Chronic Sinus Infections

N

Nomad

Last nine months have been nightmarish healthwise. Atypical trigeminal neuralgia, Sjorgern's Syndrome diagnosis, Dry Eyes, IBS and now chronic sinus infection. One doctor also thinks I have Fibromyalgia. Also, some stuff with difficult child. I'm trying to hold it together. Lots of pain. I've had some improvement with the atypical trigeminal neuralgia, getting on Desipramine (like Elavil) and a compounded cream for my face with three things, including lots of Gabapentin. Also, the acupuncture is helping. Thank you for everyone for your help/advice/thoughts in the past.
I have Percocet for breakthrough pain. I am so grateful for the improvement.

I have noticed that lately, I have had more than my fair share of sinus infections. I was diagnosis'd with one on Thursday of last week. They are coming more and more rapidly. My ENT was out of town, so I went to the emergi clinic. I had a 100 fever and all the syomptoms and he gave me two weeks of antibiotics...which are killing my stomach. The doctor there was wondering if the Sjorgern's, which drys me out, might be at least partially to blame. No normal flow, and an inability to get rid of bacteria.

I DID feel some signs of one coming on about 10 days ago. I ignored it (maybe dumb) in hopes it would go away or it was my imagination.

This happened years ago and I went to one of those drug store clinics and the nurse there said I was just about to get an infection, and prescribed a nasal spray and said that this should stop that from happening. It was an RX. For the life of me, I can't remember what in the world that spray was. It was not Flonase. I think it was for allergies.

Anyone have a clue what it might have been? Anyone have any suggestions??? HELP!!!!

Many thanks!!!!

TerryJ2

Hi Nomad, you just can't get a break, can you?
Sheesh.
My mom had Sjogren's but I don't remember her having a lot of sinus infections. She did have to do eye drops and drink a lot of water. You've been to an ENT, right?
I have a friend who coughed for two mo's straight, and thought she had bronchitis. Instead, the dr diagnosis'd her with-an ear infection, like babies get! The dr said it was really unusual for adults to get middle ear infections.
I'm just telling you this so that you and your doctors can think outside of the box a little bit.

In regard to the RX, wouldn't your pharmacy have it on record? And surely the dr's ofc would have it written down.

Good luck!

scent of cedar

Are you currently taking something like Claritin? Loratadine is the OTC generic name. I was plagued by recurring sinus infections until I began using the Claritin. (Zyrtec, etc) When my sinuses are stuffy from allergens, I will use an OTC nasal decongestant for a few days, as well.

I hope you find the answer that helps you, Nomad. Sinus infections are no fun.

Barbara

Lothlorien

This is my absolute favorite sinus medication. My husband can take them, even with BiPolar (BP) medications. I never go anywhere without this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Sinus...&qid=1361224402&sr=8-1&keywords=hylands+sinus

I have suffered with them for years also. I realized that candle burning was causing a lot of my problems, so I don't burn them and I ask that they be put out if I go anywhere where they are. They cause me to have asthma now...I've never had asthma before.

My chiro has suggested that if your ph level is off, this can also cause more colds/infections. This make sense to me.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry you are suffering so.

While allergy medications are important, they can CAUSE sinus infections, esp in people wth sjogrens or other conditions that lead to dry eyes, dry mouth, etc.... Lack of estrogen due to menopause can also contribute. The problem is that allergy medications cause your mucus membranes to dry out. Sjogrens and lack of estrogen can also cause this, so if you have several of these things? You need to be careful.

If/when you need an antihistamine, whether it is benadryl, claritin, zyrtec, allegra or whatever, you also need to take some other medications. I would recommend mucinex and sudafed. It can be the generic version of mucinex, which is generally not time released. Personally, the instant release is better for you it is hard to get the time release to work for the entire twelve hours, and often that is a big problem for those of us iwth either stomach troubles/IBS or if we are taking a lot of other medications. Also don't take combo medications if you can help it. Sure it is a hassle to take four pills rather than one, but it is better because you only take what you need at that time. The old sudafed that you have to sign for now is the best for sinus problems. It just works better when you have problems than the other stuff does.

Many people don't understand what each of these medications does. Antihistamines stop your body from reacting to things, and it will dry up the mucus flow. Mucinex is an expectorant and it makes the mucus less sticky, which means it is easier to cough up or to get out of your sinus cavities. Decongestants make the mucus thinner which also helps with sinus infections.

I have had lifelong chronic sinus problems and so have both my parents. We have yet to have an ENT tell us to take antihistamines during an infection. Usually they tell us to try to tough out the other symptoms because the antihistamines make it very hard for the thick, sticky mucus that clogs the sinus cavities to come out. IF we take an antihistamine for other symtoms, either eye drops or a topical cream if there is a rash is recommended. People with chronic sinus problems should NEVER take antihistamines with-o decongestants (sudafed) and expectorants (mucinex). If you have nausea and are prescribed phenergan (promethazine), be aware it is an antihistamine and will act on allergies and you should not take oral antihistamines with it.

Either a neti pot or a sinus rinse bottle (both are made by neilmed and are in most pharmacies) is a VERY good thing. It will actually help with allergies as well as sinus issues. The water will wash away allergens and some people find this more effective than taking antihistamines. They also help wash the mucus out of your sinus cavities and this can be a big help with any sinus problem.

When you buy the container, you will get little packets to dissolve in distilled water. ALWAYS use distilled water as the chlorine and minerals in other types of water will do a number on you. The packets are salt and baking soda at a ratio of 3 parts salt and one part baking soda. You can mix this yourself when you have used the packets. just put 1/8 tsp into 8 oz water n your neti pot or sinus rinse bottle. I think the big difference between the neti and the rinse is how you do it. With a neti pot you pour the water into your nose while you are looking up at the ceiling. It gets messy so most people I know do it in the shower. with the sinus rinse bottle you lean over the sink and squeeze and the water goes up into your nose and comes out with-o dripping all over you. The first few tmes are not a lot of fun, but it isn't unpleasant or painful and the benefit can be huge.

I do strongly recommend using ayr saline gel after the rinse or neti pot. It will keep the membranes in your nose from drying out. Just put a small amt on a qtip and put it on the insides of your nostrils.

A warm rice bag on your eyes will also be a big help. it helps loosen up the gunk in your sinus and makes them feel better. Ibuprofen or aleve will help wtih the inflammation and can be helpful.

If the nasal spray was an antihistamine, could it have been astelin? Nasty taste but works well?

Mom2oddson

I had a terrible time with sinus infections, had one every other month for years until I was told to add a good probiotic to my sinus rinse. I (knocking on wood) haven't had one for two years. The one I use is Bio-Kult. I open a capsule and add it to the water. It's supposed to put "good guys" up there to keep things in check.

tiredmommy

I've often had sinus infections and have found that regular use of nasal saline solution has been a safe and effective way to prevent them. I like this because it's OTC.

Some rx sprays include nasonex, nasacort, ipratropium (Atrovent), fluticasone propionate (Flonase), budesomide (Rhinocort). There are others, but these are the most common nasal cortosteroids being prescribed recently.