Christmas it is!

mstang67chic

Going Green
I don't know how many of you read today's (Monday) Good Morning thread but Marg mentioned Christmas in Oz. I commented on it and she came back with the most tantilizing description. Seafood, picnics on the BEACH in swimsuits....sooooooooo much warm weather stuff.

That's it. This year, we're having Christmas at Marg's!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'll go if I can study the wildlife - taking my bug net, sample jars and explorers backpack for a good hike. I'm sure this will be an expedition led by the famous Marg/Margs Man scientists right?? I mean why just go to go? Let's learn about the fauna & flora and bugs? HOW COOL! OMG I can't wait to see a funnel web spider in real life.

maril

Marguerite's part of the world sounds like it would be a great place to visit. Christmas at the beach would be interesting. I'm used to (usually) cold and sometimes snowy Christmases.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, hmmm... airfare from L.A. to Sydney is ONLY $1,900-ish roundtrip. :( But I think that's peak season... better we go to visit her during OUR summer! Rates are about half right now.

KTMom91

Christmas in Australia has been a long-cherished dream of mine. The idea of dancing on the beach at Christmas, when it's "supposed to" be cold, really appeals to me.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Heck, just come on down south to my neck of the woods, Mary! We've had MANY a beach-weather Christmas Day since I've lived here :D

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
To be absolutely honest, I've NEVER been interested in visiting Australia until I started to read Marg's posts. It just goes to show you how an educated, concerned, diplomatic citizen can be a great advert. for her/his country. I have arachnophobia and would love to meet her on her home turf.

Marguerite

I'd be happy to lead a nature walk. And although I know we have funnelweb spiders around (they're common) we actually rarely see them.

What we see a lot of in our area that amazes overseas visitors - the stars. We have a few spots that are farenough away from light pollution for people to really enjoy a blazing night sky.

One of my favourite Aussie poems is "Clancy of the Overflow" - if I ever come to the US I'll recite it for you. I look up at our night sky and think of these lines "And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended; and at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars."

Even if people come here in midwinter, there are places in the north of Australia where you can enjoy a winter swim in warm tropical waters. Mind you, up there you can find other unusual hazards. An Aussie TV presenter earlier this week (Kerrie-Ann Kennerley) showed her photos form a weekend golf game in Port Douglas; a very unusual hazard there is saltwater crocs that come out of the water to sun themselves on the fairway. She had her ball drop right next to one 2 metre croc and had to decide - play it where it lay, or take a 2 stroke penalty?

I think I'd take the penalty...

Cheaper times to visit Australia in warmer weather are outside our summer holidays, which begin about 20 December and finish about Australia Day. Basically, avoid travelling in the second half of December and all of January. Outside those dates - it should be cheaper.

As for dancing o nthe beach at Christmas - New Years Eve is the biggie for dancing on the beach at midnight. Or you can go into the city and hang around to watch the fireworks on the Harbour. It's one huge party, a very well-behaved one too. They have 9 pm fireworks for the younger kids and it's all televised for people like us who prefer to stay out in the sticks.

Marg