Clothing style ideas for short stocky woman in her 30's ???

DDD

An acquaintance will be interviewing for a new job where "dressing up" is required. She owns one dress and one pair of heels. She is short (maybe ? 5') and her body is kinda "barrell shaped". Does anyone know what style of dress would be flattering? I'm not into fashion and never had trouble with finding things that fit me... until now, lol.

Anyone into this topic? I'm guessing that above the knee length would elongate her appearance. I'm guessing that avoiding a belt is smart. I'm guessing that ?? maybe a dress that flows free from under the bust might be good. Perhaps a dark skirt with a top worn outside and a few inches below the waist?

This is not of huge importance to me but I started thinking about her and realized I wouldn't know how to help if/when asked. If you have any ideas or experience feel free to share. Thanks. DDD

InsaneCdn

No matter how short you are, do NOT wear above the knee for office... and especially not for interview.
Just below knee is fine for a shorter, stockier person.
Dark colors are more slimming - and more professional

DDD

Interesting input on skirt length. I was thinking that just above the knee would make her legs look longer. See?? That's why I asked for input. Thanks. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
IC is correct.

I'm short and slightly stocky (right now). Pleats at the waist, whether it be a skirt or slacks, are BAD IDEAS. A slightly fitted top with flat-front slacks or a just-below-the-knee length skirt. A fitted blazer is good. With pants, a belt helps to break up the visual line and will actually make a person appear slimmer.

Black is always a good choice.

I caution against a dress; it looks less professional, more garden party/funeral.

Heels - for a this body type, a kitten heel would be best. No more than 2". Peep-toe or closed toe, not sandals.

...I wear jeans and tennis shoes to work... LOL!

DDD

Yikes, now she is told that tats can not show. Long sleeves will be needed. Whoa! Challenge time. lol DDD

InsaneCdn

It's October. I'd be assuming long sleeves any way!
Yes, tats must be covered for interviews.
Jewellery including any piercings must be downplayed.
Low-key make-up, if she uses it.

trinityroyal

Okay. Interview-suitable wardrobe for a warm climate. Here's what I expect to see from the hiring side of the desk:

Straight or A-line skirt, knee length, neutral colour (tan, grey, black, or navy blue). Nothing bright, any patterns should be subtle.
Jacket, long-sleeved, single-breasted if possible, high "stance" -- in other words the top button is high enough that the jacket doesn't gape over the bustline. Colour to match or complement the skirt. Fabric such as linen, cotton, or linen blend that breathes well.
Camisole or lightweight blouse under the jacket. This can be a bright colour that goes with the jacket and skirt.
Pantyhose if at all possible. If not, then well groomed bare legs -- properly shaved, moisturized, no tattoos -- makeup can hide these if necessary.
Sensible pumps. Closed toe full shoes or slingbacks, with a modestly high heel. 2 to 3 inches works best. A neutral colour that works nicely with the outfit.

To address the height issue: Try to have a single colour, with one contrasting element. So...beige skirt, beige blouse, beige shoes, navy blue jacket. Or tan suit, tan shoes, bright coloured blouse.

Hair neatly combed, in a style that looks competent but not fussy. Not too "done" or dressy, but not sloppy. A low ponytail with a dressy clasp works well. Not too much hair spray, just enough to keep things neat.

Options, if the skirt-suit isn't feasible:

A simple, sheath style dress with a matching jacket.
A trouser suit.
Even a summer dress can work, if it's paired with a nice jacket and it's not too frilly or flouncy or flowery.

InsaneCdn

Remember, guys, we live in FLORIDA. The girl is going to sweat. lol DDD

ROFL... as in, that would NEVER have crossed my mind, as I sit here "buried" in snow, and about to go up and wrap myself up in a blanket (I refuse to pay the cost to heat the house to "shirtsleeve" temps!)

DDD

Thanks again, guys. I had forgotten that there is "tat coverup". Thank heavens none of the eight kids ever did a tat!
I'm sure that I will be asked for input and now I'm confident in my response. The hiring process is lengthly so it may be months before she knows. The pay, however, is great and that's highly unusual in our community. Thanks. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Just a heads-up about covering tattoos...

I covered my shoulder tat when husband and I got married. Well... I got special tattoo-covering makeup from the professional costumery - 4 colors - blended, and I could NOT get my tat covered. At best it was muted.

susiestar

Roll With It
To cover her tattoos I would have her start at Sephora with some of their products. That woman with the tv show, Kat someone or other with the hairless cat, came out with a line that is supposed to do an excellent job at covering them. She can probably test the product there and if it is not up to what she needs then she can leave it there. I think there are few products that can completely cover a tattoo, but some makeup products might make it less obvious under a light colored shirt. I used to manage servers at a restaurant where the dress code included white shirts. It is darn hard to wear a white shirt and not have many tattoos show through it, or it was then. There were not many things other than heavy pancake makeup (the old Max Factor brand - yuck when it is all over you!) that would help some of the tattoos stay covered even under the heaviest white shirt Land's End made.

She NEEDS to shop only in petite departments. Clothes from reg departments will almost always make a short person look dumpy. If she shops the sales, she may want to try Talbot's petites. I have a LOT of short friends and we almost all feel that Talbots petites fit very very well. Few of us can afford them, but if we see they have a sale, or we find an outlet, we let each toher know. If we can afford it, we pick things up at thrift stores if we think another of us will like it. Liz Claiborne also has petites that tend to fit well on many body types of petite women. If your friend is plus sized, Liz Claiborne has some petites in her pllus size Elizabeth line that are well worth trying.

I would have her go to a very nice department store or store that specializes in petites. Tell her to try on everything she can. She should amke notes or even take photos of herself in the mirror so that she can see what looks good and what doesn't. She can then use those notes and photos to help her shop at sales and esp at thrift stores. TJ Maxx and Ross and Marshalls may have options for her, and if there is a store that specializes in close outs (buying merchandise that is on sale/out of season at other stores to sell at a discount) she can keep her eyes peeled for the petites when they have them.

Quality really matters in petites, esp for business clothes. At first she may need to rely on stores like Walmart, Kmart, etc... but over time she should focus on shopping at sales and thrift stores for better quality, classic clothing so that she can be more upwardly mobile by fitting in with the bosses. I was always told to dress at least as well as your boss and his/her peers, or their immediate boss if you would like to be promoted.

I hope this helps!

snowflakeleona

I would suggest sewing some tops and buying some pants. The tops can have kind of an A-line to it and if your legs are slim--stretch pants. There are many beautiful flowered patterns in the fabric store. These things will make you feel good and look good. It will take the eye off the fatness.

snowflakeleona

If you are chunky like me you kind find a nice dress in the pattern books. I have one I really like that has tucks up by the neckline and go down before the waist. I also made it in a small blue flowered fabric which is really beautiful. I really enjoy and it is kind of a passion to pick out something like this.