Christmas News :/

Scent of Cedar *

Am I remembering correctly that Louie Zamperini was a bit of a difficult child himself?

Well, I know this belief could just be part of my denial, but most people who change the world are difficult children. Not were difficult children. Are and continue to be difficult children, all their lives.

It's a hard thing, to be their mothers.

I don't mean to be flip or nasty with the following statement. Think what it meant to Mary to watch, and to know, what was happening to her own Son, and the way that was all going to turn out. There was a thread here about that, once.

About the suffering of the Mary.

Cedar

Lil

I don't mean to be flip or nasty with the following statement. Think what it meant to Mary to watch, and to know, what was happening to her own Son, and the way that was all going to turn out. There was a thread here about that, once.

I couldn't help but think about the Infancy Gospel of Thomas when I read that. In the Bible, Jesus goes kind of magically from birth to about 13 to 30. But the Apocryphal Infancy Gospel tells stories of Jesus' childhood. From making clay birds and bringing them to life on the Sabbath, to striking neighbors blind, to literally cursing to death other children that cross him...talk about the ultimate difficult child!

Granted, he reverses the deaths and such later on...but what a thing to deal with!

Scent of Cedar *

I do remember reading those stories, Lil.

I had forgotten.

It was on COM's Highchair Tyrants thread that we discussed the suffering of the Mary. It was a strangeness that Richard Rohr then discussed something similar in one of his pieces. I think I am remembering that correctly. The theme of the piece was acceptance.

How to accept what is.

But I am only me, and so I don't do that very well.

Cedar

HeadlightsMom

Albatross -- Yes, Louie Zamperini was a bit of a difficult child, himself. Not in certain diagnosable ways, but in certain behaviors, oh yes, indeedy. Because of his life challenges (which were severe), he took it to the next level. I find it unfathomable how he survived. Wow. I mean.... W-O-W! I did a fact check on it and it appears there "might" be a wee bit of exaggerating. However, to exaggerate 5 heroic acts out of a 100+ is no big thing to me. The sentiment remains the same. He chose boldness.

Actually, now that I look back on the movie, I think the greatest strength Louie Zamperini lived out (in the film, at least) is that he rarely (if ever) doubted himself past a certain point). He doubted himself constantly in his youth. But once he decided to train to be a runner, he also decided to train to NOT doubt himself. It was pretty clear he wasted no extra energy on doubting himself......he spent ALL of his energy on positives and survival. A great lesson to remember!

HeadlightsMom

Cedar, Pasajes4, Lil -- Yes! One never knows what it took for leaders of compassionate strength to arrive at being leaders of compassionate strength.

Lil --- Yeah, I read the Gospel of Thomas (I read all of the Gnostic Gospels -- I enjoy reading all variety of philosophical and religious texts) and marveled. Who knows? I like reading, learning, questioning, speculating........ I usually learn something valuable. At the very least, I learn the value of opening my mind up to allow questions. :)

Great points!