both of us 50) neither of us needs nor wants much of anything. What we'd like we tend to take care of ourselves.

Thank you for sharing this with us. You will have a truly blessed holiday this year.

jbrain

Abbey,
my late husband (the kids' dad) had a bone marrow transplant for leukemia in November of 1995 and he had just started a new job that year and we were waiting for his long term disability to kick in so we had very little money and a church took us on as a family for Christmas. I couldn't believe all the gifts we received! The kids still remember that Christmas and how generous people were. It meant so much to us. Thanks for your incredibly generous donation to Salavation Army!

At work we sponsor a Salvation Army family at Christmas each year and it means a lot to us. We have fun having a wrapping party and oohing and aahing over the gifts.

--Jane

Abbey

Spork Queen
They took one of their warehouses and split it up into rooms, and in each one they had tons of gifts. Well first you walk in and you get a cup of coffee and homemade cookies while you go over the paperwork. Then you get a bag and a volunteer to take you from room to room. One room was the puzzle room. One was the hat & gloves room. One was the art room (crayons, markers, paper, paint, coloring books). One was the stocking stuffer room. Then there was the BIG gifts room, which was separated further by age and sex. You got to pick gifts for each of your kids. They had some cool stuff too. Then you went into the adults room, where there were candles, bath sets, trinkets, jewelry, whatever. And you got to pick something for you. And that did not include what you got in the makeup room. They loaded you up with makeup and nail polish and all kinds of goodies. I remember sitting there bawling, I could not believe how kind these people were. Oh, and on your way out, you got a roll of tape and a roll of wrapping paper.

There is no way in the WORLD that I would have been able to give my kids Christmas if it had not been for that charity.

BBK...I LOVE this idea. Hmmm...makes me think about next year. I have some really good contacts here who could host an event like this.

Abbey