Chronic hoarseness? What is it?

BusynMember

Anyone who isn't a smoker ever see a doctor for a chronically hoarse voice. My voice even breaks sometimes, especially when I yell loud, like at Jumper's basketball games :) I waited a year to even tell my doctor about it because I didnt think anything of it. Now they want to do a procedure where they can see down my throat and I'm getting nervous. I used to sing a lot, but I don't anymore. I also had a talking job, where I used my voice a lot, but I haven't done that for ten years either. I *do* talk too much and even yell sometimes :rollingpin:sort of like this.

Anyone go through this?
Thanks to anyone who answers...in advance :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
MWM,
I deal with chronic hoarseness. The first time I went to see a dr. about it he referred me to an ENT. They did the procedure you are talking about and found a cyst. I ended up going in for a surgery and it worked for about a year. Then it came back and I saw the ENT again. They did the procedure again and found a lot of scarring. I went through voice therapy hoping to avoid surgery. It helped some but not a lot. However, I'm not sure I want to go through surgery again. I am suppose to teach with a microphone and did for awhile. I'm planning on going back to using the microphone again after break.

The procedure to look down your throat really isn't that bad.

bby31288

Also, someone husband knows had bad acid reflux and he had terrible hoarseness from that. That might be an issue for you.

DammitJanet

Tony's sister had that chronic hoarseness and it turned out to be cancer. The fact that she went into the doctor as soon as did made all the difference in the world. They were able to catch it in time for it to be no problem at all and she is just fine. Small procedure and no complications.

Go get it checked.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
MWM go get checked asap. Seriously. Chronic hoarseness should not be ignored. It's a warning sign of cancer. Does not mean you have it, means it is a warning sign and you need to have it checked out right away.

Hugs

BusynMember

Thanks. Now I'm REALLY scared...lol.
I've already had this for over a year. I didn't think much of it. I'm going to try to get in right away.
Also, I do have acid reflux pretty bad. I'm h oping it's something like that.

J

joneshockey

A few years back my sister also had a issue with having a VERY horse voice... She went through numerous scopes, etc during her first year of horseness and was eventually dignoised with a condition called spasmodic dysphonia. This is a neurological disorder that causes involuntary contractions of the muscles that control the vocal cords. She ended up having botox injections into her neck that helped her regain her use of her voice. She had 3 or 4 injections 6 months apart and now has been horse-free for the past 1 - 1 1/2 years. I hope that you are able to get in soon to see a dr. so that they can begin to figure out what is causing your issue.

ctmom05

I can't say as I've shared your experience, but I am typing this as I sit in the treatment room(chemo). Don't second guess, don't sweat or fret; just make a doctor's appointment and take care of business, please:)

tiredmommy

Good job. Reflux can lead to Barrett's Esophagus, which is a risk factor for throat cancer. Please update when you can. Good luck!

J

joneshockey

Glad to hear that you got an appointment today... look forward to hearing about it.