Circle of support and prayer request for Serentityprayer and her difficult child...

DammitJanet

Ugh...so sorry to hear this. Hope if its pancreatitis that its an acute case caused by the medication and wont go chronic. He is way too young to deal with that. Prayers being said from here.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks so much, everyone. SP's not been able to go online but will try to next time she gets back home (likely Monday night). His lipase was over 1300 when he was admitted and is down below 700 today, so that is encouraging. Hopefully tomorrow will bring continued improvement in his condition!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
prayers and good thoughts coming from Virginia. It all sounds too familiar. Give her a hug when you ee her, gcvmom.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks again, everyone. Saw them again this morning. Poor little guy had a rough night -- started to sleepwalk due to a full bladder and did a face plant out of his bed onto the floor, ripping out both IV's :( Then they couldn't get a new one started after 13 pokes. Gave him a break for a few hours so he could rest, then they tried the IV again (this time with the "expert" nurse) and it finally worked. SP said they were talking about doing a central line, but don't know if that's still going to happen. He got a visit from a wonderful therapy dog this afternoon -- his whole face lit up and it really helped get his mind off things. His numbers are slowly improving, but he's still got a ways to go before he can take anything orally or even think about going home. Hopefully SP can go home tonight to rest while her husband takes this night shift. It's taking a toll on all of them :(

Tiapet

Old Hand
OUCH! That doesn't sound so good or nice. Poor thing! :( I hope they don't have to do a central line on him. Therapy animals can be a wonderful thing. I'm glad that they had that
available to him. :) I hope everyone can rest and not get to weary and the little one can get home soon. Especially see improvement quickly.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, SP says his lipase is down to just under 200 today (normal is 10), but he is still in a great deal of pain and nausea, especially if he moves around much. He is getting a visit from some classmates today, so that should be a bright spot in his day. She indicated they were going to go ahead with the central line because his arm veins just aren't holding up very well with all the different fluids being pumped into him. :(

We're going to see if her easy child wants to come over after school for a break tomorrow to visit. She's just a year older than my easy child (who is a year older than her difficult child) and the girls know eachother.

busywend

GVC - you are a wonderful friend!

More prayers being sent - come on we have got to get this board magic working!!!!!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Things are slowly improving on the GI front for SP's difficult child. He finally had a bm today, his pain is much improved and he's not needing the morphine nearly as often as before. He'll likely get to try taking some liquid by mouth today. On the psychiatric front, however, things are not very good, and he's deteriorating the more he physically improves because except for Ativan, he's off all his psychiatric medications (Depakote & Seroquel).

The GI doctor was a little too honest with difficult child last night about when he'd get to go home, which triggered a viiolent two hour rage because he was not happy about the prospect of staying in the hospital longer. The Ativan they've been giving him is not as effective, so he may be developing a tolerance to it. SP's husband does not want to try Lamictal (does not like the black box warning on it), which was the psychiatrist's suggested replacement for the Depakote which everyone agrees caused the pancreatitis. And her husband also does not want to let them put difficult child back on Seroquel. In the mean time, difficult child is simply out of control. He got mad at SP last night and deliberately peed on her head while she was laying on the cot next to his bed. :surprise: And now SP has caught her easy child's cold, so she's feeling even more exhausted... hopefully her husband will cover night shifts for now so she can just rest.

Keep the prayers comin'. And if anyone has suggestions for anxiety medications to pass along, let me know. I already suggested she ask about klonopin since the ativan's not working -- SP takes it herself so she's familiar with it. I think they are just so worried about another medication triggering more GI problems for difficult child that they are afraid to try anything. But clearly this poor kid needs help. :(

Oh, and SP just sent me a message to say his lipase is back up again over 200, unfortunately -- but they are still going to try him on oral liquids today.

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Looks like they're going to give klonopin a try. I passed along some info about it that Smallworld gave on a thread over on General, too. I hope it works.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Good news! He's doing well enough to go home tonight!!! He had some jello and juice yesterday afternoon, then graduated to a few bites of chicken for dinner last night. He's tolerating small amounts of food, and his bowels are finally working, so he can go home! Don't think his lipase is stabilized yet, but it must be low enough that they feel he can continue recuperating at home. SP said the klonopin seems to be holding him o.k. there, but the real test will be when they get home and he's back in familiar surroundings.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes. Hopefully SP will have time to update us in the next day or so when she catches her breath!