Circle of Support for flutterby

tiredmommy

Flutterby's beloved dog, Jewel, passed away suddenly last evening at home. Please join me in offering comfort to Heather as she deals with the grief of losing Jewel.

Sending caring & supportive thoughts and the hope that cherished memories will help you through this difficult time.

Reaching out from New York State to...

New Jersey. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved family member...many hugs. Reaching out to....

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I know flutterby is having a not-so great week, what with difficult child problems and her beloved puppy... I just wanted to let her know I am here for her!

Grabbing on in Ohio & raching out to...

busywend

Step started a thread, too, so I merged them together.

Sending supportive hugs your way. Our furbabies are so special. I am so sorry.

Reaching out to...

buddy

Oh I am so sorry. Pets are just so wonderful. Hugging you and sending support in this hard time.... from MN to....

donna723

I am so sorry that you have lost your good friend. I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved pet. Many warm hugs to you.

rejectedmom

Heather i am so sorry for your loss. A pet adds so much to our lives and leaves a big hole in our hearts and our lives when they pass on. ((hugs)) -RM

flutterby

Fly away!
Thank you all. Jewel was a very special dog, like Janet said, and so very close to my heart. I miss her so much. I missed her right away.

Jewel has had problems with her lungs since November. She was developing bullas (sp) (blister like anomalies in the lung that fill with air/and or fluid). When they burst, they cause a pneumothorax. She had a spontaneous pneumothorax in November, and she was at the emergency vet for 4 days with a chest tube and she healed. 4 days later she went back, and had a very large bulla filled with air and fluid that hadn't ruptured. She had surgery and had 2 lung lobes removed - 25% of her lung. The chance of recurrence was very low. 2 weeks later - the day after her staples were removed - she developed what I think was another pneumothorax. The xrays weren't conclusive and we treated with antibiotics in the hopes it was just an infection, but based on her symptoms I believe it was a pneumothorax. She recovered at home, although the first night I wasn't sure she was going to make it. A couple of weeks ago, she had another pneumothorax and x-rays showed 2 more bulla - one on the left the size of an egg and one on the right the size of a nickle. The one on the right had ruptured. They tapped her chest and got 1200mL of air out. She recovered at home.

I had resigned myself that this was just going to be something she goes through. I wasn't willing to put her through another surgery, as it is a very hard surgery and recovery - they crack the chest. And there is only so much lung they can take. I felt like anymore surgery would be torture. Information that I read online - although it was in reference to people - said that once it happens once, it's more likely to happen again, and most of the time the patients are sent to recover at home. It gave me hope.

Last night, it was obvious that she had another pneumothorax. However, her breathing wasn't as bad as the last one and her gums weren't pale, so I wasn't horribly worried - not beyond the normal worry you have when your baby is sick. I was planning on taking her to the vet this morning and having her chest tapped to relieve discomfort.

She suddenly went downhill very quickly. I called the vet and left a message on the emergency line. Jewel died in my arms while I was on the phone with the vet. From the time I called the vet til the vet called me back and Jewel died was no more than 5 minutes. Her lungs collapsed. Either that larger bulla burst, or she had developed more. I'm so glad I was home. Jewel was panicked. It was horrible. I'm glad she went quickly.

I was at my mom's last night and was planning on hanging out for a bit, when I suddenly felt the need to go home. I told my mom that I had to leave because Jewel was alone. She was fine when we got home, but started the pneumothorax symptoms within an hour or two after.

It's always hard when you lose a furbaby, but Jewel was even more special. She was my constant companion and my best friend. She never knew a stranger and she loved us so much. I ache. It hurts so much. I miss her so much. I sat with her body for a long time last night, stroking her.

difficult child is devastated. What makes it even worse is she was having a good day yesterday - a day where she was enjoying things. Something that hasn't happened for quite a long time. Then this.

We are taking her today to have her cremated. My stepfather does woodturning and has made some pet urns. My mom is bringing one up.

It will be a long time before the house feels right again. It feels empty.

InsaneCdn

{{hugs}}, Flutterby.
We know what its like to lose a pet... unless you've had a really special one, you really don't understand.

Malika

How good that you were with her when she died.
Will you be able to have a memorial place for her somewhere? Perhaps with an inscription?
Sorry for your grief.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Heather, I'm so glad you were home and holding her in your arms. What a comfort that must have been for her. :9-07tears:I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hugs,
Suz