Cinnamon Nut Twirls

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This is a recipe that was my grandmother's from Poland. I received it from my Aunt at my Dad's funeral back in 1991, many many years after my Grandmother had passed away. I only met the woman twice.

<u>Cinnamon Nut Twirls</u>

*Grease two cookie sheets

You will need:

1LB Margarine (DO NOT use butter or vegetable shortening)

4 Eggs

6 Tbs Sugar

2 tsp Vanilla

~~~~~~~~

4 C Flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1/4 C water

1 package of dry yeast

~~~~~~~~~

1 1/2 C crushed/chopped walnuts

1 1/2 C Sugar

1 Tbs Ground Cinnamon

1) Dissolve yeast in 1/4 C warm water, stir gently and then add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar. Set aside.

2) Mix together margarine, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Then add yeast and then flour. Dough will be very wet. Wrap and chill overnight.

3) Mix remaining sugar, nuts, & cinnamon in a bowl. You will use this to roll the dough out.

4) Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and rewrap and chill the dough balls you are not rolling out.

5) Roll ball out into shape of pie crust using the cinn/sugar/nut mixture instead of flour. Cut your rolled out circle into 16 pieces (cut like a pie). Then, beginning from the outside, roll each piece inward (it will look like a little croissant).

6) Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350*F for about 18-20 minutes or until nicely golden brown.

This recipe yields 96 pieces and they freeze extremely well! When you take them out of the freezer you let them thaw at room temp and then you can heat them up in the oven wrapped in foil - yummy! I usually freeze about 2/3 for the holidays and we gobble up the rest immediately. These have become a family favorite and I make them every year. We're making them this Saturday before easy child goes back to college. Can't wait! Enjoy!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I don't know why not butter exactly....but I've tried it using butter and they didn't come out the same. The recipe actually says, "Oleo"...hahahaha. Talk about OLD.